Your Opinion of me as a Rush fan

BearFrog

I have four albums, one from each decade of the band's career.

I have the debut album (pink text), Moving Pictures, Counterparts and Snakes & Arrows on CD. I've got burnt copies of Vapor Trails, 2112 and The Spirit of the Radio, and a few various tracks from throughout the years and have enjoyed listening to my Dad's Farewell To Kings and All The World's A Stage records.

I own two Rush DVDs, one being a music video collection and the other being R30. Reading Ghost Rider right now.

My favorite Rush song is Time Stand Still, favorite album their debut.

I'm 17 and discovered Rush a couple years ago, saw them for the first time last night. Absolutely loved the show.

So, I'm at the point where I'm a bit better than a casual fan, but still don't know the whole discography. http://209.85.12.234/7361/20/emo/cool.gif

I've heard that Rush fans are crazier than Kiss fans, and most of the diehards I've met are pretty mellow people. So I'd like to get into a general discussion on Rush fandom, and whether or not you approve mine as "Wow, that kid is digging into Rush's discography, cool" or "That kid sucks for not having heard Presto in it's entirety"

tongue.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (BearFrog @ Aug 31 2007, 08:10 AM)

I've heard that Rush fans are crazier than Kiss fans, and most of the diehards I've met are pretty mellow people. So I'd like to get into a general discussion on Rush fandom, and whether or not you approve mine as "Wow, that kid is digging into Rush's discography, cool" or "That kid sucks for not having heard Presto in it's entirety"

This guy, I like this guy..........

Ya......I guess you're alright.

Welcome to the club.

Interesting. First of all, I recommend not caring what we/anybody thinks about your Rush fandom. Just enjoy it. Follow your heart and mind. Music can be a very powerful thing.

My comments about your collection are that 'hey, you gotta start somewhere' and you're following a path that's familiar to me and presumably to a lot of folks around here. (Even though for me, it was probably right around the time you were born!) ohmy.gif

I'm glad you're enjoying the music and am glad you got to see them live last night and that you had fun. That's what it's all about!

P.S. The name of the (studio) album with "The Spirit of Radio" on it is Permanent Waves.

QUOTE (New World Manny @ Aug 31 2007, 09:32 AM)
P.S. The name of the (studio) album with "The Spirit of Radio" on it is Permanent Waves.

I know that. I'm talking about that greatest hits collection that starts with Working Man and ends with Time Stand Still. ^^

I figure I'll eventually make some cringeworthy mistake like that eventually, but thus far I'm doin' good.

And really, I know it's your own opinion is the one that truly matters, but I think it's still interesting discussion.

You will become a bigger fan. Get the rest of their disc, and you will see. Every single Rush disc has stuff that will blow you away.

And the only opinion that matters is your own. If you feel you are a good 2.gif fan, then you are. Who gives a rats a$$ what anyone else thinks! wink.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 31 2007, 09:36 AM)
You will become a bigger fan. Get the rest of their disc, and you will see. Every single Rush disc has stuff that will blow you away.

And the only opinion that matters is your own. If you feel you are a good 2.gif fan, then you are. Who gives a rats a$$ what anyone else thinks! wink.gif

Trust me, I'm the type of guy who if I like a band, I'll dig into their entire discography. Rush, despite not having heard as much as some of my other lesser favorites, is still one of my favorite bands. The only problem is that I, being 17, have grown up after all this great music has already come out and it's not like buying one album every year. There's just a ton of music out there, and very little $, but I tend to like to support artists I like so I get CDs instead of burnt copies, ESPECIALLY with new releases.

QUOTE (BearFrog @ Aug 31 2007, 09:39 AM)
You will become a bigger fan.  Get the rest of their disc, and you will see.  Every single Rush disc has stuff that will blow you away.

And the only opinion that matters is your own.  If you feel you are a good  2.gif fan, then you are.  Who gives a rats a$$ what anyone else thinks!  wink.gif

Trust me, I'm the type of guy who if I like a band, I'll dig into their entire discography. Rush, despite not having heard as much as some of my other lesser favorites, is still one of my favorite bands. The only problem is that I, being 17, have grown up after all this great music has already come out and it's not like buying one album every year. There's just a ton of music out there, and very little $, but I tend to like to support artists I like so I get CDs instead of burnt copies, ESPECIALLY with new releases.

I started listening to the guys back in 1980, when I was 11, so I only had 7 albums that I had to go back and get...and even that took me a little while, so I know what you mean! I used to ask Santa for Rush albums every year back then. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (BearFrog @ Aug 31 2007, 09:36 AM)
P.S.  The name of the (studio) album with "The Spirit of Radio" on it is Permanent Waves.

