S&A Live recording

DallasRUSHian

I've seen a lot of positive response to S&A Live, which is great since so many of us have high standards for Rush!

This time I'm going to disagree with how great the live record sounds. Here's why:

1. The mix is lopsided. I think guitar and cymbals really dominate, and bass guitar is faint. The bass riff throughout Digital Man should stand out, and I can barely hear it! sad.gif At least I can hear the Rickenbacker somewhat on Bangkok.

2. The sound is as if you are sitting 40 rows back in the audience, and there is a lot of echo.

I LOVE the setlist, but not the recording. From a sound standpoint I still think Different Stages is the best live album.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 16 2008, 02:35 PM)
Just curious, have you listened to this with headphones on?

i agree with WCFIELDS if he's saying that headphones are not the best way to listen to this unless they are quality headphones. the new live album sounds great on my bose headphones and it sounds good on my speakers. the ipod headphones are not very good...

I listen to the album through my Koss phones, and they are really good. The reason for why I'm doing it, is because my amplifier broke down some time ago, and my PC speakers can't handle treble. So I'm sitting here listening to the album now, and I'm quite excited by how good it sounds in my head phones. I haven't listened to DS that much, but it arrived in my mail box today, so I'll give it a shot, some time after I'm done listening to S&A Live. I get flashbacks from the live gig in Oslo right now! unsure.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 16 2008, 01:35 PM)
Just curious, have you listened to this with headphones on?

Good point. And no, I haven't.

I do hope the upcoming DVD sounds differently. Regardless, I'll still rock out!

cool.gif

QUOTE (callmejim @ Apr 16 2008, 04:33 PM)
What does it sound like through a god hi-fi set up?
That's where i usually listen to music.

The production is very good.......I think most can agree upon this.............

I have to agree that it sounds like you're way back in the house. The sound is not very "up-front." But it does sound good on my car stereo. The bass isn't punchy, but it's really deep. If you've got a system that can really crank out the low frequencies it's heavy-duty.

One other thing I've noticed is that the ride cymbal really cuts through, almost kind of cowbell-like. It's not necessarily the greatest sound, but it does accentuate how rhythmically precise Neil is. I've actually kind of felt that he sounds a bit sloppy on the last few live albums (Different Stages onward), so it's nice to hear him really locking in on this recording.

For me A Show of Hands is still their best live album, but that's probably because it was my first real introduction to the band!

I listened to it in my car on my way home from Best Buy yesterday. I had to turn the bass all the way down. And it was still like "dude whats with all the bass?!?" and i cant even hear Geddy's bass! Its a very weird sounding mix and I put it at the bottom of the list. I have bootlegs that sound better.

I think it sounds great. Perfect mix of everything.....that is through my crappy car stereo....it's going to sound differant on everyones stereos, car radios, surround...etc....

This is by far the best live recording by them. Vocals are loud enough this time around, drums are a little more 'tight' and up front in the mix. The bass isn't too trebly it's nice and thick and the guitar doesn't have an over abundance of 'delay' or 'reverb' like R30.

I LOVE IT! Circumstances is badass live....

I dont know if any of you have heard the sound system on a Buick Park Ave. Ultra but it is incredible. And every other Rush live album sounds like its right there in front of you on it...but S&A Live just sounds too distant and drowned out.

QUOTE (DallasRUSHian @ Apr 16 2008, 10:29 AM)
I've seen a lot of positive response to S&A Live, which is great since so many of us have high standards for Rush!

This time I'm going to disagree with how great the live record sounds. Here's why:

1. The mix is lopsided. I think guitar and cymbals really dominate, and bass guitar is faint. The bass riff throughout Digital Man should stand out, and I can barely hear it! sad.gif At least I can hear the Rickenbacker somewhat on Bangkok.

2. The sound is as if you are sitting 40 rows back in the audience, and there is a lot of echo.

I LOVE the setlist, but not the recording. From a sound standpoint I still think Different Stages is the best live album.

I think guitar and cymbals really dominate, and bass guitar is faint

o, im sorry, i thought you were talking about the R30 mix.................... ph34r.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (callmejim @ Apr 16 2008, 05:33 PM)
What does it sound like through a god hi-fi set up?
That's where i usually listen to music.

I actually thought it sounded pretty good. The definition of the bass actually stood out for me on a few of the songs.

On:

Pioneer Elite VSX94 Receiver

Pioneer Elite DV48

(using straight HDMI 1.3A)

Vienna Acoustics Mozarts for speakers

Martin Logan Dynamo 10" for Sub

On an unrelated tangent, did they not include the intros. on S&A Live? I mean the intros to open the show, the Bob & Doug intro to Larger Bowl, the intro to open the second set...

No, they wouldn't fit on 2 cds and they work better when you can actually see them anyway. They'll be on the dvd for sure. This is consistent with the other recent live albums, Different Stages, Rush in Rio, and R30 have almost all intro stuff removed too.

Well, I`m still waiting for my copy (hurry up Postie !), but I have managed to listen to several tracks both on my (cheap) MP3 player and my "decent" Cambridge system. wink.gif

Sounds really good on my MP3 player with Sony headphones (as does almost everything I play, including Vapour Trails !). Downstairs, on the Cambridge, I`d say this is a very good live recording. It`s great to hear crisp and clear cymbals, and the bass is nice and deep. It does remind me of the UK shows in Sheffield, Manchester and Birmingham, only it`s clearer. The dynamic range is quite good too, it sounds quite "punchy". As usual, Rush`s music gives any system something to chew on, they are three noisy wotsits !

I ordered the CD from Rush Pre-sale, so I am still waiting for it to show up in my mailbox...so I figured I'd read about your opinions on the Concert. Then I will rock out, hopefully by Saturday.

Doing my best to remain spoiler free here. ph34r.gif

So far so good. 2.gif

Archived