Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 9 2010, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 9 2010, 03:27 PM)
Okay, because I've told you guys that I didn't dig this album, but that maybe it was one that takes several listens to "get"... I'm about to give The Incident another spin, for the first time since October 17, according to iTunes. I'll respond with my thoughts when it's over. smile.gif

Sorry guys. I didn't love it. sad.gif

I liked it more than I did last time, but I felt that it dragged on too long. The quieter parts were great, but the metal, to me, sounded "dumb", if that makes sense - that downtuned stuff that seems to be everywhere. I'm going to try and order In Absentia; hopefully it'll be easier to digest. And then after a while, I'll listen to The Incident and see if I like it any more than I did this time.

I think you will like In Absentia. My fave is Deadwing. Keep trying.

QUOTE (Natch @ May 11 2010, 08:52 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ May 9 2010, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 9 2010, 05:45 PM)
The Incident is about the LAST place I'd start with PT.

I'd say The Sky Moves Sideways would be the last place I'd start. That one I still haven't been able to listen to more than a few times. The Incident is a masterpiece, in my opinion. It's all relative, of course. Personal taste and all that.

I happen to agree Sue. I love The Incident. There are a couple of sections that are a bit tedious, but overall I love it. I'd stack it up against almost any other PT album.

Oh it's a fine enough album, no doubt. But not the first place to introduce the average person.

QUOTE (Natch @ May 11 2010, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ May 11 2010, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE (Natch @ May 11 2010, 08:52 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ May 9 2010, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 9 2010, 05:45 PM)
The Incident is about the LAST place I'd start with PT.

I'd say The Sky Moves Sideways would be the last place I'd start. That one I still haven't been able to listen to more than a few times. The Incident is a masterpiece, in my opinion. It's all relative, of course. Personal taste and all that.

I happen to agree Sue. I love The Incident. There are a couple of sections that are a bit tedious, but overall I love it. I'd stack it up against almost any other PT album.

Yeah. I mean, when it came out there were a lot of people saying it wasn't comparable to the previous two or three. But, that's why I love it so much. Of course, I'm a huge fan of Deadwing, In Absentia, and FOABP. But, TI took a turn in a different direction from those. It's what this band does best. Actually, they veer off in ten different directions within each album. Never boring.

There were a few songs that I liked right away, such as Time Flies, Black Dahlia and Drawing the Line. But, after a few listens I was hooked. I regularly put the album on and let it play straight through.

There are just so many catchy parts of songs and guitar solos that I often find myself humming or whistling particular parts of songs all day while I'm at work. I can't listen to music while at work without bothering anyone, so I resort to listening to the radio in my head.

All day today, I've had the guitar solo from Your Unpleasant Family playing in my head...

By the way, I got part of my shipment of PT goodies yesterday. The Arriving Somewhere DVD and Lightbulb Sun. I'll be watching / listening tonight. (I wasn't able to give them a whirl last night because House and 24 were on TV, and my wife would kill me if I put the DVD on laugh.gif )

Cool!!!!! You'll love both. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

(Hatesong on Arriving Somewhere... will floor you. smile.gif )

Seeing them in Toronto on the weekend won't be something that I'll soon forget. If ever.

It was easily one of the best concerts I've ever been to yes.gif

More story/review to come when I have more time...

So, I got all my goodies the last couple of days. Watched the Arriving Somewhere DVD, listened to all the CDs....

...and I was blown away!

These guys are a talented, entertaining, unique band to listen to.

Hatesong on Arriving Somewhere is mind-blowing. You can really get lost in the music. I didn't want the song to end. These guys can really jam.

I loved SW's response to a call from someone in the crowd for Freebird. laugh.gif

I listened to the FOBP surround mix last night, and wow...what a difference surround makes.

I think Steve Wilson is certainly one of the most talented musicians I have come across in a long time. He seems to be able to do it all. But, PT is more than just SW. The rest of the band is extremely talented, and makes PT an exceptional band IMO.

Again, it was this thread that made me pick up that first CD. Thanks all!

QUOTE (Natch @ May 13 2010, 11:03 AM)
So, I got all my goodies the last couple of days. Watched the Arriving Somewhere DVD, listened to all the CDs....

...and I was blown away!

Hatesong on Arriving Somewhere is mind-blowing. You can really get lost in the music. I didn't want the song to end. These guys can really jam.

I loved SW's response to a call from someone in the crowd for Freebird. laugh.gif

I listened to the FOBP surround mix last night, and wow...what a difference surround makes.

