Owen Wilson Tries to Commit Suicide...

Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Aug 28 2007, 05:21 PM)
If it is true, he's an idiot. If you've ever had someone close to you die, you'll know that life isn't something you just give up because things aren't going your way. What a waste.

You obviously have no freaking clue how emotionally painful it is to have clinical depression.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 28 2007, 02:32 PM)
If it is true, he's an idiot.  If you've ever had someone close to you die, you'll know that life isn't something you just give up because things aren't going your way.  What a waste.

You obviously have no freaking clue how emotionally painful it is to have clinical depression.

I apologize if what I said offends you or anyone else but let me say this....Nothing.....let me repeat.....NOTHING is worth taking your own life. I don't give a crap how depressed you are. I watched my brother cling to every last bit of life he had while others were willing to just give their lives up so easily....it pisses me off. You obviously have no idea how painful it is to watch someone you love, who desperately wants to live, die.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Aug 28 2007, 07:33 PM)
If it is true, he's an idiot.  If you've ever had someone close to you die, you'll know that life isn't something you just give up because things aren't going your way.  What a waste.

I apologize if what I said offends you or anyone else but let me say this....Nothing.....let me repeat.....NOTHING is worth taking your own life. I don't give a crap how depressed you are. I watched my brother cling to every last bit of life he had while others were willing to just give their lives up so easily....it pisses me off. You obviously have no idea how painful it is to watch someone you love, who desperately wants to live, die.

Let me just say that what youre saying makes no sense. If you have clinical depression, your sense of value of life is not through the same lens you, as someone who is *not* clinically depressed, would see things through.

Equally insensitive and quite shortsighted is your belief that youre the only one thats ever seen someone die. Ive had three close friends die before their 30th birthday. I had a cousin with MD die at age 7. Yes.. seven.

Your entitled to your opinion, but calling poeple names that obviously need help, whether emotional, pychiatric, or physical, seems to me to be at least in bad taste, and at the most a real d-ckhead thing to say.

I've experienced both and it can be difficult to watch a person that we see as fortunate or at least "normal" express intent to kill themselves. This viewpoint usually is connected with the question of "why can;t they just get over it, life is rough, suck it up and move on." Clinically depressed people can;t just get over it. They have a real illness and need professional help and understanding from friends and family. Money, a hot spouse, a big house, fame, you name it; none of that enters into the equation for a depressed individual.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 28 2007, 07:51 PM)

I've experienced both and it can be difficult to watch a person that we see as fortunate or at least "normal" express intent to kill themselves. This viewpoint usually is connected with the question of "why can;t they just get over it, life is rough, suck it up and move on." Clinically depressed people can;t just get over it. They have a real illness and need professional help and understanding from friends and family. Money, a hot spouse, a big house, fame, you name it; none of that enters into the equation for a depressed individual.

goodpost.gif

We had this same argument at work today. The guy is rich , he has nothing to be depressed about, yadda, yadda, yadda ..... when you suffer from depression nothing matters...nothing. You can't see any of the good stuff in your life....you can't recognize that your friends and family love you and believe in you. You are blind to everything worthwhile.

We can only hope he gets the help he needs and is able to carry on with his life.

QUOTE (Analog Kelly @ Aug 28 2007, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 28 2007, 07:51 PM)

goodpost.gif

We had this same argument at work today. The guy is rich , he has nothing to be depressed about, yadda, yadda, yadda ..... when you suffer from depression nothing matters...nothing. You can't see any of the good stuff in your life....you can't recognize that your friends and family love you and believe in you. You are blind to everything worthwhile.

We can only hope he gets the help he needs and is able to carry on with his life.

Ive always loved the argument "he/she is rich, what do they have to be depressed about". Its moronic unless the persons whole life is nothing but earnign money. And guess what, truly poor people would say the same of a middle class person that would "get slack" about committing suicide. People that would do this to themselves deserve at least a little pity, or in many case streatment, not being called an a-hole.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 28 2007, 07:13 PM)
I don't think I've seen anything with this guy in...

unsure.gif

I'm sooooo out of touch all that shite...

biggrin.gif

Watch Wedding Crashers, or The Royal Tenembaums. (I think thats how you spell it laugh.gif )

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Aug 28 2007, 11:41 PM)

unsure.gif

biggrin.gif

Watch Wedding Crashers, or The Royal Tenembaums. (I think thats how you spell it laugh.gif )

Close enough... Tennenbaums. RT is one of those flicks that you love or hate, kind of an art film. WC is mainstream fun.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 28 2007, 10:43 PM)

unsure.gif

biggrin.gif

Close enough... Tennenbaums. RT is one of those flicks that you love or hate, kind of an art film. WC is mainstream fun.