I know that. I'm talking about that greatest hits collection that starts with Working Man and ends with Time Stand Still. ^^

Ahh, I'm not familiar with that. Look at that, you're already teaching "us veterans" something! wink.gif

Keep up the good work!

1287.gif

Reading this thread just put a huge smile on my face. Welcome to the Crazies. laugh.gif

I'm a HUGE Kiss fan, but not nearly as much as I'm a Rush fan. I think we're all crazy - but a Kiss show is designed to get you as adrenalized as can be until all you can do is pound your fist in their and cheer back to the band as loud as you can until your voice is shot for 7 days after the show. A Rush show is much different. Great stage show, but much more designed around the music and not nearly as much around the 'showmanship'. So it's natural that a Rush crowd will be a bit more mellow.

Anyway.. I love your avatar. I've never seen that before and it's awesome.

Welcome to TRF - and enjoy discovering the discogrophy. That was hard enough to type. Now try saying three times fast. tongue.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Aug 31 2007, 10:42 AM)
Reading this thread just put a huge smile on my face.  Welcome to the Crazies.  laugh.gif

I'm a HUGE Kiss fan, but not nearly as much as I'm a Rush fan.  I think we're all crazy - but a Kiss show is designed to get you as adrenalized as can be until all you can do is pound your fist in their and cheer back to the band as loud as you can until your voice is shot for 7 days after the show.  A Rush show is much different.  Great stage show, but much more designed around the music and not nearly as much around the 'showmanship'.  So it's natural that a Rush crowd will be a bit more mellow.

Anyway.. I love your avatar.  I've never seen that before and it's awesome.

Welcome to TRF - and enjoy discovering the discogrophy.  That was hard enough to type.  Now try saying three times fast.  tongue.gif

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e27/BearFrogkiss/raro.jpg

Found a picture a couple of years ago and modified it a bit, adding in Bruce Kulick (The Dog), Mark St. John (The White Tiger) and cutting in half the Spaceman and the Catman to represent Frehley/Thayer and Criss/Singer to have all ten members of Kiss in one picture. I didn't make the Carr or Vincent ones, somebody else did. But yeah, I used that picture as a CD cover but my computer crashed, so I lost the file, but managed to scan that picture.

And yeah, I can definately see why Rush fans are more mellow in general than Kiss fans, but I keep hearing stories about psychotic Rush fans and I've never really seen one. I guess to the general public, anyone who gets every studio album is "psychotic". laugh.gif

QUOTE (JimboGames @ Aug 31 2007, 10:57 AM)
I, for one, am glad you are a Rush fan smile.gif

I first got hooked on Rush when I was 11 (25, almost 26 years ago).

One thing I think is very cool is that even though I'm listening to the same music my Dad listened to when he was my age, I discovered it on my own. I had zero interest in music until 2004, when I went to my first concert (Kiss) and since then music has become my entire life.

And I formed my own opinions, not based on what was popular (like Green Day and Nirvana) but what I just found to be awesome (like Warrant and Poison).

It's just really cool being able to go to a Rush concert with my Dad and really enjoy the show as opposed to being a kid dragged along who's like, "Eh, Rush is okay"

Just being able to have real conversations with my Dad about the music he grew up loving and seeing the same bands he saw when he was young...Pretty cool. cool.gif

QUOTE (BearFrog @ Aug 31 2007, 09:39 AM)
You will become a bigger fan.  Get the rest of their disc, and you will see.  Every single Rush disc has stuff that will blow you away.

And the only opinion that matters is your own.  If you feel you are a good  2.gif fan, then you are.  Who gives a rats a$$ what anyone else thinks!  wink.gif

Same here in every aspect of that paragraph. laugh.gif

Rush fandom is contagious. Even my friends, who like newer bands, are starting to get into them because of me.

Just let the fever take you.

2.gif on!

QUOTE (BearFrog @ Aug 31 2007, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE (JimboGames @ Aug 31 2007, 10:57 AM)
I, for one, am glad you are a Rush fan smile.gif

I first got hooked on Rush when I was 11 (25, almost 26 years ago).

One thing I think is very cool is that even though I'm listening to the same music my Dad listened to when he was my age, I discovered it on my own. I had zero interest in music until 2004, when I went to my first concert (Kiss) and since then music has become my entire life.

And I formed my own opinions, not based on what was popular (like Green Day and Nirvana) but what I just found to be awesome (like Warrant and Poison).

