Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Steevo @ Nov 6 2009, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 7 2009, 02:42 PM)
At any rate, I do get looks. I have a monster stereo system in the van, and a Bazooka subwoofer and a nifty little amplifier conveniently mounted in the back right over the emergency release for the spare tire. You gotta make sacrifices, right?

yes.gif 1022.gif

BTW, still awaiting that damn PT DVD...something tells me I'm not meant to have this until next year!! angry.gif

Oh, that sucks. sad.gif

I guess I'll keep it to myself that I'm watching it right now, then. unsure.gif

tongue.gif

You poor dear. It'll happen. Have faith. It's worth it.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Nov 6 2009, 09:01 PM)
At any rate, I do get looks. I have a monster stereo system in the van, and a Bazooka subwoofer and a nifty little amplifier conveniently mounted in the back right over the emergency release for the spare tire. You gotta make sacrifices, right?

yes.gif 1022.gif

BTW, still awaiting that damn PT DVD...something tells me I'm not meant to have this until next year!! angry.gif

"Arriving somewhere"??

QUOTE (tintedweed @ Nov 6 2009, 09:19 PM)

yes.gif 1022.gif

"Arriving somewhere"??

Yeah. Poor Steevo lives in the outer sphere of civilization, aka New Zeland. I worry about him. sad.gif

(you know i'm kidding, steve. you live in the inner sphere of the outer sphere of civilization. yes.gif )

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 7 2009, 04:26 PM)
QUOTE (tintedweed @ Nov 6 2009, 09:19 PM)

yes.gif 1022.gif

"Arriving somewhere"??

Yeah. Poor Steevo lives in the outer sphere of civilization, aka New Zeland. I worry about him. sad.gif

(you know i'm kidding, steve. you live in the inner sphere of the outer sphere of civilization. yes.gif )

laugh.gif Yeah, its all how you look at it I guess. Meanwhile, he still waits... wacko.gif My hifi is being repaired at the mo, so it's not so bad, wont be long though before integration resumes cool.gif

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Nov 7 2009, 10:10 AM)
anyone else obsessed with "Way Out Of Here"?
this song is absolutely stunning.

i love it.

I love that tune.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Nov 7 2009, 10:13 AM)

i love it.

I love that tune.

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

Amazing

QUOTE (Pags @ Nov 7 2009, 09:23 AM)

i love it.

I love that tune.

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

Amazing

The live clip on PT's site is great. Gavin's drumming is more intense than on the studio version.

http://www.porcupinetree.com/

The videos are right there on the main page.

Also, check out this old Renaissance clip, featuring a 19-year old Gavin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MQy-F0w-BI

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 9 2009, 05:31 AM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Nov 7 2009, 09:23 AM)

i love it.

I love that tune.

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

Amazing

The live clip on PT's site is great. Gavin's drumming is more intense than on the studio version.

http://www.porcupinetree.com/

The videos are right there on the main page.

Also, check out this old Renaissance clip, featuring a 19-year old Gavin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MQy-F0w-BI

That is a cool clip of the young Harrison. I wasn't surprised to see the double bass drums either. He is such a master at these. And when i say that, I don't mean speed necessarily. His placement of DBs these days is incredible.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Nov 7 2009, 09:10 AM)

i love it.

yes.gif

I think it's the best song on FoaBP next to the title track and Anesthetize.

Making it the 3rd best. smile.gif

I have listened to The Incident every single day since it came out. And on the day it came out (Sep. 15th in my town) I listened to it before the stores opened (before I went to bed the day before) because I was able to buy it a little before midnight. I was like, "Are you gonna have this tomorrow?" and the dude was like, "Oh, I have it now. Want it?"

When I saw them live about two weeks after, it was one of the greatest concert experiences of my life. I was there with a big group of friends, and my brother was among them. He said it was the best concert experience of his life; we'd seen Alice in Chains a week before and they're his favourite band. (He's seen them, like, a zillion times, but sadly never with Layne Staley.)

My original plan was to just listen to The Incident every day in preparation for that concert. But Steven said they'd be back in the spring, so I figured I'd keep it going at least until then. I can sing along to almost all of both discs now! biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

unsure.gif Sidenote: It does kinda bug me, though, that one disc's worth of music is divided into two. Like, I get that they want the title suite to have its own disc and breathing time before the other songs, but c'mon. Talk about a waste of resources. Very un-green if you ask me. Anyways, that's a minor quibble, and definitely nothing to spoil the enjoyment of the album over. Again, I've listened to it every single day since it came out and I'm nowhere near tired of it. It is my FAVOURITE PORCUPINE TREE ALBUM, but not by far. They're all so brilliant.

LOVE THE TREE

Steven is my hero.

