Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

I need HELP! I used to have a DVD of Porcupine Tree on Rockpalast, but I can't find it anywhere. It's one of my favorites, and I miss it. sad.gif Does anyone have a copy who would be willing to burn it for me if I sent them a blank DVD?

QUOTE (vaportrail @ Feb 26 2009, 11:20 PM)
QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Feb 26 2009, 09:26 PM)
Tell me if I'm off base here, but doesn't the title track sound like something that was popular on radio, maybe a few years back or so?  Sounds like some whack-asz Radiohead or Coldplay melody.  And, I'm sad to draw the comparsion, because SW is too good to ever compare him to either of those two whack-asz outfits.

I wouldn't quite say that, as Steven is a huge Radiohead fan. Not so on the coldplay end though wink.gif

Have you heard any of his work outside of PT and Blackfield? Because the album has a lot of elements from his other projects (and very little from Blackfield since he writes very little of the BF music).

PT recently I'd say has become much more influenced by Gavin over the last few albums, and while I love his playing, the music doesn't have quite the same feel as the earlier albums, they feel much colder since he came on board (except for Lightbulb Sun, that album is 90% pure crap IMHO). That said I still love the last three albums.

It should be interested if what Steven says holds and the new album is much more classical sounding, and they ditch the metal sound, which would be welcoming as they've kind of done it to death now with three albums.

What else is there, aside from PT and BF? I know that he did a few experimental things under his own name, having a limited release. And, then there was the five cover songs, along with five originals from last year. That was a sweet treat. But, that FOABP and the follow-up EP were both superlative. Both actually took me a bit more time to acquaint myself with because of its more musically-driven, more progressive nature...I'd say, noticeably more so than any of the earlier efforts.

PT, during the middle era, was a nice balance between the intelligent progressive instrumental bits on one hand, and the more accessible Pop-melody thing on the other. But, with FOABP, they seemed to cross the line into more of a straightforward Prog direction. Either way, even giving us this kinda more mellow, introspective direction on Insurgentes is still all good. But, I do rather prefer a more rocking feel over the other stuff.

I know that SW has some love for Radiohead, but he shouldn't. lol. After listening to PT for long enough, RH's music is easily exposed for the crap it is. It's just so repititious in comparison. There's like one single, mediocre musical idea per song, and they loop that sucka for four minutes. I have Kid A and Hail to the Thief, and probably another or two. It's just weak, and totally endemic of how shallow American culture is. If there was any widespread depth to our culture, things like PT would be more popular than Radiohead.

And, ya didn't answer whether that title track sounds a lot like a melody found in someone else's music. It does, but I can't pinpoint it. I hardly ever listen to the radio, so if it was inadvertently stolen, it had to be from a really popular song....But, if it wasn't mistakenly lifted from another's work, then, maybe it just has a melody which is so catchy that I just thought that I've heard it before...but actually haven't. I remember doing this with Lenny Kravitz' It Ain't Over Until It's Over. I made a fool outta myself in college by betting that this song was a cover of an old Motown song. lol. It wasn't.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 5 2009, 05:51 PM)
QUOTE (vaportrail @ Feb 26 2009, 11:20 PM)
QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Feb 26 2009, 09:26 PM)
Tell me if I'm off base here, but doesn't the title track sound like something that was popular on radio, maybe a few years back or so?  Sounds like some whack-asz Radiohead or Coldplay melody.  And, I'm sad to draw the comparsion, because SW is too good to ever compare him to either of those two whack-asz outfits.

I wouldn't quite say that, as Steven is a huge Radiohead fan. Not so on the coldplay end though wink.gif

Have you heard any of his work outside of PT and Blackfield? Because the album has a lot of elements from his other projects (and very little from Blackfield since he writes very little of the BF music).

PT recently I'd say has become much more influenced by Gavin over the last few albums, and while I love his playing, the music doesn't have quite the same feel as the earlier albums, they feel much colder since he came on board (except for Lightbulb Sun, that album is 90% pure crap IMHO). That said I still love the last three albums.

It should be interested if what Steven says holds and the new album is much more classical sounding, and they ditch the metal sound, which would be welcoming as they've kind of done it to death now with three albums.

What else is there, aside from PT and BF?

Nope, can't say I've heard that melody anywhere before.

