"Nobody Listens To Those Twenty Minute Songs"

Sticklah

A somewhat ridiculous thing to say, I mean if nobody listened to them bands would stop writing them. Let's be honest here there aren't many people who highlight Pigs On The Wing as their favourite track on Animals. Of course people listen to them. However some "epics" do seem a little forced, some of the longer stuff Spock's Beard have come out with for example goes nowhere and is quite boring, you know, 20 minute songs for the sole reason it's the Prog thing to do or whatever.

Personally I love nothing more than a well written epic piece, Hemispheres, 2112, Dogs, Close To The Edge, This Strange Engine, Supper's Ready, A Change Of Seasons... but they're not the sort of songs you're gonna be able to appreciate after a single listen, it just doesn't work like that, there's too much to take in. If you're patient and can set aside the time and effort to listen to one of these tunes all the way through chances are you'll find something to enjoy, I always suggest Close To The Edge as the perfect introduction to epics, a lot of the vocal melodies reappear throughout the song and it really does feel like an extra long Pop-Rock song in some ways.

I couldn'nt stand big epic songs once upon a time, they just used to bore me, but as Rocinante says, you have to be patient and really listen to them.

Quite often you will just get a click and you start to get real enjoyment. I think suppers ready was probably the first really epic song I heard back in about 1986, took me ages to appreciate anything about it.

People who get pissed off about the timestamps need to stop thinking of it as a "20-minute song", and think of it instead of a bunch of seperate shorter pieces all put together into one track. Most of the time, they are labelled as being multi-sectioned in the liner notes anyways.

epic song's are the best song's trink38.gif

Long songs are cool, but just because they exist doesn't mean they're any good. I mean, Rush has short songs too, and they do just as well on those tracks as they ever did on the long ones.

Which would you rather listen to?

a ) Rush - Closer to the Heart (2:53)

b ) Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (17:02)

Most long 'epics' are bollocks. Rehashing ideas already heard in the song is just lazy, and most of the lyrics are pointless. The only long songs that ever work are classical tracks because they're emotive, and not on about nonsense.

11 minutes is the longest a track should be before it strays into waffling territory, and if a band can squeeze it all into 5/6/7 minutes then more power to them because that is what seperates great songwrites from the average ones; the ability to know when you're writing good music, and when you're writing more for the sake of it.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 2 2008, 07:02 AM)
A somewhat ridiculous thing to say, I mean if nobody listened to them bands would stop writing them. Let's be honest here there aren't many people who highlight Pigs On The Wing as their favourite track on Animals. Of course people listen to them. However some "epics" do seem a little forced, some of the longer stuff Spock's Beard have come out with for example goes nowhere and is quite boring, you know, 20 minute songs for the sole reason it's the Prog thing to do or whatever.

Personally I love nothing more than a well written epic piece, Hemispheres, 2112, Dogs, Close To The Edge, This Strange Engine, Supper's Ready, A Change Of Seasons... but they're not the sort of songs you're gonna be able to appreciate after a single listen, it just doesn't work like that, there's too much to take in. If you're patient and can set aside the time and effort to listen to one of these tunes all the way through chances are you'll find something to enjoy, I always suggest Close To The Edge as the perfect introduction to epics, a lot of the vocal melodies reappear throughout the song and it really does feel like an extra long Pop-Rock song in some ways.

Animals is a great Floyd album.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Apr 2 2008, 03:10 PM)
People who get pissed off about the timestamps need to stop thinking of it as a "20-minute song", and think of it instead of a bunch of seperate shorter pieces all put together into one track.

I've ALWAYS said that about Mike Oldfield's Amarok! biggrin.gif It is 60 mins long and I always said to people that it's like about 20-30 short songs stuck together. tongue.gif

A past friend of mine once said to me "I don't like those long songs."

And I said "Oh, I love all that!" biggrin.gif

I think we were talking about Tubular Bells, (the time when there was a free TB CD in the paper) and I told her how long both parts are. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Apr 2 2008, 11:04 PM)
People who get pissed off about the timestamps need to stop thinking of it as a "20-minute song", and think of it instead of a bunch of seperate shorter pieces all put together into one track.

I've ALWAYS said that about Mike Oldfield's Amarok! biggrin.gif It is 60 mins long and I always said to people that it's like about 20-30 short songs stuck together. tongue.gif

I think we were talking about Tubular Bells, (the time when there was a free TB CD in the paper) and I told her how long both parts are. tongue.gif

Mike Oldfield has to be the one exception to anything I said previously. But then he is, more or less, a classical artist.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 3 2008, 12:06 AM)

Mike Oldfield has to be the one exception to anything I said previously. But then he is, more or less, a classical artist.

Well, he is on his last album at least. wink.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Apr 2 2008, 11:11 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 3 2008, 12:06 AM)

Well, he is on his last album at least. wink.gif tongue.gif

Yeah, but on his others, well, the ones I've heard, he's basically a classical artist playing in a more 'rock' structure.

A lot of kids these dayd dont have the patience to listen to epics. A friend of mine said the only time he listens Stairway,Hotel California, or Free Bird (some of the greatest songs ever written) is when he fast forwards straight to the solo because the rest of the song is "boring". Sad but true.

QUOTE (theworkingman23 @ Apr 2 2008, 09:53 PM)
A lot of kids these dayd dont have the patience to listen to epics. A friend of mine said the only time he listens Stairway,Hotel California, or Free Bird (some of the greatest songs ever written) is when he fast forwards straight to the solo because the rest of the song is "boring". Sad but true.

It's not sad...it's pathetic.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 2 2008, 11:56 PM)
Most long 'epics' are bollocks. Rehashing ideas already heard in the song is just lazy, and most of the lyrics are pointless. The only long songs that ever work are classical tracks because they're emotive, and not on about nonsense.

11 minutes is the longest a track should be before it strays into waffling territory, and if a band can squeeze it all into 5/6/7 minutes then more power to them because that is what seperates great songwrites from the average ones; the ability to know when you're writing good music, and when you're writing more for the sake of it.

laugh.gif Usually I agree with you. But this time I couldn't disagree more if I tried.

a great song is a great song no matter how long it is

If I had to make a list of my favorite 25 songs of all-time, I would guess that 20 of them are 10+minutes

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Apr 3 2008, 09:13 AM)
If I had to make a list of my favorite 25 songs of all-time, I would guess that 20 of them are 10+minutes

That statment would probably hold true for me as well.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 2 2008, 08:59 PM)
QUOTE (theworkingman23 @ Apr 2 2008, 09:53 PM)

It's not sad...it's pathetic.

yes.gif

Archived