Also, I'm obsessed with their Voodoo Fest performances which I recently (like, three hours ago) discovered on YouTube and I hate myself for not beating my dad into letting me go to the concert here. I have everything from In Absentia onwards except Nil and The Incident which are both on my xmas list smile.gif and I'm working on getting some older stuff... favourite song EVER EVER EVER (surpassing even Rush here) is Stars Die, but only the acoustic version.

I should probably admit that I actually prefer PT to Rush... kinda have done since at least the summer...

Oh, and the Opeth thing... LOVE Opeth. I was warned about the grunts and I didn't think I would like them, but I actually fell in love straight away. Will concur with Mikael's regular vocals being really beautiful though.

QUOTE (Rhosyn Helena @ Nov 12 2009, 09:58 AM)
LOVE THE TREE
Steven is my hero.

Also, I'm obsessed with their Voodoo Fest performances which I recently (like, three hours ago) discovered on YouTube and I hate myself for not beating my dad into letting me go to the concert here. I have everything from In Absentia onwards except Nil and The Incident which are both on my xmas list smile.gif and I'm working on getting some older stuff... favourite song EVER EVER EVER (surpassing even Rush here) is Stars Die, but only the acoustic version.

I should probably admit that I actually prefer PT to Rush... kinda have done since at least the summer...

Oh, and the Opeth thing... LOVE Opeth. I was warned about the grunts and I didn't think I would like them, but I actually fell in love straight away. Will concur with Mikael's regular vocals being really beautiful though.

Thanks for the heads up on Voodoo Fest vids. I hadn't seen them.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Nov 12 2009, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (Rhosyn Helena @ Nov 12 2009, 09:58 AM)
LOVE THE TREE
Steven is my hero.

Thanks for the heads up on Voodoo Fest vids. I hadn't seen them.

Yeah according to a bunch of people on youtube, the quality sucks, but I really didn't care about that as I just get a kick outta seeing them doing it live.

I really love the Voodoo Fest vids - I ripped them with RealPlayer.

Trying to get them onto my phone, but because my phone is dealing with Windows Mobile, and because Microsoft is being a whore, I have to convert them to WMV files which is going to take FOREVERRR.

Ahh well.

Anyway, like I said, hyperactively loving PT right now.

Going a bit off topic here..

Don't get me wrong, I am loving the new PT.... but I am actually kind of dissapointed that Steven Wilson did not do anything with "Insurgentes" this year, other than the release..

In hindsight, I think it might have been a good thing if the PT album was pushed back 2 or so months, and allow time for Wilson to support his solo album for just a bit.... It was amazing, and seeing or hearing some of those tunes live, and possibly getting a live CD or DVD out of it would have been really cool.

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (The Owl @ Nov 14 2009, 07:12 PM)

Don't get me wrong, I am loving the new PT.... but I am actually kind of dissapointed that Steven Wilson did not do anything with "Insurgentes" this year, other than the release..

In hindsight, I think it might have been a good thing if the PT album was pushed back 2 or so months, and allow time for Wilson to support his solo album for just a bit.... It was amazing, and seeing or hearing some of those tunes live, and possibly getting a live CD or DVD out of it would have been really cool.

I agree. Insurgentes is great. It would have been cool for him to have toured solo to support it. What would be nice is if PT adds some of Wilson's solo stuff to the set list for a second leg of the tour. Harmony Korine and/or No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun live. That would be amazing.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 14 2009, 10:12 PM)

I agree. Insurgentes is great. It would have been cool for him to have toured solo to support it. What would be nice is if PT adds some of Wilson's solo stuff to the set list for a second leg of the tour. Harmony Korine and/or No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun live. That would be amazing.

I don't see that happening though. It would be like hearing Rush playing something off Victor or MFH.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 14 2009, 09:12 PM)

I would think that may happen in future after he has couple albums under him.

But i doubt it would have been any success just yet, after all people are still figuring and finding PT. I doubt the attendence to SW concert would have been much.....

Thanks to Sully Sue I'm a new member of the club. I previously owned Stupid Dream. Now I have 3 more. I am currently absorbing Fear Of A Blank Planet over the past week. Although I find the lyrics quite dark, I find the album quite good overall. More to come... Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 18 2009, 05:00 PM)
Thanks to Sully Sue I'm a new member of the club. I previously owned Stupid Dream. Now I have 3 more. I am currently absorbing Fear Of A Blank Planet over the past week. Although I find the lyrics quite dark, I find the album quite good overall. More to come...

1022.gif way to go Sully Sue!

you are in for one hell of a ride tick. my fave is deadwing.

QUOTE (tangy @ Nov 18 2009, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Nov 18 2009, 05:00 PM)
Thanks to Sully Sue I'm a new member of the club. I previously owned Stupid Dream. Now I have 3 more. I am currently absorbing Fear Of A Blank Planet over the past week. Although I find the lyrics quite dark, I find the album quite good overall. More to come...

1022.gif way to go Sully Sue!

you are in for one hell of a ride tick. my fave is deadwing.

smile.gif