Rush overdoing it?

GeminiRising79

Its not my intention to ruffle any feathers here, but is anyone sick of Rush constantly releasing "new" old material or rehashing newer material(live dvds, cds, and other various things)? IMO its pretty gluttinous of them to put out a live S&A concert almost immediately after the new release. It seems they are going overboard in their quest to sell as much as they possible can to Rush fans (most of whom are pretty gullible). In my opinion they've sold themselves out, as well as their true roots fans like myself. Again, I am not trying to insult anyone here, but wondering if anyone else holds the same sentiments.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Feb 20 2008, 01:41 PM)
Its not my intention to ruffle any feathers here, but is anyone sick of Rush constantly releasing "new" old material or rehashing newer material(live dvds, cds, and other various things)? IMO its pretty gluttinous of them to put out a live S&A concert almost immediately after the new release. It seems they are going overboard in their quest to sell as much as they possible can to Rush fans (most of whom are pretty gullible). In my opinion they've sold themselves out, as well as their true roots fans like myself. Again, I am not trying to insult anyone here, but wondering if anyone else holds the same sentiments.

someday when it's all over people will wish they were still doing it

trink39.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 20 2008, 01:43 PM)
Its not my intention to ruffle any feathers here, but is anyone sick of Rush constantly releasing "new" old material or rehashing newer material(live dvds, cds, and other various things)?  IMO its pretty gluttinous of them to put out a live S&A concert almost immediately after the new release. It seems they are going overboard in their quest to sell as much as they possible can to Rush fans (most of whom are pretty gullible).  In my opinion they've sold themselves out, as well as their true roots fans like myself.  Again, I am not trying to insult anyone here, but wondering if anyone else holds the same sentiments.

someday when it's all over people will wish they were still doing it

trink39.gif

well put! trink39.gif

lets hope for that boxset after they call it quits!

I would agree with what you're saying if the band released a new Greatest Hits after each new release, but a live DVD / CD release is a trend in which, although unique, I'm very happy with.

I don't own everything Rush just because it's Rush. But live releases... you betcha I do. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Good topic. Consider feathers not ruffled. trink39.gif

Well I think I can agree with you, some great points. For example, I will not be buying the new live CD. I've spent enough money on these guys lately (2 concerts, the new album), and I really haven't enjoyed any of those three. But then again I thought Feedback was a total sellout, as they needed money buy couldn't produce original material, so as far as you calling them sellouts I kind of agree.

They've sure been very active this year and last - which is a totally awesome.

As my good man Pags said... not like they've been dishing out greatest hits albums and crap like that on an extra regular basis as of late

Instead they toured new material in 2007 which is always awesome and hit Europe which they haven't done in a very long time... next are treating us to a live CD before the new leg kicks off to get us "In the Mood" much of what is on this live album has never before been released live... then they will continue the tour visiting many places they haven't been to in a dogs age... and while they are on the road they will revisit some of the Rush-ravenous cities from last leg since they will be in the neighborhood.

After that we will be treated to an awesome shiny new likely High-Def DVD treating us to the fresh material they been touring with.

Sounds excellent to me! Awesome album / tour / live CD and DVD all within 18 months or so... sounds like a normal life cycle of the band... not something being over done.

trink39.gif

Long live 2.gif !

I'm generally not a big fan of live albums by almost any group. There are some notable exceptions, but those are groups where generally the versions of songs played live are significantly different than the studio versions. Rush is NOT one of those groups.

Admittedly, SEEING them live and having them generally pretty faithfully re-create studio songs live is very exciting on a lot of different levels, but by the time it makes the transfer to an audio release, most of the magic for me is gone and I'm just wishing that I was hearing the studio versions. Please no offense, but this is why I don't collect Rush bootlegs. I just can't see the point as it just sounds to me like slightly less polished versions of their studio songs and it all kind of sounds the same.

Mind you, I have all the live albums, but I rarely, rarely find myself listening to them, and then usually only to the odd tracks that have been drastically altered from their studio versions.

Releasing S&A live I find COMPLETELY harmless. Obviously a lot of people love to collect anything Rush and love their live albums, and that's cool. The only real problem I'd have is if their incessant releasing of live material kept them from what I REALLY want, which is of course another studio album of original material.

Honestly, I would MUCH rather they be doing that then extending their tour, but obviously that ain't up to me and many people are thrilled they're touring again.

Anyway, just my 2 cents...

ph34r.gif

Gluttonous? No. They're proud of the material off of S&A, and it's pretty obvious they're proud of the way this tour went. I think it's great that we're getting these songs live. I don't think they're selling anybody out- they like what they've done. I'm sorry that you feel sold out as a "true roots" fan, but there are a LOT of us in the younger generation who missed Rush in their heyday and love to get as much of the experience as we can, while it lasts.

Just my 2 cents.

Its not my intention to ruffle any feathers here, but is anyone sick of Rush constantly releasing "new" old material or rehashing newer material(live dvds, cds, and other various things)?  IMO its pretty gluttinous of them to put out a live S&A concert almost immediately after the new release. It seems they are going overboard in their quest to sell as much as they possible can to Rush fans (most of whom are pretty gullible).  In my opinion they've sold themselves out, as well as their true roots fans like myself.  Again, I am not trying to insult anyone here, but wondering if anyone else holds the same sentiments.

