Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

All this talk about PT breaking up, true or untrue, I still maintain that SW needs a break from writing music before venturing into writing another PT release. I would really like it if he got back to listening to beaucoup Opeth. That influence on SW was extremely evident in the harder edge the overall sound adopted. I must say I haven't been too impressed with Grace for Drowning because of his soundscapes. For me it is a turn off. Maybe I need to smoke some pot or something. laugh.gif

Or worse, for me, would be if SW continues the path he has taken. I really would like another In Absentia, Deadwing, or FOABP. The Incident and Insurgentes remain mediocre with me. sad.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 2 2011, 08:19 AM)
All this talk about PT breaking up, true or untrue, I still maintain that SW needs a break from writing music before venturing into writing another PT release. I would really like it if he got back to listening to beaucoup Opeth. That influence on SW was extremely evident in the harder edge the overall sound adopted. I must say I haven't been too impressed with Grace for Drowning because of his soundscapes. For me it is a turn off. Maybe I need to smoke some pot or something. laugh.gif

Or worse, for me, would be if SW continues the path he has taken. I really would like another In Absentia, Deadwing, or FOABP. The Incident and Insurgentes remain mediocre with me. sad.gif

From his recent interviews, I think SW has moved away from metal as a genre. I was a bit worried about it at first but I absolutely LOOOOOVE GfD and hope it rubs off, in a big way, on the next PT effort.

If any of you are vinyl collectors, the next two Porcupine Tree vinyl reissues are going to be The Sky Moves Sideways and the Coma Divine live album which will be out in February or March next year. I'm basing this on the KScope flyer that came with Grace for Drowning. Currently, they're saying that it will be a 2LP but I won't believe that cause both these albums are too long that they might be 3 or 4LP editions. It'll be interesting to see if they add more songs on Coma Divine as there are 8 songs that have yet to be released including the full version of Voyage 34, Stars Die, and the holy grail of Steven Wilson's catalog, Cryogenics. Edited by PolarizeMe

QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 2 2011, 09:19 AM)

I basically agree with this. Even if PT veers away from the harder edge maybe he can incorporate it into one of his other projects.

Just picked up a release by DeeExpus Project. They have a song called PTtee. Many references to PT as well as riffs from PT songs. It was a great listen actually. I been digging their CD.

Link to iTunes

QUOTE (Soni @ Dec 13 2011, 09:41 PM)
I just gave the second disc of the Incident a spin... much better than what I remembered... Hope that will be their next direction.

I think the whole album is under-rated though it is far from perfect. Wilson's lyrics and themes over the last two albums appear to be alienating many.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Dec 13 2011, 07:29 PM)
I just gave the second disc of the Incident a spin... much better than what I remembered... Hope that will be their next direction.

I think the whole album is under-rated though it is far from perfect. Wilson's lyrics and themes over the last two albums appear to be alienating many.

I would think that the lyrics wouldn't really affect that many people. I'd guess that most of their fans are musicians who put the music first. I don't really like FOABP's lyrics but that doesn't change my opinion of the album at all. Maybe its just me. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ Dec 13 2011, 02:41 PM)

Agreed. I enjoyed the music on that disc more than The Incident. Black Dahlia, Flicker, and Remember Me Lover are brilliant tunes.

Wilson went a bit retro with The Incident. Time Flies sounds very much like Last Chance to Evacuate. Gilmour should have sued him for snaking Dogs. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Dec 13 2011, 07:43 PM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Dec 13 2011, 02:41 PM)

Agreed. I enjoyed the music on that disc more than The Incident. Black Dahlia, Flicker, and Remember Me Lover are brilliant tunes.

Wilson went a bit retro with The Incident. Time Flies sounds very much like Last Chance to Evacuate. Gilmour should have sued him for snaking Dogs. ph34r.gif

Ummm dogs is in 4/4 and Time flies is in 3/4 so nope tongue.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 5 2011, 08:45 PM)
Just picked up a release by DeeExpus Project. They have a song called PTtee. Many references to PT as well as riffs from PT songs. It was a great listen actually. I been digging their CD.

Link to iTunes

Correction. These guys are paying homage to PT.

I couldn't take in what I saw,
Couldn't believe my eyes.
Stage set, effects and mixing desk
Were set to blow my mind.
All thru support all I could do
Was talk about what would lie ahead,
So I went to the stall at the back
Of the hall and bought a PT tee instead.

We got saddled with guys, yeah me and Bri,
Who hadn't seen PT before.
"They're the new Pink Floyd apparently?",
Yeah that and then some more!
They would have talked all night,
F'I hadn't shown them the light
On the Badcat at the back...
...was obscured of course, cos the band had come on,
"now shut your f***ing yap".

Going on and on and on
FOABP's come on.

"Sunlight", no where to be seen,
but the big screen shined supreme.
And as Halo rang out, god was in my head,
I had a "Halo Right round me".
Anaesthetize and Blackest Eyes,
Drown with me; the surprise
"And we might not hear our favorite songs",
yeah there'd be no Trains tonight.

Didn't miss it in any shape or form
Made up for, by every other song.
My Ashes got me so emotional.
Yet slammed back to Earth With Shallow

"I'm getting feelings" I know all to well
I'm inspired and I hope you can tell

Then it was yesterday, same ol' same ol',
though something had changed.
I could have been you, but I made mistakes
And no one told me.

If I could have my time again in reality
I wouldn't change a thing
But I thank you, cause from now on in,
Someone's shown me

Someone's shown me x2

(If I could have my time again
I wouldn't change a thing
But I thank you) x3

QUOTE (Tony R @ Dec 13 2011, 08:29 PM)

I don't think The Incident is under-rated at all. I still struggle to get into it. The previous 6 studio releases a prefer. Like Rush, the lyrics don't bother me too much, although FOABP is sort of cheesy.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 14 2011, 12:36 AM)

I would think that the lyrics wouldn't really affect that many people. I'd guess that most of their fans are musicians who put the music first. I don't really like FOABP's lyrics but that doesn't change my opinion of the album at all. Maybe its just me. confused13.gif

I really like the lyrics on FoaBP mainly because I love the book on which they are based.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Dec 14 2011, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 14 2011, 12:36 AM)

I really like the lyrics on FoaBP mainly because I love the book on which they are based.

I didn't know this. What book?

I want another PT album, not another SW album. Don't get me wrong, I love Steve and Grace For Drowning is fantastic, but it's like two albums in one package. And it's enough to keep me entertained with his solo material for a good chunk of time. I like The Incident, but I really want to hear what PT will bring out next.