Wait a sec I tihnk I've seen that one...

Is Gene Hackman in it?

And it's about this disfunctional family with two brothers and one tries to commit suicide by slashing his wrists in the bathroom at one point??

I seem to remember a good looking chick in it too...

A quirky sort of film?

unsure.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 28 2007, 11:46 PM)

unsure.gif

biggrin.gif

Is Gene Hackman in it?

And it's about this disfunctional family with two brothers and one tries to commit suicide by slashing his wrists in the bathroom at one point??

A quirky sort of film?

unsure.gif

Yup - thats EXACTLY the film... yes, quirky. Its "Wes Anderson" quirky...

The whole "slashing your wrists" and "taking pills" methods are ways where one is trying to get attention rather than truely killing themself. Because if someone really wanted to kill themself, they would pick a more definitive way to do it.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 28 2007, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 28 2007, 11:46 PM)

unsure.gif

biggrin.gif

Is Gene Hackman in it?

A quirky sort of film?

unsure.gif

Yup - thats EXACTLY the film... yes, quirky. Its "Wes Anderson" quirky...

Yeah well that wasn't a film bad actually...

Shit, I just realised something else, life imitating art? Hope Owen didn't slash his wrists in reality, I hate the idea of people doing that...

wacko.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 29 2007, 04:58 AM)
The whole "slashing your wrists" and "taking pills" methods are ways where one is trying to get attention rather than truely killing themself. Because if someone really wanted to kill themself, they would pick a more definitive way to do it.

really? sarcasm.gif

That's another misconception

all unsuccesful suicide attempts are just a cry for help wacko.gif

This is not true.

Its a misconception as mrs r has said.

Slashing and cutting wrists can be many things, its very complex. Too complex to be summed up as just 'attention' seeking

Hope he is gonna be ok. heart.gif

If this is true, this sucks, it just goes to show you can seeming have it all and still be miserable in life. I hope he finds happiness and peace in his life.

off topic - Why does the end of his nose look like a penis ? confused13.gif sayin...

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 29 2007, 01:30 PM)

off topic - Why does the end of his nose look like a penis ? confused13.gif sayin...

Don't think that's enough to push him over the edge wink.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 28 2007, 10:58 PM)

Nothing like an expert opinion, is there?

Again - I'm not exactly known for my celebrity compassion.

Hundreds of thousands of people are emotionally sick, and piles of people including people close to me try to kill themselves and often succeed.

At least buddy here can take part of the 75 million in his bank account and go get some good help for his problems. Most people are helpless and alone in their suffering.

confused13.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Aug 29 2007, 04:09 PM)

Hundreds of thousands of people are emotionally sick, and piles of people including people close to me try to kill themselves and often succeed.

At least buddy here can take part of the 75 million in his bank account and go get some good help for his problems. Most people are helpless and alone in their suffering.

confused13.gif

I feel sorry for anyone suffering from mental illness that leads to someone going as far as trying to kill themselves 75 million or not.

QUOTE (Milton Bridge @ Aug 29 2007, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Aug 29 2007, 04:09 PM)

At least buddy here can take part of the 75 million in his bank account and go get some good help for his problems.  Most people are helpless and alone in their suffering.

confused13.gif

I feel sorry for anyone suffering from mental illness that leads to someone going as far as trying to kill themselves 75 million or not.

Has he got 75 million?? Jeeez and I've only seen him one film...

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Aug 29 2007, 12:07 AM)
The whole "slashing your wrists" and "taking pills" methods are ways where one is trying to get attention rather than truely killing themself.  Because if someone really wanted to kill themself, they would pick a more definitive way to do it.

really? sarcasm.gif

That's another misconception

all unsuccesful suicide attempts are just a cry for help wacko.gif

Maybe not so much to seek attention for all, but mostly as a cry for help just because it is very hard to kill yourself via wrist slashing or taking pills. Someone whose in a state of despair to the point of killing themselves does research to find out the most definitive method before they actually do it. They plan it (eg, write a letter). They don't just wake up one day and say, "Ok, I'm going to take this gun and put a bullet through my head." Those who are really serious about killing themselves don't choose those two methods. THey shoot themselves, or put a hose from the tailpipe of their car into the window in a garage, or jump off a building. They don't choose a method where there is a possibility of survival.

Some more suicide tidbits: Women have more unsuccessful suicide attempts than men. This is for the same reasons above. Woman usually choose the methods that "don't do the job" where men choose methods that "do the job."