Sick of it??? no.gif no.gif no.gif I don't believe Rush has much say in greatest hits compilations released by thier old label Mercury. How many greatest hits cd's are there of material after HYF. Zero. They were in dire need of releasing all their old tapes on dvd, if you were referring to the X3 package. Gluttinous? Sell outs?? Dear boy, you obviously did not have to endure the endless years of there being no Rush dvd's at all, then finally we were lucky enough to have the Chronicles video comp on dvd. Rush in Rio was a gods send to us Rush fans. Is it unusual that Rush has had so many live releases over the last few years? Yes. And i was glad for each one. Gullible? Whatever dude.. i'd buy a live cd and dvd of every tour they ever did if they would put it out. Rush is my favorite band. Rock on. 1022.gif

And for those somewhat dismissing the live albums... I can understand that a bit as I also listen to thier studio material about 10X more than live material... with as goober mentioned some exceptions - drastically different songs, drum solo etcetera...

The live DVDs though! Man I wish they had one for every tour of theirs! It's so miraculous to sit in front of the tele on one of those special nights and relive the Rush concert experience both musically and visually... as much as I look forward to hearing the new live CD - I am twently times more pumped about the DVD.

Thanks for not flaming me on this one guys. I love the Rush of older days and am not comfortable with my past heros turning into bonafide fatcat capitalists. No doubt they're deserving of the fruits of their labor, but its apparent to me that they are by-and-large/primarily businessmen now, and musicians secondarily. Nothing wrong with staying viable before their shelf-life expires, but in recent years its really over-the-top and this is simply wretched overselling.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Feb 20 2008, 12:27 PM)
Thanks for not flaming me on this one guys. I love the Rush of older days and am not comfortable with my past heros turning into bonafide fatcat capitalists. No doubt they're deserving of the fruits of their labor, but its apparent to me that they are by-and-large/primarily businessmen now, and musicians secondarily. Nothing wrong with staying viable before their shelf-life expires, but in recent years its really over-the-top and this is simply wretched overselling.

I might agree with you if they hadn't just released an absolutely fantastic album just a few months ago. It's called Snakes & Arrows - perhaps you've heard of it? tongue.gif

Seriously, if they can still release an album of that quality 33 years after their debut (and I challenge anyone to find ANY group who has made an album of that high quality that far into their career), then they can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I'd prefer another studio album over a longer tour, but not much I can do about that. I can only hope they have at least one more studio album in them as good as S&A. I never could have dreamt they had something that good in them this late into the game.

On this tour they certainly looked like they were working as opposed to having fun like their tours in the past. I went to both night and saw the same thing both nights, so it wasn't just an off-night or anything. I really have a feeling they are just counting their cash until they feel comfortable that they can retire. Neil needed the money and I guess the quickest way to get that is to tour, and that is probably why there is such a quick second leg happening. Oh well <sigh>.

One other very salient point here:

While I'm personally not a big fan of live albums (or even DVD's for that matter), there's one reason obviously they keep producing them, and that's because they SELL.

In one way you might say I've proven your argument, but look at this way. WHY do they sell? They sell because people buy them. If people are buying them, obviously they're enjoying them or they wouldn't keep buying them. They're making a lot of people happy.

Yeah, they're making a lot of well-deserved money in the process. Rush have never received the accolades they deserve when compared with their level of talent. They deserve success.

Rush have never "tried" to make big hit singles and have never played the games they could have played to get ahead in the music industry. They've stayed together with the same line-up for decades with members who don't seem to over-indulge in the rock star lifestyle of out of control alcohol, drugs and groupies. This is just NOT a group that you can call sell-outs. I personally haven't loved all their studio albums in the past 20 years, but THEY have and they've always strived to be the best they can be, and giving it their all every time they perform, as opposed to just releasing product to keep the cash cow going.

I'm just sayin' here...

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Feb 20 2008, 02:27 PM)
its apparent to me that they are by-and-large/primarily businessmen now, and musicians secondarily.

Oh crap dude you were doing so great not getting flamed. Why'd you have to throw some cockamamie nonsense like this into the mix?

On behalf of the majority of Rush fans I'd say I'm perplexed if not offended by this statement.

wacko.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Feb 20 2008, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Feb 20 2008, 02:27 PM)
its apparent to me that they are by-and-large/primarily businessmen now, and musicians secondarily.

Oh crap dude you were doing so great not getting flamed. Why'd you have to throw some cockamamie nonsense like this into the mix?

On behalf of the majority of Rush fans I'd say I'm perplexed if not offended by this statement.

wacko.gif

I COMPLETELY AGREE!!

BLASPHEMY, I SAY!! yes.gif

QUOTE (RedGreen @ Feb 20 2008, 12:40 PM)
On this tour they certainly looked like they were working as opposed to having fun like their tours in the past. I went to both night and saw the same thing both nights, so it wasn't just an off-night or anything. I really have a feeling they are just counting their cash until they feel comfortable that they can retire. Neil needed the money and I guess the quickest way to get that is to tour, and that is probably why there is such a quick second leg happening. Oh well <sigh>.

I saw them this tour and I hadn't seen them in 20 years. They looked like they were having plenty of fun to me - it was as if no time had passed at all except everyone's a bit older. Maybe you're just seeing what you want to see to fit your preconceived hypothesis, but what you're saying is the rare exception to the rule of people's general reactions to this last tour. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but you're most definitively in a VERY small minority here...

When it was just a year or so between records I'd have agreed. When you spend 3 to 5 years between studio albums, it's refreshing.

I wish there was an official live record and video from EVERY tour, quite honestly. What a luxury that would be for a fan.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 20 2008, 01:51 PM)
Maybe you're just seeing what you want to see to fit your preconceived hypothesis, but what you're saying is the rare exception to the rule of people's general reactions to this last tour. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but you're most definitively in a VERY small minority here...

Well said rushgoober trink39.gif I've gotta agree with that yes.gif I figure if you're not into what Rush is doing lately, don't go see them.

I do not agree with you.

We, and when I say we I mean us gullible Rush fans, were dying for more more more and in m opinion, they are just happy to give us what we wanted. And as far as the ban being "businessmen now and musicians secondarily", I think you are way off base.

Archived