Other than PT and BF? Well he has his ambient/noise project Bass Communion, there's the experimental singer/songwriter project No-Man, the krautrock-esque I.E.M., and then his electronic music under his own name.

You can hear them all in the album IMHO. I'd say of his 5 main projects PT and BF are my two least favorites, still love them though.

And I love Radiohead so I can't agree with ya there wink.gif

The chord progression on Insurgentes is very similar to Sarah Mclachlan's "Possession" and Missy Higgins' "Where I stood". I don't hear a familiar melody.

I think it's beautiful.

What really impresses me about the recording is how f***ing good the music sounds. The production is really outstanding.

Steven Wilson is an incredible talent.

Still trying to get into Insurgentes. It is definitely not PT.

Don't forget to check out the interview with SW in the March Edition of Electronic Musician.

http://emusician.com/interviews/steven-wilson

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/stylazyn/SWEMCover.jpg

QUOTE (vaportrail @ Mar 5 2009, 08:18 PM)
You can hear them all in the album IMHO. I'd say of his 5 main projects PT and BF are my two least favorites, still love them though.

His two main bands you care for the least? This doesn't really add up. Does not compute. He'd be the first bloke to tell ya the bulk of his creative output goes into Porcupine Tree. He'd tell ya that if a really solid creative idea comes to him, that he's gunna set that sucka aside for use in PT. All of the superfluous, unused bits get distributed amongst the other projects. You didn't quite think that theorem through, did ya?

And, please don't tell me that you think that Radiohead's catalog is better than PT's. They're just so blase', so insouciant in their approach to music. I want to drown the main Radiohead guy with the main clown from Coldplay. On a positive note, I'm very much getting into the new Steve Wilson recording. It's definitely a go-to-sleep album though. I often put it on just before doze-time, and sometimes wake up and the sucka is still on.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 18 2009, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (vaportrail @ Mar 5 2009, 08:18 PM)
You can hear them all in the album IMHO.  I'd say of his 5 main projects PT and BF are my two least favorites, still love them though.

His two main bands you care for the least? This doesn't really add up. Does not compute. He'd be the first bloke to tell ya the bulk of his creative output goes into Porcupine Tree. He'd tell ya that if a really solid creative idea comes to him, that he's gunna set that sucka aside for use in PT. All of the superfluous, unused bits get distributed amongst the other projects. You didn't quite think that theorem through, did ya?

And, please don't tell me that you think that Radiohead's catalog is better than PT's. They're just so blase', so insouciant in their approach to music. I want to drown the main Radiohead guy with the main clown from Coldplay. On a positive note, I'm very much getting into the new Steve Wilson recording. It's definitely a go-to-sleep album though. I often put it on just before doze-time, and sometimes wake up and the sucka is still on.

Nah, I'd say his most creative output goes to everything pretty evenly. As he's said, there are things he writes that's more fit for Blackfield, more for PT, more for BC and such.

And yes, his two biggest projects are my two least favorite, but I still love them! Bass Communion and No-Man are just more interesting to me, more variation and experimentation.

And I don't hold Radiohead's catalog higher than PT's, I like PT much more but I still like Radiohead.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Mar 18 2009, 08:35 PM)
does anyone know when the hell we are going to see a Tour Of A Blank Planet DVD??!?!?

I'm sure after all this other bullshit settles down. It'll happen. wink.gif

Just chill.

QUOTE (vaportrail @ Mar 18 2009, 09:41 PM)
Nah, I'd say his most creative output goes to everything pretty evenly. As he's said, there are things he writes that's more fit for Blackfield, more for PT, more for BC and such.

And yes, his two biggest projects are my two least favorite, but I still love them! Bass Communion and No-Man are just more interesting to me, more variation and experimentation.

And I don't hold Radiohead's catalog higher than PT's, I like PT much more but I still like Radiohead.

Ok, that makes more sense. What's the bloke's involvement with this group they call Feersum Ennjin? I have an EP from them. I was told that SW had some hand in it.....Oh, snap, son. Answer that question if ya can, but more importantly, do you have for yourself a copy of Opeth's Damnation? WOW! An awesome feat indeed. The release is a perfect amalgam of Akerfeldt's and Wilson's styles. Songs are absolutely awesome. There's something about the structures which remind of PT around the Signify era.

does anyone know when the hell we are going to see a Tour Of A Blank Planet DVD??!?!?

