The Matrix Franchise

deadwing2112

Kinda for no reason I decided to go through and watch all The Matrix's and The Animatrix. I liked it. Very thoughtful. My only disapointment was the ending of The Matrix Revolutions. That could have been so much better. Especially when Neo finally arrives in The Machine City. The Animatrix was great also. I've barely watched Anime but this one I enjoyed a lot. Anyone else fans of this franchise?

The first one was good but the sequels sucked.

The first one was interesting and kept me watching. I just don't like those computer controlled fantasy fight scenes that veer from slow motion to time-lapse photography. And where the combatants leap thirty feet in the air in a way that defies the laws of physics, in fact it appears as if they've been yanked along on a wire. I can't take a fight seriously if it's not in real time and kicks and blows don't look like they're doing any damage, which after all is their purpose. And I dwell on the fight scenes because this seemed to be the crux of the whole power of "The One", simply the ability to kick ass. This was an aspect I was disapointed with in itself. In they end "the one" was just a guy who could beat people up at light speed...

And yes Jack the sequels are crap...

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 31 2007, 01:14 PM)

Very much so. The sequels had so much potential and ended up being a complete goat screw. I really think they had no idea where to go after the original.

However, if they did a re-edit of the sequels where that annoying bastard kid that wets himself over Neo somehow managed to kill Jar-Jar Binks...that would have some redeeming qualities....but only if they in turn killed that annoying bastard kid.

Just a thought.

couldnt get into any of the movies confused13.gif

never watched any all the way threw ph34r.gif

they just dont "do it" for me laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 31 2007, 11:14 AM)

The 2nd two were enjoyable and had some redeeming qualities, but they were a mere shadow of the masterpiece that the first one was.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 31 2007, 03:16 PM)

The 2nd two were enjoyable and had some redeeming qualities, but they were a mere shadow of the masterpiece that the first one was.

No, they sucked. Tell me you didn't want to punch the Merovingian in the mouth.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 31 2007, 01:16 PM)

Sequels? What sequels? Those two movies are dead to me. I thought the ending to the Matrix was brilliant. They should have stopped and left it at that.

The first one was interesting and kept me watching. I just don't like those computer controlled fantasy fight scenes that veer from slow motion to time-lapse photography. And where the combatants leap thirty feet in the air in a way that defies the laws of physics, in fact it appears as if they've been yanked along on a wire. I can't take a fight seriously if it's not in real time and kicks and blows don't look like they're doing any damage, which after all is their purpose. And I dwell on the fight scenes because this seemed to be the crux of the whole power of "The One", simply the ability to kick ass. This was an aspect I was disapointed with in itself. In they end "the one" was just a guy who could beat people up at light speed...

And yes Jack the sequels are crap...

I agree, the fight scenes were pretty stupid. I don't get the big deal about them. "The One" could have been a much more significant savior-figure, rather than just a stupid Superman. Still, I liked it.

It's funny, I was just watching it this morning... Odd how things happen like that, eh?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 31 2007, 02:16 PM)

I'm surprised a guy like you Goober, who often claims to distest stylised violence - which is the main thrust of this film, and is the philosophy of the main characters - lavishes praise on the Matrix series like this. For instance, why is this kind of film on a higher level than something like Tarantino's Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs, two of the films you disparage? It seems to me fans of one film are very often fans of the other so to make out there's a huge artistic gulf between them one way or the other seems bogus. Although for me Tarantino's films are superior, though not hugely so.

The only thing I can think of is that the violence in the Matrix is so impossible and unrealistic that you don't think of it as violence at all, but some kind of cartoonish dance routine with kicks and punches, the consequences of which don't include getting cut, bruised and injured in the normal way as it would in the real world.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 31 2007, 12:19 PM)

Admittedly, the Merovingian storyline was not a high point. Way too many characters, too muddled and complicated, etc. no.gif

I more admired the highly choreographed action/fight scenes and some other aspects of the 2nd two. I often don't get into action/fight scenes, but in science-fiction (which I love to death anyway) when they're done that well and creatively like the tons of Smiths scene in the courtyard, I can't help but be awed.

Yes, they're not great movies by any means, I'm just saying I didn't think they were completely awful either. There were some very cool scenes and it was interesting eye candy, if a lame way to end the story of the first movie.

I'd give the first movie a 10, the 2nd and 3rd maybe a 5.

they all sucked tongue.gif

I thought the trilogy could have been saved if they were more comedically orientated.......i.e. more gags, more slapstick etc.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 1 2007, 05:43 AM)
QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ May 31 2007, 03:20 PM)
they all sucked  tongue.gif

Yeah, pretty much Donna, and having Keanu's "acting skills" on display didn't help matters...

laugh.gif

I tried to watch the first one twice but fell asleep both times. I watched the 2nd one in an IMAX theater just to see the gorgeousness of the special effects BUT I still fell asleep. That's how interested I am in this franchise. However, I did think the Animatrix was entertaining.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ May 31 2007, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 31 2007, 02:14 PM)

Pretty much sums it up for me.

I did think the first one was great though. And I never watched the Animatrix.

Yep, the first one was a real mind-f**k and the sequels were just awful. I really thought they were going to go in a different direction.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 31 2007, 02:19 PM)

I agree with Goobs. But I also agree with J.A. on punvhing the Merovingian on the mouth. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Snowman @ Jun 1 2007, 04:38 AM)
But I also agree with J.A. on punvhing the Merovingian on the mouth. laugh.gif

You know WHY he should be punched in the mouth?

I'll admit there are many reasons but screwing around on Persephone has gotta take the cake.

*POW*

QUOTE (Snowman @ Jun 1 2007, 08:17 AM)
smile.gif You just gotta love the scene when the Merovingian "programs" the dessert to the blonde lady! laugh.gif

Yeah I liked that part too but...

If he had any sense of decency (or if I were in his shoes) he would have fed Persephone the cake and have her disappear under the table for a bit.

biggrin.gif