Rush Set List History

Fiddles

Not sure if this has been answered in the past but was curious if anyone knew if Rush has ever commented on a looser 'change the set every night' type of tour. I realize with the lights and videos this would be impossible. However if they ditched all of that stuff and just did a tour with stripped down effects it would liberate them to play whatever they wanted night to night. Seems like this would be alot more fun than playing the same set for 3-9 months or however long they tour.

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Apr 18 2008, 10:49 AM)
It sure would be cool! But it's just not possible with Rush music. WAY too much production now. They might could have done it in the very early days when it was just 3 guys playing their instruments. Impossible now unfortunately. no.gif

Hes right!

How about they just plug in their guitars and synths, place the drums in the right spot, turn on the microphones and voila! a band is ready to play.

Yeah, the guys pre-loading the effects of different songs into the computers wouldnt know what to do...Gump for instance...wouldnt know to load Mystic Rhythms or Red Sector A for Neil's kit until the last minute...would be too difficult.

That would be an organizational disaster for the crew... lighting and effects have become an important part of the show and I'd rather keep those instead of a constantly changing set. That, and it would be pretty disappointing if they played a certain song (i.e., a favourite, or just a real rarity) on one night and not another, because everyone can't just go to multiple shows... confused13.gif

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Apr 18 2008, 10:49 AM)
It sure would be cool! But it's just not possible with Rush music. WAY too much production now. They might could have done it in the very early days when it was just 3 guys playing their instruments. Impossible now unfortunately. no.gif

You know, an easy way to add a song would be an unexpected acoustic jam. I know Geddy said they wanted to try an acoustic "Second Nature" before. I think it was before the Vapor Trails tour.

i would rather see them play fewer cities but for two nights. they already know rush fans travel so the first night would be say from 1975-1990 and then 1990-2007. somethig like that.

QUOTE (theworkingman23 @ Apr 18 2008, 03:50 PM)
They would never do that. An enormous amount of rehearsing would have to go into it and it would be too much work for the crew. Go see Dream Theater. They will change the set list every night and play Jacobs Ladder.

goodpost.gif

Last year in Denver DT played Marillion's Sugar Mice. I nearly crapped myself!

......AHHHHHH! Here come the DT haters--Run away, run away!

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Apr 18 2008, 01:21 PM)
QUOTE (theworkingman23 @ Apr 18 2008, 03:50 PM)
They would never do that. An enormous amount of rehearsing would have to go into it and it would be too much work for the crew. Go see Dream Theater. They will change the set list every night and play Jacobs Ladder.

goodpost.gif

Last year in Denver DT played Marillion's Sugar Mice. I nearly crapped myself!

......AHHHHHH! Here come the DT haters--Run away, run away!

bolt.gif

QUOTE (glennb2112 @ Apr 18 2008, 03:33 PM)
i would rather see them play fewer cities but for two nights. they already know rush fans travel so the first night would be say from 1975-1990 and then 1990-2007. somethig like that.

As long as Cleveland/NE Ohio is included! smile.gif

I like the idea, and in the near future it could be a distinct possibility.

In another thread i said this will probably be one of there last "big" extended tours and expect fewer cities on next tour itinerary.

How do i know this?

Don't know just a gut feeling based on ticket sales lagging on second leg of S&A 08. Plus the age factor.

That's a tough one. Leaving aside the crew issues, I can see both sides of it. I'm the kind of fan who likes to attend multiple shows by bands I love when I can afford it, and the same-old-same-old setlist can get kinda frustrating. This time around, though, I can only afford to see Rush once and I'm glad I'm not going to miss any "special treats."

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 18 2008, 05:53 PM)
I think once they started headlining shows (2112/ATWAS era), they started playing a fixed setlist every tour.

That sounds believable yes.gif

I wish Rush shook up the set list more for the second leg of this tour. They have to know there are going to be plenty of multiple show attendees from the first leg, right? unsure.gif

Why can't they come up with two set lists and alternate that way? confused13.gif

Anyway, I'm going again and I'm 99.9% certain I will have a blast. yes.gif

Not to beathorse.gif , but it would be cool if they swapped out maybe 1 spot in the set list every night with maybe 3 or 4 different songs. That way the people attending multiple concerts would get a little more variety and look forward to a 'surprise'. Perhaps pick from some of their older, simpler tunes so it wouldn't be as difficult from a production standpoint.

Archived