Not until 2010, the band's too busy recording the new album (which is maybe going to be a double album. One 55-minute track and then a second disc of shorter material).

Edited by vaportrail

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 18 2009, 09:42 PM)
QUOTE (vaportrail @ Mar 18 2009, 09:41 PM)
Nah, I'd say his most creative output goes to everything pretty evenly.  As he's said, there are things he writes that's more fit for Blackfield, more for PT, more for BC and such. 

And yes, his two biggest projects are my two least favorite, but I still love them!  Bass Communion and No-Man are just more interesting to me, more variation and experimentation.

Ok, that makes more sense. What's the bloke's involvement with this group they call Feersum Ennjin? I have an EP from them. I was told that SW had some hand in it.....Oh, snap, son. Answer that question if ya can, but more importantly, do you have for yourself a copy of Opeth's Damnation? WOW! An awesome feat indeed. The release is a perfect amalgam of Akerfeldt's and Wilson's styles. Songs are absolutely awesome. There's something about the structures which remind of PT around the Signify era.

Damnation is fantastic! But I like Blackwater Park quite a bit better, probably the best of the three albums SW produced for them.

And I haven't heard of him being involved with that group...

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 19 2009, 01:49 AM)

I wouldn't say that completely. It could apply to Blackfield or No-Man, because he's got other people he's collaborating with. But, if SW comes up with a completely amazing krautrock idea, the best thing he's ever written, it'll probably go to I.E.M., because that's what it's for. If he comes up with the most inspiring drone music ever made by man, it won't be on a PT record, it's what he's got Bass Communion for. But if it's an amazing rock idea that doesn't fit into any of his other records, it'll be on a PT album. That's how I'd imagine things happen anyway.

QUOTE (vaportrail @ Mar 19 2009, 10:59 AM)

Not until 2010, the band's too busy recording the new album (which is maybe going to be a double album. One 55-minute track and then a second disc of shorter material).

ohmy.gif Where did you hear that!

Source?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 20 2009, 09:27 AM)
QUOTE (vaportrail @ Mar 19 2009, 10:59 AM)

ohmy.gif Where did you hear that!

Source?

He mentioned it in a couple interviews recently and also has mentioned it to fans at Insurgentes signings.

I prefer it actually, it let's me save up for the Chicago PT show (assuming they play there). Word is that the US tour is going to be in October and be very small, six dates or so.

Only six US dates? I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Can someone tell me who that guy is who is talking on "Last Chance to Evacuate Earth?" Is it that dude who recruited all of those people into his cult and then they all committed suicide when the Hale-Bopp comet came? I'm just curious.

QUOTE (vaportrail @ Mar 19 2009, 12:59 PM)

Holy Sh*t ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

I hope this is true biggrin.gif

I'm so very itching for that Akerfeldt/Wilson/Portnoy collaboration which was alluded to a while back by both Steve and Mike. That's gonna be sizzling hot when it finally arrives. Opportunity has probably arisen a few times already, and they've all watched it just strut on by. Hope this one doesn't turn out to be akin to that Dr. Dre and Ice Cube project from the mid-90's that both parties spoke about bunches, but nothing ever came of it.

Anyone remember that one? Dre and Cube spoke about some 'Helter Skelter' project that they were in the process of 'working on'...But, I think they were really in the process of 'talking about'. They came on MTV a few times to tell us all about it, even spoke in depth about the concept behind it, but the album just never materialized. I was really looking forward to it too, because, at the time, Dre was hugely innovative, dropping one after another of just awesome tracks. The first Dre/Cube joint was slammin, and we all were hoping for more of the same.

I think that if a Akerfeldt/Wilson/Portnoy group does do something together, they might as well bring in a fourth (big-name) party. Possibly they don't want too many cooks spoiling the broth though. And, I really just want to hear what Mike and Steve are able to come up with in the studio. A full length release that merges the best of what both guys do. A nice balance between the mellow and the heavy. We know that both parties have respect and admiration for what the other guy does, and a working partnership has already been tested....So, what the heck is the hold-up? Every day that the idea sits on the back burner, the more chance it has in becoming another 'Helter Skelter'.