IF you weren't already a RUSH fan...

Necromancer

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 9 2008, 01:05 PM)
They've gotten to wrapped up in technology and perfectionism and that costs them in BALLS. I'm dying to hear an album by 2.gif with BALLS again. VT had them, but they were small balls. laugh.gif They need to grow back some big ol' ass kicking balls again. yes.gif

Now THAT's a paragraph that deserves to be quoted!!!! 1022.gif

laugh.gif

I truly appreciate your point here Necro. You know I looooooove the heavy and hard crankin' stuff!!! As long term loyal fans, we can enjoy 2.gif as they indulge in their creative variations. Because they like to change-it-up, there's a 2.gif sound for every mood and situation! T even made up a CD of quiet 2.gif for when we hang out at the beach at night to watch the waves.

Because I spend so much time with teenagers, I think timing is everything in music publishing. I loved Vapor Trails - - Peart's intro was exciting enough to swoon!!! But my students in 2002, weren't as thrilled as I was. In those years the rockers were big on MM, Korn, Tool, StaticX, LimpBizkit, and a lot of "Rap-Core". Vapor Trails wasn't biting enough for them at that time.

On the other hand, S&A was accepted by a HUGE group of youngins' last year. Students that I didn't even have in class were seeking me out at school to guide them in their study of this "new" laugh.gif band that they had just discovered! IMO, S&A has won the band a whole new audience, who are now busy buying up their collection of older CD's.

Agent ByTor, (our grandson), enjoys a good laugh when boys (yes, it's still mostly the boys confused13.gif ) ask him if he's heard the new band on the radio playing "Far Cry". (He's in eighth grade like Chickie!) Naturally, he takes the opportunity at that point to show off his 2.gif knowledge as he points to his shirt!

Good idea for a thread, Necro!

After experiencing life over several decades, I think some years are just too subdued in energy for the mainstream to accept the heavy stuff. This would be a GREAT thesis topic in psych if anyone in college wants to bite!!!

Heavy shredding metal music exposes urges and emotions that not everyone can handle. Back to your point - - IT TAKES BALLS!!!!!

Hare biggrin.gif

I would definitely have become a fan after hearing S&A. When I first heard FarCry I was drawn to S&A and I can honestly say there is not a song on there I don't like. Many Rush albums took more than a few listens to hook me but the songs on S&A just kinda melted from one song to the next.

I all but guarantee I would NOT have become a fan or even become a little bit curious about them. I wouldn't have bought S&A, seen them in concert or searched out their previous work. If I heard Far Cry or Larger Bowl on the radio I probably would've stayed tuned in but not for the other singles like Spindrift and Workin' Them Angels. They'd be just another artist that's been around a long time putting out music. Have The Rolling Stones made many fans out of anything they've put out in the last 20+ years? I doubt it.

I really liked the first(?) singles off of the last(?) Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen albums, but I don't even know what those songs were called let alone making me more curious about their work other than what I already knew about them. And Rush's new songs would've given me the same reaction.

It's hard to say when Rush's music and my taste stopped correlating as completely as it used to, probably after Signals. I don't think an album like GUP or anything after would've made me a fan if I hadn't been one already. The closest any album after Signals would've made me at least curious would've been Presto or Counterparts.

If Signals was the fork in the road, then GUP was the other path, getting further apart with PoW and HYF, closer with Presto, further with RTB, closer with Counterparts, and given the time to reach it, a lot further with TFE. Even VT's heavier work wouldn't have made me more interested. I was in full System Of A Down/White Stripes mode at that point, VT never had a chance.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 9 2008, 12:29 PM)
I think the reaction to Grace Under Pressure was more savaging than Signals.

True, I wouldn't even buy GuP after it came out. I didn't get round to buying it until after HYF, then I found out I did like it. Now the emphasis is, I did like it.

I have to say that I think the band missed on their last 2 records for different reasons. I would not be a fan if that was their entire catalog. I know no one will agree with me and I don't care, but I think they do it more for the money now days than the passion. I still think they are one of the top 10 bands since bands started plugging in their instruments but I think age has taken the edge off.

I really believe that if I had never heard Rush before, SNA would have mad a fan out of me. Most Rush albums, for me, require a few listens to hook me, but Far Cry, at least, hooked me the first time I heard it. That is the first time that has happened to me since I first heard The Trees in the early 80s and was forever hooked on Rush.

The song that got me started was Show Don't Tell. Now, if I'd never heard Rush before 2007...

I can't say for sure I'd have bern hooked for life, but Far Cry would definitely have had me checking them out. However, if i hadn't bought S&A before Spindrift came out, that might have turned me back off. The balance would then have been tipped by the singles Larger Bowl and Workin' Them Angels.

So yes, it would have made me a fan, albeit one wondering who the heck told them Spindrift would be a good single... tongue.gif

Certainly have a differing of views on this one dont we.

I think if I had heard S&A in total isolation I would in all honesty of just thought, thats ok, and moved on. As its Rush I obviously was prepared to give it a chance and let it grow on me.

I think that most Rush music is something you grow to like, particularly in the years since Power Windows. Most the albums since then are in my opinion albums that need to be played at least 10 times to really get the maximum out of them. I remember the first time I heard Test for Echo, I can honestly say I thought it sucked, but having played it 10 or 15 times I began to hear where it was coming from and started to get the nuances that it offered, now I really like it.

It's the same with most of the albums of the last 15 to 20 years I think. Not reallyl alot of immediacy, I did quite like Vapor Trails after a couple of listens, but the awful awful production robs it from being one of my absolute favourites.

Archived