"Faithless" a triumph?

faultline

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 21 2007, 10:15 AM)
QUOTE (hope70 @ May 21 2007, 11:12 AM)
QUOTE (Gerxt @ May 21 2007, 09:53 AM)
Same. But that might be a bit over the top for most listeners.

No lets get this straight. To most people the initial post is bizzare in the extreme. Most people totally agree with Neil's point of view.

You should note that the religious radicals that are described in TWTWB include you. You no doubt don't see it that way but the majority of this world do. Tell me you didn't vote for GWB and his Iraq war?

Most people on TRF do agree with what Neil says.

I don't know. There's alot going on in the world, and I see Neil's point of view but the "I don't have faith in faith..." could have been worded differently. Not to make the ones who are religious happy, but just from a neutral standpoint.

Why? Neil has every right to express his personal feelings just like the rest of us do.

I respect his opinion. There's no connection with me and that song though, and it's only because of the lyrics.

Whatever. Se La Vi

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 21 2007, 11:24 AM)

No lets get this straight. To most people the initial post is bizzare in the extreme. Most people totally agree with Neil's point of view.

You should note that the religious radicals that are described in TWTWB include you. You no doubt don't see it that way but the majority of this world do. Tell me you didn't vote for GWB and his Iraq war?

I don't know. There's alot going on in the world, and I see Neil's point of view but the "I don't have faith in faith..." could have been worded differently. Not to make the ones who are religious happy, but just from a neutral standpoint.

Why? Neil has every right to express his personal feelings just like the rest of us do.

I respect his opinion. There's no connection with me and that song though, and it's only because of the lyrics.

Whatever. Se La Vi

If you respect his opinion then you shouldn't be disrespectul by suggesting he change his words just because you don't like them.

I would never suggest changing the words to Amazing Grace or to Blind Faith's Presence of the Lord, or to U2's many songs which bear Christian-related themes....they are songs that are fine the way they are despite the fact that I'm not religious at all.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 21 2007, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (hope70 @ May 21 2007, 11:24 AM)

Whatever. Se La Vi

If you respect his opinion then you shouldn't be disrespectul by suggesting he change his words just because you don't like them.

I would never suggest changing the words to Amazing Grace or to Blind Faith's Presence of the Lord, or to U2's many songs which bear Christian-related themes....they are songs that are fine the way they are despite the fact that I'm not religious at all.

I guess I just want to like the song real bad, but a few of the lines are in between me and the music.

QUOTE (Gerxt @ May 21 2007, 10:53 AM)

you obviously don't know Kudzu laugh.gif

I really like the re-written lyrics for the simple fact that I do have faith.

I love the music of Faithless and vocals but I do get hung up with the lyrics a little bit. But who wouldn't if it doesn't jive with what you believe or feel.

So I think those lyrics were actually pretty cool.

The album as a whole is awesome!!! trink39.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (natalie @ May 21 2007, 10:51 AM)
I really like the re-written lyrics for the simple fact that I do have faith.

I love the music of Faithless and vocals but I do get hung up with the lyrics a little bit. But who wouldn't if it doesn't jive with what you believe or feel.
So I think those lyrics were actually pretty cool.

The album as a whole is awesome!!! trink39.gif 1022.gif

So you think the lyrics are pretty cool even though you have faith and like the rewritten lyrics? unsure.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ May 21 2007, 04:42 AM)
I liked this song better when it was called Resist.

Faithless eats Resist for breakfast and then shits it out near the fencing in the backyard.

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 21 2007, 08:27 AM)
I wish the faithless lyrics were different lyrics, because I really like the music.

do you have the same opinion of Freewill, Roll the Bones, Ghost of a Chance and Stars Look Down?

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 21 2007, 10:33 AM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 21 2007, 02:02 PM)
I wish the faithless lyrics were different lyrics, because I really like the music.

do you have the same opinion of Freewill, Roll the Bones, Ghost of a Chance and Stars Look Down?

I don't want to get too deep into this as we have exhausted this on others threads and people are sick of it all. I believe, and but I also think we shape our own lives. I don't believe that we are puppets if this is what is meant by some, but when we help ourselves and make things happen, this is life and it's exciting. Kind of like rolling the bones.