It's just really cool being able to go to a Rush concert with my Dad and really enjoy the show as opposed to being a kid dragged along who's like, "Eh, Rush is okay"

Just being able to have real conversations with my Dad about the music he grew up loving and seeing the same bands he saw when he was young...Pretty cool. cool.gif

We might be long lost twins...

rofl3.gif

P.S.  The name of the (studio) album with "The Spirit of Radio" on it is Permanent Waves.

I figure I'll eventually make some cringeworthy mistake like that eventually, but thus far I'm doin' good.

And really, I know it's your own opinion is the one that truly matters, but I think it's still interesting discussion.

That would be the "The Spirit of Radio" compelation record

The Greatest Hits 1974-1987

http://www.home-of-rock.de/CD-Reviews/Rush/Pics/The_Spirit_Of_Radio.jpg

Anyways welcome to TRF, and I'm pleased to see another 25 and under member as well (Me I'm 20, 21 in December) . You mentioned your father as part of you're reasoning at being a Rush fan. I started the same way, your record collection will grow and eventually you will own all studio and live records, then bootlegs will be added to your collection.

WELCOME.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 31 2007, 11:23 AM)

Anyways welcome to TRF, and I'm pleased to see another 25 and under member as well (Me I'm 20, 21 in December) . You mentioned your father as part of you're reasoning at being a Rush fan. I started the same way, your record collection will grow and eventually you will own all studio and live records, then bootlegs will be added to your collection.

WELCOME.

I'm actually a bigger Rush fan than my Dad. He went out and bought The Spirit of the Radio and we were listening to in the car, and that was my introduction to Rush. After a couple weeks I asked if I could borrow it to burn on my computer (parents divorced), so I burned myself a copy and ended up loving it. I even ended up diggin' some of the tracks on the CD he didn't get into as much (but after my praise of them, he enjoys the likes of Distant Early Warning and Force Ten). ^^

I'd be a Rush fan even if my Dad wasn't, but I may not have become one as soon. It's just cool that my Dad likes them too and we can talk about which tracks on Snakes & Arrows are our favorites (he likes The Larger Bowl and I'm a Far Cry kindof guy).

QUOTE (BearFrog @ Aug 31 2007, 11:27 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 31 2007, 11:23 AM)

WELCOME.

I'm actually a bigger Rush fan than my Dad. He went out and bought The Spirit of the Radio and we were listening to in the car, and that was my introduction to Rush. After a couple weeks I asked if I could borrow it to burn on my computer (parents divorced), so I burned myself a copy and ended up loving it. I even ended up diggin' some of the tracks on the CD he didn't get into as much (but after my praise of them, he enjoys the likes of Distant Early Warning and Force Ten). ^^

I'd be a Rush fan even if my Dad wasn't, but I may not have become one as soon. It's just cool that my Dad likes them too and we can talk about which tracks on Snakes & Arrows are our favorites (he likes The Larger Bowl and I'm a Far Cry kindof guy).

I don't know If I can say that, I owe my whole taste in Music to my Dad. Not do I owe my fanship(If that is the correct word) of Rush to my Dad, who has been a fan since the Debeut album, but to the whole genera of classic/hard/and progressive rock.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 31 2007, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (BearFrog @ Aug 31 2007, 11:27 AM)

I don't know If I can say that, I owe my whole taste in Music to my Dad. Not do I owe my fanship(If that is the correct word) of Rush to my Dad, who has been a fan since the Debeut album, but to the whole genera of classic/hard/and progressive rock.

My Dad is just a smidge less of a Rush fan than me, but that's only because I have access to more music (with friends being able to burn CDs). He's a guy who can listen to a Rush record and LOVE an obscure track but dosn't have every album.

My tastes in music are influenced by my Dad, as he helps me keep some roots in 60s and 70s rock and he introduced me to a lot of great bands like Artful Dodger and The Outlaws, but after I started getting into music heavily I discovered this channel called "Vh1 Classic".

I LOVED Metal Mania. I was introduced to the types of Dio, Queensryche, Ratt, etc. through that channel. So that morphed my tastes a bit. But also, knowing nothing about music, I assumed every band that the vast majority of my peers listened to were "classic bands".

I quickly learned that there is a lot of horrible music out there (i.e. most punk, grunge, emo and metal) and just sort of let my own tastes grow. I tend to enjoy a lot of rock and pop of all eras until the 1990s, where my music tastes become a lot more limited. I basically chose my music I liked goin' in blind. That's why my Dad and I disagree on some music (I like Dexys Midnight Runners, Prince and Michael Jackson. He likes a couple Alice In Chains and Metallica songs. I think Metallica sucks and he hates Michael Jackson.) but overall we have pretty similar tastes.

Archived