good acoustic songs to learn

xredsectorx

i'm pretty sure that i will be picking up an acoustic guitar tomorrow, it will be my first acoustic by the way, and i'm wondering what are some good tunes to learn on acoustic? i know a few like Pinball Wizard, Stairway To Heaven, Crazy On You, and of course alot of stuff from S&A, but what are some other ones?? i'm sure i know more, i just can't think of any. as always, any ideas are greatly appreciated.

QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Mar 30 2008, 06:02 PM)
i'm pretty sure that i will be picking up an acoustic guitar tomorrow, it will be my first acoustic by the way, and i'm wondering what are some good tunes to learn on acoustic? i know a few like Pinball Wizard, Stairway To Heaven, Crazy On You, and of course alot of stuff from S&A, but what are some other ones?? i'm sure i know more, i just can't think of any. as always, any ideas are greatly appreciated.

dont learn hope, itll break your strings.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

bravado would sound cool acoustic, you should arrange that.

or just in the end. Just acoustic.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Wish You Were Here is a great one and although its a little less well known Free Four also by Pink Floyd.

Man Of A Thousand Faces by Marillion is a personal favourite of mine.

If you're feeling confident give Blood On The Rooftops by Genesis a shot, I tried, I failed.

Some of the songs mentioned above are good. If I get an acoustic out at the campfire or with friends somewhere, I don't try to put on a concert. I like to play some bluesy tunes - Muddy Water type stuff. No singing or anything like that. I like to enhance the social situation. If I'm asked to play something, I whip out some obscure tune and go to town. LOL

QUOTE (Analogkid1123 @ Mar 31 2008, 03:09 PM)

bravado would sound cool acoustic, you should arrange that.

or just in the end. Just acoustic.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Yeah, in the end sounds killer acoustic

QUOTE (Analogkid1123 @ Mar 30 2008, 09:56 PM)

dont learn hope, itll break your strings.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I've only tuned my acoustic to DADAAD 3 times, and one of those times I broke a string.

Plush by STP is great on acoustic. I love that version of the song.

I have a version of it on my soundclick page in my "Rushfan plays some rush" link. The song has some challenging chords for sure but once you get it, it's a fun song to play.

Some unconventional suggestions:

Major Tom

What's Going On (4 non-blondes)

Those two actually segue into each other pretty well. End Major Tom at the chord progresion (C F G A) x 2, and use the final A chord to begin WGO (chords are A Bm D A). Stress the word "peculiar" when singing each of the songs, because the word occurs in both of them.

Hotel California

RHCP:

Soul to Squeeze (incorporate bass line into it at parts)

Breaking the Girl

I Could Have Lied

Def Leppard:

Foolin'

Bringing on the Hearbreak

Sublime:

Redemption Song

What I Got

Alice in Chains:

No Excuses

Violent Femmes:

Blister in the Sun

Green Day:

Basketcase

Time of Your Life

Cars:

Just What I Needed

Miss American Pie

Fast Car (Tracy Chapman)

Hey There Delilah (Plain White T's)

What It's Like (Everlast)

I take it you did want non-Rush suggestions, cuz I can think of quite a few Alex treats that work on acoustic smile.gif

Diamond Head - Out of Phase

David Bowie - Starman

Rush - Making Memories

Rush - Lessons

Rush- Different Strings

Rush - Presto

AC/DC - Rock N' Roll Damnation

Led Zeppelin - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

thank you all very much for your suggestions. i have picked a few tunes to work on: Circumstances, Crazy On You, The Pass and Resist. i liked the idea of taking my favourite tunes and making them into acoustic numbers, even tho some of the tunes i'm working on are already acoustic. i bought the guitar last tuesday and i have been playing it almost non stop since then, i love it.

Pinball Wizard is a fun song to play on acoustic. Drowned. Heart to hang onto.

Panama sounds awesome acoustic. 1022.gif

Bringin on the heartbreak.

Wish you were here

Better man

Black

Anything from Nirvana or Clapton unplugged

Dust in the wind

Hotel California

Take it easy

Tears

Hope

Resist acoustic

Everlong acoustic

Ramble On

Going to California

Bron Y aur

Bry y aur stomp

Yesterday

Im gonna stop myself here before i get carried away. laugh.gif

Definitely some Porcupine Tree (no one said this yet?!?!)

Try Pure Narcotic and Trains. You need a capo for that latter.

QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Apr 7 2008, 03:25 PM)
thank you all very much for your suggestions. i have picked a few tunes to work on: Circumstances, Crazy On You, The Pass and Resist. i liked the idea of taking my favourite tunes and making them into acoustic numbers, even tho some of the tunes i'm working on are already acoustic. i bought the guitar last tuesday and i have been playing it almost non stop since then, i love it.

Crazy On You is a great choice. Try the Your Move part of "I've Seen All Good People" by Yes.