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 21 2007, 01:32 PM)

I don't want to get too deep into this as we have exhausted this on others threads and people are sick of it all. I believe, and but I also think we shape our own lives. I don't believe that we are puppets if this is what is meant by some, but when we help ourselves and make things happen, this is life and it's exciting. Kind of like rolling the bones.

you answer doesn't make sense. Is that a yes or a no?

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 21 2007, 05:44 PM)

its a yes.

I was just tryng to say that even if you do believe, you still need to get out there and work for the things you believe in and not just pray for them.

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 21 2007, 05:03 PM)

its a yes.

I was just tryng to say that even if you do believe, you still need to get out there and work for the things you believe in and not just pray for them.

Thanks. At least you are honest and dislike the lyrics to those other songs too.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 21 2007, 06:05 PM)
QUOTE (hope70 @ May 21 2007, 05:03 PM)

its a yes.

Thanks. At least you are honest and dislike the lyrics to those other songs too.

i never said that, you just did. I know what your leaning towards, but I take alot of the lyrics I read in the other tunes as a little easier to digest. More a little bit with taking chances and creating your luck. have a good night dude.

I'm off to work for a day. cool.gif

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ May 21 2007, 10:26 AM)
I wouldn't go as far as to call it a "triumph," but it's an alright song.

I dont mean the song "Faithless" as a triumph, but being "faithless" as a triumph, as opposed to having a "Faith".

In this song, Neil makes it sound like being faithless is some sort of triumph. I am not so sure, sometimes being faithless is choosing the path of least resistance......as is Faith sometimes.

Interestingly enough, I recently rewrote the lyrics to Limelight, as I believe this is really what Neil believes

Living on a lighted stage

approaches my dream come true

for I can truly see

and get in touch with all my fans

and all their adoring smiles

Cast in this wonderful role

In a perfect place to act

with perfectly sufficient tact

One must put down their barriers

so fans can see ones real self

Living in the limelight

the universal dream

so I can meet my fans

those who wish to meet me

must put aside their shyness

put aside their inhibitions

Get on with the backstage pass

The Polaroid camera

the underlying meet and greet

Living in a world with fans

caught with a wink in the eye

I have no heart to lie

I cant resist a stranger

when he could become a lifelong friend

All the world's indeed my stage

And I indeed love it here

Women and Men

Children and Dogs

Each another potential friend

to enter my public world

What do you think? This is my interpretation of what Neil could have meant when he wrote Limelight

FAITHLESS

I'm listening to this song right now. There is something about this song that hits a personal chord. The lyrics? The music? Both?

Musically...

This song has a cool hook in the middle. A beautiful long-stretching landscape that blends so many sounds it's hard to take it all in. INCREDIBLE stuff! Amazing! It's hard to put into words how I feel about the music of this song. Rich...lush...thick...full...heartfelt...off tempo beats all over the place. Literally, it's hard to not dance to this song! As goofy as this may sound, I just want to spread out my arms when I hear that middle part.

Lyrically...

This is obviously controversial ....and brave. Think about it. These guys know that there is a strong conservative strong-hold here in America. And here they are singing about being, "Faithless!" WOW! Even in Canada. There is a strong religious feeling there. And here they are singing this controversial lyric...

"I will quietly resist..I will quietly resist. I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief. You can call me faithless...you can call me faithless."

Let me expand a bit on what I feel Neil Peart is trying to say here.

Isn't he questioning whether others are calling him on if he has "religious faith" or not? I could be reading WAY too much into this, ok. But maybe his definition of faith is something deeper? Something not so easily defined? Maybe his definition of faith is something so personal it's hard to put into words. That's the way it is for me, anyway. God is beyond what I can put into words. He means too much to me. No amount of "shouting voices" equate how I feel spiritually.

Neil's lyrics are really a interesting point of view that I connect to, and frankly, I can't tell you why. It's pretty deep. I can't be the only one who understands this song. The song is simply beautiful. Honest, simple, and truthful. Wow. Maybe it's his shout out to all the posers? The people who FORCE a faith on someone else. He's kind of saying, "Leave me alone." To each his own. I admire his directness in this song! His passionate argument to those who question his beliefs.

"I believe in hope, and I believe in love. And that's faith enough for me."

And the ending!!! Alex's extended lick stretching out...complimenting the stretch this song makes as a whole, both musically and lyrically.

I'm completely HOOKED!

Bravest Face:

Someone asked me about this song not long ago. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply...if you see this.

