What do you do with your hair?

afurrything

Mine needs something. It is long and I'm not sure if I want to cut it. I am tired of pulling it back into a ponytail everyday.

It has no style just long and straight. Mostly brown but has grey. I've had grey since I was 24, I'm 40 now. I have dyed it in the past but not sure if I want to now.

I really just need a style, something easy tho.

Any ideas? Anyone here have longish hair? I'd love to see what you do with it.

Mindi

QUOTE (afurrything @ Sep 5 2007, 11:31 AM)
Mine needs something. It is long and I'm not sure if I want to cut it. I am tired of pulling it back into a ponytail everyday.
It has no style just long and straight. Mostly brown but has grey. I've had grey since I was 24, I'm 40 now. I have dyed it in the past but not sure if I want to now.
I really just need a style, something easy tho.
Any ideas? Anyone here have longish hair? I'd love to see what you do with it.
Mindi

I have long straight hair, but usually do what you do LOL I haven't been able to resign myself to getting a "hair style" for a wicked long time because I really can't be bothered with having to style my hair everyday sad.gif

Mine is fairly straight has a bit of wave to it.

I want a style that I don't have to style, LOL! When I had short hair I could shower and towel dry and kind of mess it up and it looked fine. With it long it just kind of always looks frumpy. But I don't know if I want to go short again.

You should go for some long layers in your hair if you don't want to take much length off. Even face-framing layers give some body and shape to the cut. They look good flipped out, in or just plain straight. It's practically no fuss.

Also, do you have bangs? If not, you might want to try them as well. You don't need all-out bangs like a child would laugh.gif but wispy, side-swept bangs can give a change to any look. That way, they're not too short and you can wear them on either side or still pull them back if you want.

I have shoulder-length hair w/ some layers in it. I usually wear it down, but if I want it out of my face, I'm always doing the 1/2 up-1/2 down look. I small "claw" clip works good for that instead of a twisty tie, which can break your hair (My hair is dry and brittle so I need to use clips more than hair ties).

If you want a dramatic change, be bold and cut it shorter. You may really like it. I find there is more style options when you have shorter hair. Especially easier styles, lest time to straighten and blow dry.

If you wanna leave it long; why dont you try cutting it into layers, you'll find that it gives a fun style to your hair. That way you dont have to really do much to it because the style has been cut into your hair. smile.gif

You should get some styling products like mouse and texturizing creams, that will give your hair more body and you can flip it out or piece it.

Maybe brush your hair to a side part, it gives you a more exotic look because pieces of hair are wispy around your face.

Only you can decide if you want to dye your hair.

Remember to have fun with your hair. smile.gif

Mine is basically long and messy - I've permed it for so many years now that I think most people don't even know it's really dead straight. (It's as fine and flimsy as cobwebs, so if I wear it straight it just goes flat - and I really don't like it short. Good thing I have tons of it.) I just basically wash it, scrunch some leave-in conditioner into it while it's wet and air dry it. No muss, no fuss, no bother... laugh.gif

It always cracks me up when, every so often, my friends will all try to convince me to go short. "But then you wouldn't need to do all that stuff to it - you could just wash it and go!" Uh, yeah, that's what I do now.

Seriously, though, if you don't want to go for full-bore layers, you could just get the ends layered - say, the last few inches. That's how mine's cut - with it being so fine, layers all over would make the top look fluffy, but the ends would be thin and stringy. Mine is only layered below the ears. And mine's turning white in random streaks, but I'm not dyeing it at the moment. I don't think it could take both the perm and coloring, and I'd rather have the curls.

Tail it

Twist it

Flip it and clip it

Gather into tail, just a bit higher than the base of your hairline. Secure with ponytailer.

Twist it as if absent mindedly playing with the whole tail. Ya know, just kind of winding it 'round your fingers... til the length is lightly twisted.

And flip. With hair twisted, flip it up... along the back of your head, over top (mine, I can flip it up and over and it reaches my nose...)

and clip it. With a large barette that can hold a thick bunch securely... secure the twisted tail eaither at back of head or near top, depending on length... grabbing some of the har thats against your head, so the twisted tail is trapped.

Now let the tail go. it will fall over the barette and look a lot more fun than the basic tail.

I'll have to take some pics of me doing my hair... I'm not sure I described it well...

There's also braiding...

Or French twist...

Mine's naturally curly so it has a mind of its own. When it's really short I can straighten it, but I really can't be bothered. It's too much trouble. Right now it's a little past chin length and I'm basically just letting it grow again. I don't know if I'll grow it out to donate or not.

I really don't have a "style," but I like having mine all one length (maybe some long layers) so that I can pull it back or put it up if I feel like it.

Now the gray hairs that are becoming more numerous by the day...that's another story altogether. angry.gif

I have long straight hair (if you want to go into detail, it's actually wavy in the back and straight in the front wacko.gif.) It's fine, but I have a lot of it but I chopped 6 inches off just last Friday. I couldn't donate it because it was highlighted but I sure would have otherwise. I usually straighten out the waves so it's consistent, other than that, I'm too chicken to do anything drastic.... I don't have time to worry about mussin' and fussin' with my hair. Brush it or braid it.... that's all I do.

ohmy.gif a ponytail isn't a style... laugh.gif

as far as the greys, yep got them in the face frame area. I don't want to dye my hair so I highlight. In the summer an all over highlight for the winter face frame only.

