S&A Soundscan Update

Rushman14

In it's 14th week in release, S&A came in at #178 on Soundscan's top 200 with 4,341 units sold for a total of 232,794 units sold. That's a 3% drop from last week. These are U.S. numbers only.

1022.gif

653.gif I dun care I love my boys!!! wub.gif

At least they are still in to top 200 smile.gif

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Aug 8 2007, 11:16 AM)
In it's 14th week in release, S&A came in at #178 on Soundscan's top 200 with 4,341 units sold for a total of 232,794 units sold. That's a 3% drop from last week. These are U.S. numbers only.

1022.gif

Wow, this album doesn't look like it'll ever go gold. Definitely one of their worst selling albums. I attribute that to taking so long off between albums. People are just starting to forget about them or their just not really caring anymore. I wouldnt imagine their record company is too thrilled with those numbers.

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 8 2007, 10:51 AM)

1022.gif

Wow, this album doesn't look like it'll ever go gold. Definitely one of their worst selling albums. I attribute that to taking so long off between albums. People are just starting to forget about them or their just not really caring anymore. I wouldnt imagine their record company is too thrilled with those numbers.

and like we discuss every week, CD sales in general are way down. S&A is doing OK, but the guys are making the big money from the tour, no pun intended.

1022.gif

It Definitley has to do with the internet.........Alot of people i have spoken to have downloaded it illeagely.

1022.gif

I would attribute it to rock music just not selling these days.

Personally I don't get it. I would think a brilliant album like this would get huge ratings, airplay and sales, but kids today just don't give a shit I guess.

Also, I've talked to a lot of people about Rush who were at one point fans. Most of them are shocked to know they're still around and that they put out a new album. Most of them lost track of them somewhere in the mid-late 80's or so or early 90's either because they stopped hearing/seeing them or they didn't like the direction they were going in at the time.

I dun care no.gif I still love 2.gif no matter what wub.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 8 2007, 12:51 PM)

1022.gif

i think it is a few reasons why its not selling, they DID wait to long, people just dont buy music like they used to and for me really, its not a GREAT c.d. i know a lot of ya feel it is one of if not the best they have done but i think a lot more feel its just a good c.d and not a GREAT c.d. just my 2 cents 1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 8 2007, 01:58 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 8 2007, 12:51 PM)

1022.gif

i think it is a few reasons why its not selling, they DID wait to long, people just dont buy music like they used to and for me really, its not a GREAT c.d. i know a lot of ya feel it is one of if not the best they have done but i think a lot more feel its just a good c.d and not a GREAT c.d. just my 2 cents 1022.gif

Best they've done in 20 years - modern, emotional, powerful, great social commentary, totally rocks. It's not the quality of the album that is keeping it from greater sales. no.gif

Is no one else happy this album isnt getting alot of airplay???

Anyone else happy that some of the best songs on the new album HAVENT been released???

Anyone else happy that the majority of people buying this album will probably be the "hardcore" section of the Rush fans???

Do we want a great album to be spoilt by airplay? Do we want legions of Rush fans who have heard only one album?

Face it, Rush aren't the worlds biggest band, and my god its so much better that way.

Aslong as they are collecting enough money and enjoying it enough that they will keep touring and releasing albums, we should consider ourselves lucky. 653.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 8 2007, 12:56 PM)

1022.gif

Personally I don't get it. I would think a brilliant album like this would get huge ratings, airplay and sales, but kids today just don't give a shit I guess.

Also, I've talked to a lot of people about Rush who were at one point fans. Most of them are shocked to know they're still around and that they put out a new album. Most of them lost track of them somewhere in the mid-late 80's or so or early 90's either because they stopped hearing/seeing them or they didn't like the direction they were going in at the time.

I was saying that for people that were already fans, I think that rush taking so long off between albums is not helping things. But they need to do what's best for them at their age.

As far as kids these days, most of them aren't into classic rock. Although this album is up-to-date for Rush, it's not really anything like what most kids listen to these days. They either like rap, or listen to stuff with a harder edge to it. Rush is still playing regular old rock music and we all know that's just not the mainstream anymore.

As good as S&A may be, it's only viewed that way by the hardcore fans, and there's just not enough of us left willing to buy their music. I'm convinced that some of the people attending their shows these days don't even own the album. I was at the PNC show and most of the people that I could see in section 303 sat through most of the 2nd set of S&A song, and they all got up when Subdivisions came on. There was people booing during Larger Bowl.

So even though I think it's a good album, there's obviously only about 250k people that think that. That's not a lot of people at all when you have modern bands that sell 4 times as much as that in 1 week.

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 8 2007, 10:06 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 8 2007, 12:56 PM)

1022.gif

I was saying that for people that were already fans, I think that rush taking so long off between albums is not helping things. But they need to do what's best for them at their age.