Lovely lyrics! Kind of a commentary about what he's seeing OUTSIDE of HIS situation. Quick and smart! Yet really acoustically funky. I like it a lot, but still discovering it fully. But initially, I think its an an acoustic funk. Very different for RUSH, imo. And whoa! The cool rock-funk feel to it. Kind of a sleeper hit for me. Cool;)

"In the smoothest ride there is a squeaky wheel."

1022.gif

QUOTE (Pwrgirl35 @ May 22 2007, 01:59 AM)
Maybe it's his shout out to all the posers? The people who FORCE a faith on someone else. He's kind of saying, "Leave me alone." To each his own. I admire his directness in this song! His passionate argument to those who question his beliefs.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Pwrgirl35 @ May 22 2007, 01:59 AM)

Lyrically...

This is obviously controversial ....and brave. Think about it. These guys know that there is a strong conservative strong-hold here in America. And here they are singing about being, "Faithless!" WOW! Even in Canada. There is a strong religious feeling there. And here they are singing this controversial lyric...

"I will quietly resist..I will quietly resist. I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief. You can call me faithless...you can call me faithless."

When I asked "A triumph?" this is what I meant.

You obviously believe that it is, and that it is brave.

When I rewrote the song to "Faith", I wasnt saying that "This is the way I wish the song was".

In the christain community I have heard way too many songs that come off as " Look at me, I am so great, I have such strong faith , look how good, daring, and brave I am"

It is a big "So what""

When I changed the words of Faithless" to "Faith" , I thought it would come across as "So what"

I did that because I was trying to convey that I see "Faithless" that way.

I think that the culteral tides are much stonger against having Faith, than not having Faith. Gravity goes with unbelief in my opinion. That is why I dont think this song is so brave. Instead it is like a dog that snaps at you when you walk by for no reason.

I hope I am not sounding too bittter, I still like , and am inspired by Neils lyrics. Bravest Face, The Larger Bowl , and Spindrift are all very honest about the world and shows a lot of obvious concern and compassion for it, and since Neil is faithless, I find that extremely admirable.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 21 2007, 11:10 PM)
Interestingly enough, I recently rewrote the lyrics to Limelight, as I believe this is really what Neil believes

Living on a lighted stage
approaches my dream come true
for I can truly see
and get in touch with all my fans
and all their adoring smiles

Cast in this wonderful role
In a perfect place to act
with perfectly sufficient tact
One must put down their barriers
so fans can see ones real self

Living in the limelight
the universal dream
so I can meet my fans

those who wish to meet me
must put aside their shyness
put aside their inhibitions
Get on with the backstage pass
The Polaroid camera
the underlying meet and greet

Living in a world with fans
caught with a wink in the eye
I have no heart to lie
I cant resist a stranger
when he could become a lifelong friend

All the world's indeed my stage
And I indeed love it here
Women and Men
Children and Dogs
Each another potential friend
to enter my public world

What do you think? This is my interpretation of what Neil could have meant when he wrote Limelight

i can't read part the 1st stanza cuse i'm laughing MFAO z7shysterical.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Pwrgirl35 @ May 22 2007, 02:17 AM)
Bravest Face:

Someone asked me about this song not long ago. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply...if you see this.

Lovely lyrics! Kind of a commentary about what he's seeing OUTSIDE of HIS situation. Quick and smart! Yet really acoustically funky. I like it a lot, but still discovering it fully. But initially, I think its an an acoustic funk. Very different for RUSH, imo. And whoa! The cool rock-funk feel to it. Kind of a sleeper hit for me. Cool;)

"In the smoothest ride there is a squeaky wheel."

1022.gif

I love that funky aspect, too. yes.gif

And re: Faithless...I think you're right about the lyrics. Personally, I think that having faith in "faith" itself is different than having faith in a higher power. I know plenty of people who are at church every time the door opens, and have faith in "faith" - but who don't live it.

I take a great deal of satisfaction in the lyrics to this song as I, myself look at it as the answer the question "what do you believe in?". yes, there are many ways to interpret it, but it hits home for me as i've been asked if im not religious then what do i believe in? And i applaud Neil for this. Not everyone needs Religion, God, and all that to get by in life.

For me, if you look at it....if you have morals, ethics, hope, believe in love, are a good person, dont kill, dont steal..... etc, what left is there to learn from the bible? the bible to me.....is just that. kind of the most known self-help book.

Archived