I have natural thick curly hair nothing is quick and easy about it. If I brush it out I look like Roseanna Roseanna Danna or Chaka Khan. So up in the ponytail it goes, or that 1/2 up 1/2 down.

I like the sound of that tail, twist and clip - please post a picture of the end look if you can find one.

You just need to like what you see in the mirror and have it fit your lifestyle.

Just remember it's hair it will grow back or go back to it natural color.

Now if anyone can help me with my daughter who has pin straight hair, I can't even get any thing to stay in it, it all slips right out.

QUOTE (owlswing @ Sep 6 2007, 03:07 PM)
ohmy.gif a ponytail isn't a style... laugh.gif

as far as the greys, yep got them in the face frame area. I don't want to dye my hair so I highlight. In the summer an all over highlight for the winter face frame only.

I have natural thick curly hair nothing is quick and easy about it. If I brush it out I look like Roseanna Roseanna Danna or Chaka Khan. So up in the ponytail it goes, or that 1/2 up 1/2 down.

I like the sound of that tail, twist and clip - please post a picture of the end look if you can find one.

You just need to like what you see in the mirror and have it fit your lifestyle.

Just remember it's hair it will grow back or go back to it natural color.

Now if anyone can help me with my daughter who has pin straight hair, I can't even get any thing to stay in it, it all slips right out.

Yay!! Chaka Khan!! 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

It would be cool if you did the Chaka Khan hairdo and posted a pic for us!

Afro's rock!!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 6 2007, 09:37 AM)
Mine's naturally curly so it has a mind of its own. When it's really short I can straighten it, but I really can't be bothered. It's too much trouble. Right now it's a little past chin length and I'm basically just letting it grow again. I don't know if I'll grow it out to donate or not.

I really don't have a "style," but I like having mine all one length (maybe some long layers) so that I can pull it back or put it up if I feel like it.

Now the gray hairs that are becoming more numerous by the day...that's another story altogether. angry.gif

GG, looks like we have the same problem: my hair has a mind of its own too and it's naturally curly but I would never go out with that natural look because it's just awful. When it's humid like today, it's even worse, there's no use for me trying to keep it straight, although when it's dry outside, I have no problem, or at least less problems. I usually make a ponytail too, or that 1/2 up - 1/2 down style that some of you have described before. I'm letting it grow now, I find my hair is easier to manage when it's long.

And as for the grey hair, I won't go there. If I didn't dye my hair, it would probably be 3/4 grey, 1/4 brownish. I hate my natural colour anyway.

Why don't you consult a hairdresser, see what they have to say? Sometimes they see things that we just don't see and they probably could give you a few ideas.

My hair is shoulder length with layers. I have to hot brush otherwise its just too wavy in some places, dead flat in others.

I went for a complete change this year. I'm a natural blonde but decided after 35 yrs of the same colour, i've gone a redhead!! So i've gone a warm chocolate brown with thin rich dark red slices all over, looks pretty cool and i dont regret doin it at all!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I've got huge dark brown puppydog eyes and being darker has made them stand out even more! Feel a lot sexier with my hair this colour!!!

I wanted a bold new change with my hair and I recently cut a bunch off.... it was down to my butt and now it is about shoulder length. It's layered and it looks real cute.

I have done a lot of things with my hair...

I've had it cut for a side part... first layer of hair being about chin length and then getting longer and the last layer being half way down my back. That was very cute. My mother said I looked like a supermodel when I got it cut like that.

About 2 years ago I got a really bad haircut sad.gif so to make it look better I got my hair permed. It was so gorgeous. I loved having curly hair. It was curly for almost 2 years ...

then I got bored of curls... lol so back to my recent haircut, I got what was left of my curls cut off and I am just in love with my haircut.

Pretty much I just keep mine as it is ... when I am feeling daring, I'll part it to the side... thats my more "glamorous" days.... and when I am having an off day it will go into a messy ponytail.

A lot of women now a days are putting their hair in a bun... and it looks too cute! But honestly, I have no idea how to do it... so if anyone wants to share the secret...please do. I've tried, but I am hopeless with it.

But I would definitely suggest getting your hair layered. When I first got my hair layered I was so in love with it. It's just something simple that makes your hair look great all the time.

As for the rest of these crazy hair styles (such as the bun) I am completely hopeless with...

I have long-layered hair. The longest part goes below the top of my shorts/pants. I have layers along the sides and a few in the back. It is also a multi-colored hi-lite with blonde, real light blonde and some reddish tone. I curl it everyday with a small barrell curling iron. Even then it takes like 15 minutes or so and I'm done. I use a heat spray so I don't damage my hair from the curling iron. Layers may be just the thing for you to change up your style without going real short.

Archived