Did a Rush member inspire u to play instrument?

ReflectedLight

Just curious how many musicians are on the board and if you were inspired by one of the members to play an instrument.

I've been sucking at acoustic guitar for a while now. I mean really suck. sad.gif I guess because I'm not 100% driven and don't practice, but I was influenced by Al.

Also been taking a shot at the drums, but living in a quiet 3 family house on the middle floor, well it's just not realistic for practicing.

I was already playing drums in school when I first heard RUSH. I will tell you this, I played longer and learned more after listening to Neil. I also started reading the lyrics which motivated me to start writing. I haven't picked up a pair of sticks in a while but, my son is 4 years old and I need to get back behind a set so I can teach him. As for the lyrics I wrote, I will find either a band to form or give them to a worthy band to turn into songs.

2.gif The Best Band in the World

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Feb 25 2008, 04:53 PM)
The first time I heard Broon's Bane / The Trees offa Exit Stage Left... my brain went *POP* I just knew I had to get a guitar and learn how to play those.

How WELL I can play them is another story altogether.

ohmy.gif

trink39.gif

I've gotten as far as the first two notes on BB. It's a work in progress. eyesre4.gif

For me as a bass player, it was a case of picking out good bass players when listening to new bands. Fair to say Rush passed pretty convincingly!!

I started playing the drums a few years before I found out about Rush. But, listening to "Moving Pictures" changed everything and inspired me to improve up to this day. Neil has been and still is a major influence, even while playing music nowhere close in style and sound as Rush music. Using your imagination, not being afraid of experimenting while serving the music, put lots of heart into the performance... all of that I learned from The Professor. I'm just an amateur drummer but there is never a time when I sit behind the drums and not apply something I learned from Rush.

To see where I am at the moment, for those interested in this kind of things, go:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Astrotama

Enjoy!

QUOTE (AstroTama @ Feb 25 2008, 06:52 PM)
I started playing the drums a few years before I found out about Rush. But, listening to "Moving Pictures" changed everything and inspired me to improve up to this day. Neil has been and still is a major influence, even while playing music nowhere close in style and sound as Rush music. Using your imagination, not being afraid of experimenting while serving the music, put lots of heart into the performance... all of that I learned from The Professor. I'm just an amateur drummer but there is never a time when I sit behind the drums and not apply something I learned from Rush.

To see where I am at the moment, for those interested in this kind of things, go:

Enjoy!

Dude, before I read this post I was watching you perform Available light. Awesome. You are no way an amateur.

QUOTE (hope70 @ Feb 25 2008, 07:17 PM)
QUOTE (AstroTama @ Feb 25 2008, 06:52 PM)

Enjoy!

Dude, before I read this post I was watching you perform Available light. Awesome. You are no way an amateur.

I just watched the video of Tom Sawyer. It was awesome! I love the kit, too. And I have that same shirt!

Archived