I think Steve Wilson is certainly one of the most talented musicians I have come across in a long time. He seems to be able to do it all. But, PT is more than just SW. The rest of the band is extremely talented, and makes PT an exceptional band IMO.

Yay!!!! 653.gif

I knew you'd love that DVD. Harrison kills on Hatesong.

QUOTE (The Owl @ May 13 2010, 11:59 AM)
Both the grey and red versions of the Special Edition of "Anesthetize" are sold out!

Glad I got my copy, I'd just wish they'd ship them already.

I saw that. sad.gif

I'm cool with getting the standard version. I was fortunate to get the SE of The Incident. So, ya' know. Can't have it all.

Still..... sad.gif

QUOTE (Natch @ May 13 2010, 11:03 AM)

...and I was blown away!

Awesome..! Another convert. smile.gif

SW wrote a letter to the new york times.

May 14, 2010

A Frontman Says, ‘Music Is Not Software; Music Is Art’

To the Editor:

“In Mobile Age, Sound Quality Steps Back” (Business Day, May 10), about the degradation of sound quality in the MP3 era, touches on a central concern for musicians like me, who feel that a song’s chief virtue should not be its ease of portability. There is an art to listening to music, and the move to jukebox-style delivery of songs in MP3 form has largely compromised that art for a generation of fans.

I remember listening to music on vinyl, poring over the sleeve, looking at the lyric sheet, even following the needle across the record.

There was something in that magical, romantic, tactile relationship with the album that has been lost by the reduction of music to content.

Music is not software; music is art. But I’ve been encouraged by the growing revolt against that iPod culture and playlist mentality.

Kids at shows come up to me to have me sign their vinyl.

They want to feel as if they’re buying into something they can cherish and feel a part of. And you simply can’t do that downloading a few files.

Steven Wilson

London, May 11, 2010

The writer is a producer and musician with the band Porcupine Tree.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/15/opinion/...agewanted=print

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/Porc...imes-21397.aspx

Just ordered a CD from Burning Shed: Steve Thorne - Into The Ether.

Gavin is a drummer on many tracks.

http://www.burningshed.com/store/progressi...roduct/99/1805/

Into The Ether is Steve Thorne's third album and his first on the Festival Music label.

Having achieved critical acclaim with his first two CD's Emotional Creatures 1 & 2', Into The Ether takes his songwriting to a new level of accomplishment.

As with 'Emotional Creatures', Steve has assembled an amazing list of guest musicians, including Pete Trewavas (Marillion), Nick D'virgilio (Spocks Beard/Genesis), Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree), Tony Levin (King Crimson) and John Giblin (Peter Gabriel/Brand X).

Heartfelt lyrics, soaring melodies and lush arrangements combine to make Steve's most powerful statement to date.

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 18 2010, 03:07 PM)
Just ordered a CD from Burning Shed: Steve Thorne - Into The Ether.
Gavin is a drummer on many tracks.
http://www.burningshed.com/store/progressi...roduct/99/1805/
Into The Ether is Steve Thorne's third album and his first on the Festival Music label.

Having achieved critical acclaim with his first two CD's Emotional Creatures 1 & 2', Into The Ether takes his songwriting to a new level of accomplishment.

As with 'Emotional Creatures', Steve has assembled an amazing list of guest musicians, including Pete Trewavas (Marillion), Nick D'virgilio (Spocks Beard/Genesis), Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree), Tony Levin (King Crimson) and John Giblin (Peter Gabriel/Brand X).

Heartfelt lyrics, soaring melodies and lush arrangements combine to make Steve's most powerful statement to date.

Not only, Gavin, but Trewavas and D'virgilio. Sounds good! What type of sound is his music?

QUOTE (Natch @ May 13 2010, 12:03 PM)

...and I was blown away!

I watched that DVD with my friends who I went to the Toronto concert with before the show. It was AWESOME!!! I gotta get a copy of it for myself. biggrin.gif

FINALLY! After announcing it 2 years ago...... the Recordings Reissue is coming out on sept. 6!

on the news feed of PT.com

Edited by The Owl

Probably a stupid question, but how come some of you already have this even though it says that it won't be released until the 15th of next month:

Anesthetize DVD

confused13.gif

QUOTE (xredsectorx @ May 29 2010, 04:06 PM)
Probably a stupid question, but how come some of you already have this even though it says that it won't be released until the 15th of next month:

Anesthetize DVD

confused13.gif

If you ordered the Special Editions off of Burning Shed..... those should going out by now.......... I have not got mine yet however.