Exit... Stage Left

yyz2112kings74

Ok... Exit.. Stage Left

the moving pictures tour.... Red Barchetta is SWEET!

My favorite live album Xanadu is AMAZING!!! And the YYZ drum solo awesome and the LA VILLA intro when i first heard that... thats the very moment i fell in love with Alex Lifeson

and the DVD for Exit is way sweet too!!

next is not so much my favorite live BUT STILL GOOD

guess what world... If God was all knowing and all powerful and the stupid pop and chart punks of today( and r stones,acdc ect) were to ask him what the best record was of all time.. With tears in my eyes I say ESL, what an unbelievible piece of musicial work

ESL is their best live release IMO. The only thing better was actually seeing MP live. Simply the best performance I've ever seen. I wore out one 8track of ESL, (and the 8track player), then two cassettes of ESL,(the cass player fared better) in about two years time. Those were the days.

My favourite live album for sure .... i'm playing it right now on my iPod and it's amazing, i can hear sooooo much more than i used to on the album/disc.

Surely they have some more live footage stashed away that they're not revealing ? I really wanna see The camera eye played LIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMMITT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not that i hate any new live albums like rush in rio.....i just think its more magical to listen to them back in the day

mixed bag on this one....Exit Stage Left, on a personal scale, is definately my favourite Rush live release. It sounds perfect..but thats just the issue! it doesnt sound very "live" at all..theres no energy too it...the boys commented on the fact that they realy went overboard in-studio during the mixing processs...there are a few overdubs here and there as well, and cutting/splicing different performances.

with that said though, Xanadu, Freewill, Jacobs Ladder, Closer to the Heart and La Villa are breathtaking.

one complaint is the guitar sound is kinda iffy--you gotta love Lerxst's early 80's Marshall with chorus sound, but they softened it too much and is too quiet... for me I'd say the best SOUNDING one was All the World's a stage. completely raw, and sounds natural..thats how it should be. I prefer almost all the songs from ATWAS compared to the studio versions!

My friend and I were recently talking about the merits of E...SL, agreeing that the definitive version of "The Spirit of Radio" was on it.

And then we started to realize, shit...pretty much every song on E...SL is the "definitive version" of said song, at least for us.

Starting a Rush collection with E...SL (as we did -- it was my friend's first Rush album, and my third) can almost spoil a fan. Because when I heard the studio versions of many of those songs, they just weren't as good in a lot of cases. This was also what happened after I got into ASOH.

Rush just tends to sound better live. And this extended to S&A when I saw the new songs in Irvine a few nights ago.

QUOTE (maxdistortion @ Jul 27 2007, 01:35 PM)

one complaint is the guitar sound is kinda iffy--you gotta love Lerxst's early 80's Marshall with chorus sound, but they softened it too much and is too quiet...

That's pretty much how it sounded live I'm afraid. We were all saying how Al was too low after the show.

I sadly can't share your good feelings about it. It's probably tied with Feedback as my all-time least-listened-to Rush disc. With the exception of the Jacob's Ladder intro, NONE of it sounds one iota different from the studio versions of the songs. The crowd noise sounds fake, and the fade-ins are annoying. Plus, they went back and overdubbed over mistakes, which is just wrong in my eyes for a live album.

For those of you with Dimeadozen accounts, there's a new remastered version of the Chicago 1981 boot up, and that kicks the shit out of this any day of the week.

"Broon's Bane" is nice.

All the World's a Stage is the only Rush live album I listen to with any regularity.

I love the song selection on Exit...Stage Left, but like PuppetKing2112 points out, the studio versions are superior.

I remember the first time I heard ESL was on May 11, 1990 when the now long, defunct rock radio station in the Worcester, MA area called WCGY played the whole double disc on vinyl (I only managed to get YYZ to Freewill as tape ran out). When I heard YYZ Live with Neil's solo, I was convinced Rush were a superb band. The versions of Bangkok, Jacob's Ladder, Xanadu and La Villa are among their best.

Then on July 14, 1990, I got my first cassette copy and wore it out. The first CD issue (which I had) was a ripoff missing "Bangkok" from the track listing as CDs at the time supposedly could store so much (they hold up to 80 minutes). Once the album was re-released as a remastered CD in July of 1997, ESL sounded WHOLE AGAIN!

Dude, if you really want the whole E...SL experience, make it a double CD-R set and add on "Vital Signs" (the live B-side to "New World Man") and "Limelight" from the Best Buy version of the Grace Under Pressure Live disc from the Rush Replay x 3 set.

QUOTE (Red Sector J @ Jul 27 2007, 06:49 PM)
Dude, if you really want the whole E...SL experience, make it a double CD-R set and add on "Vital Signs" (the live B-side to "New World Man") and "Limelight" from the Best Buy version of the Grace Under Pressure Live disc from the Rush Replay x 3 set.

No, if you want the REAL ESL experience, get either the Chicago or Anaheim boots from the Moving Pictures tour.

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Jul 27 2007, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (maxdistortion @ Jul 27 2007, 01:35 PM)

one complaint is the guitar sound is kinda iffy--you gotta love Lerxst's early 80's Marshall with chorus sound, but they softened it too much and is too quiet...

That's pretty much how it sounded live I'm afraid. We were all saying how Al was too low after the show.

I agree, WAAAY too low! I saw Rush in December '81, and I recall that the live sound was just like the ESL mix, and to this day I have no idea what the heck they were thinking. Come to think of it, they maintained a similarly muddy sound with the guitars buried on the Signals album as well.

I just don't think they ever got the mix right. I have it on vinyl, and it sounds way too muddy. And I have the remastered CD, and it sounds so perfect that it doesn't even sound like a live recording anymore. It's like they fixed it too much, and I can't enjoy it at all.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 28 2007, 12:21 PM)
I just don't think they ever got the mix right. I have it on vinyl, and it sounds way too muddy. And I have the remastered CD, and it sounds so perfect that it doesn't even sound like a live recording anymore. It's like they fixed it too much, and I can't enjoy it at all.

You do know that TONS of live albums are "fixed" right?

Archived