As far as kids these days, most of them aren't into classic rock. Although this album is up-to-date for Rush, it's not really anything like what most kids listen to these days. They either like rap, or listen to stuff with a harder edge to it. Rush is still playing regular old rock music and we all know that's just not the mainstream anymore.

As good as S&A may be, it's only viewed that way by the hardcore fans, and there's just not enough of us left willing to buy their music. I'm convinced that some of the people attending their shows these days don't even own the album. I was at the PNC show and most of the people that I could see in section 303 sat through most of the 2nd set of S&A song, and they all got up when Subdivisions came on. There was people booing during Larger Bowl.

So even though I think it's a good album, there's obviously only about 250k people that think that. That's not a lot of people at all when you have modern bands that sell 4 times as much as that in 1 week.

I think older bands not selling a lot of records is, unfortunately, the nature of the beast. Rush has their dedicated fanbase and that's all they really need. They had their turn on top of the mountain. I'd be interested to see of the bands selling a ton of records today will still be making new music in 30 years from now. I doubt it. Rush is special for that reason.

the record is getting very good airplay..far cry is easily rushs biggest radio hit since dreamline or even back to time stand still..it has been in the top 10 of media base for 19 weeks..also having a record in the top 200 for 14 weeks is great imo..both VT and s@a will eventually go gold...will they go platinum.probably not but they would probably have to sell out to go platinum..and write songs like hinders homecoming queen or nickelback or worse michael buble or avril laverne..cute as she is

I could be way off here, but I think if they put out a slightly shorter version of THE MAIN MONKEY BUSINESS on the air, it would catch on. People would go, "What's this? That's cool to drive to! What? It's RUSH? No! They're still around? I'm going to have to check that CD out." biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Pwrgirl35 @ Aug 9 2007, 11:41 AM)
It would be rare, but you never know...it worked for the Edgar Winter Group.

30 yrs ago, Now only heard on "classic" rock stations.

If it lasts one more week on the chart, it will match Test For Echo's chart run. I think this album has suffered from not enough airplay. Far Cry peaked at No.22 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart while VT's One Little Victory got up to No.10 on the same chart. Taking 5 years to release an album can be a double-edged sword. On one hand, waiting that long can result in demand building up and that has given the likes of Tool, Ozzy Osbourne and Slayer big sales in their first week. On the other hand, interest in a band can dwindle a lot resulting in mediocre sales when a new album is released. It is important for a band to stay in the public eye by touring, releasing live albums/compilations or DVDs in between new studio albums.

The fact that the album came out the 1st of May and is still charting in August is pretty good considering that if it ain't hip hop, it ain't hip.

And if the quality of the recording had anything to do with sales, it is my opinion that this would be the best selling record for Rush since G/P. The more I hear it the better it sounds. 1022.gif

Does anyone know, is there a similar tracking system for tour ticket sales? How does the S&A 2007 tour stack up vs. other shows this summer?

I think that's possibly a better indication of RUSH's popularity (investment ~$100) than CD sales. Also, CD sales does not account for downloading, copying & sharing of individual tracks which I think is common for an older band vs. a newer act.

QUOTE (BuckeyeJohnny @ Aug 9 2007, 01:02 PM)
Does anyone know, is there a similar tracking system for tour ticket sales? How does the S&A 2007 tour stack up vs. other shows this summer?

I think that's possibly a better indication of RUSH's popularity (investment ~$100) than CD sales. Also, CD sales does not account for downloading, copying & sharing of individual tracks which I think is common for an older band vs. a newer act.

Those are Boxscores. Here are some recent ones for the current tour:

20th Jul River Amphitheatre, Auburn, WA 13,689/15,552 $638,462

21st July Amphitheater In Clark County, Ridgefield, WA 10,986/13,188 $581,898

23rd Jul Hollywood Bowl, Hollywood, CA 14,696/17,563 $1,074,586

25th Jul Wireless Amphitheater, Irvine, CA 10,347/11,563 $682,819

QUOTE (By-Tor's Best Buddy @ Aug 9 2007, 11:12 AM)
QUOTE (BuckeyeJohnny @ Aug 9 2007, 01:02 PM)
Does anyone know, is there a similar tracking system for tour ticket sales?  How does the S&A 2007 tour stack up vs. other shows this summer?

I think that's possibly a better indication of RUSH's popularity (investment ~$100) than CD sales.  Also, CD sales does not account for downloading, copying & sharing of individual tracks which I think is common for an older band vs. a newer act.

Those are Boxscores. Here are some recent ones for the current tour:

20th Jul River Amphitheatre, Auburn, WA 13,689/15,552 $638,462

21st July Amphitheater In Clark County, Ridgefield, WA 10,986/13,188 $581,898

23rd Jul Hollywood Bowl, Hollywood, CA 14,696/17,563 $1,074,586

25th Jul Wireless Amphitheater, Irvine, CA 10,347/11,563 $682,819

wow those are great numbers. I would say the boys are doing just fine.

Archived