Rate Snakes & Arrows 1-10

PariahDog

How do you rate S&A from 1-10 (terrible-excellent)?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate S&A from 1-10 (terrible-excellent)?

Its really boring. It lacks power that the other Rush cd's have. Its not that heavy at all, and more accoustic. I hope Nick R. was wrong when he said he pushed the band to their limits, because this cd was not much at all. Even the intrumentals were fairly boring.

Don't get me wrong, Rush doesn't make bad albums, its just that barring Far Cry and the second half of TMMB, most of it was not very interesting. I think it holds some potential, but i was hoping for something more.

The lyrics are great like always, but the songs don't hold too much emotion because you need to add something more to the lyrics. The lyrics were standing alone on this one.

Although they are my favorite band, they were outdone by Circus Maximus and Porcupine Tree as far as prog releases go.

6/10.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give S&A a 7... 9 for the music, 4 for the lyrics, so a compromise at 7.

Just for S&G:

Rush - 5 (Solid, all things considered)

Fly by Night -7

Caress of Steel - 4

2112 - 10 (a classic)

A Farewell to Kings - 9

Hemispheres - 9

Permanent Waves - 9

Moving Pictures - 10 (can you give it anything else?)

Signals - 4

Grace Under Pressure - 6

Power Windows - 6

Hold Your Fire - 9 (what can I say - it grew on me over the years)

Presto - 6

Roll the Bones - 8

Counterparts - 10 (the band doesn't like it, but IMHO some of their best work)

Test for Echo - 3

Vapor Trails - 2 (remaster it!)

Snakes & Arrows - 7

QUOTE (JustMe74 @ May 4 2007, 01:41 AM)

Just for S&G:

Fly by Night -7
Caress of Steel - 4
2112 - 10 (a classic)
A Farewell to Kings - 9
Hemispheres - 9
Permanent Waves - 9
Signals - 4
Grace Under Pressure - 6
Power Windows - 6
Presto - 6
Roll the Bones - 8
Test for Echo - 3
Snakes & Arrows - 7

A 4 for the lyrics??? Do you not understand them or what??? wtf.gif

QUOTE (kooma @ May 4 2007, 02:29 AM)
QUOTE (JustMe74 @ May 4 2007, 01:41 AM)

Just for S&G:

Fly by Night -7
Caress of Steel - 4
2112 - 10 (a classic)
A Farewell to Kings - 9
Hemispheres - 9
Permanent Waves - 9
Signals - 4
Grace Under Pressure - 6
Power Windows - 6
Presto - 6
Roll the Bones - 8
Test for Echo - 3
Snakes & Arrows - 7

A 4 for the lyrics??? Do you not understand them or what??? wtf.gif

I am sure I understand them at least as well as you.

However, if you take a song like Way the Wind Blows, it's a pretty gross oversimplification of some complex issues, and even goes as far as equating fundamentalists in the USA with fundamentalists in the Middle East. There are plenty of examples, and if you want to have a discussion instead of insulting me, we can have one.

I prefer less poltics & religion in my Rush. Neil is a smart guy, but this was a little much for me, to the point where it detracts from the album overall.

At the moment I'd say 5, but a week or so ago I wouldn't have given it more than 2-3.

When they get it right, its absolutely amazing (Armour and Sword is a bona fide masterpiece IMO), but there is far too much filler material, and some of it is downright awful.

Here's hoping though. It's a definite "grower", so quite possibly will merit an improved rating. I've only listened to it about 3-4 times in it's entirety, so plenty time yet.

QUOTE (swisstpa @ May 3 2007, 10:22 AM)
It's a 1

I hate this CD!

Geddy's vocals are almost unlistenable and the songs are plodding and drab. I find the lyrical content offensive and Alex's guitar playing is extremely unimaginative. I have been a Rush fan from the first Album, and have loved the constant evolution of the band. There is nothing new here.

Is this is the best they could come up with after 5 years? I am sorry, but it is time for them to retire. You can't be apart for several years and then get together and force out a dozen quality songs for a CD in one sitting. The chemistry is gone!

I am actually feeling that the fans are now being used by the band. During Neil's sabbatical, he came to realize that he did not have enough money to retire and Alex has been blowing tons of money on lawyers. Since then we have been subjected to numerous Live CDs, a pathetic money grab from the awful Feedback CD and now this piece of garbage!

They issued Replay X3 and then shortly thereafter re-issued the same DVDs individually. Now they are going to try to get us twice on this album by waiting a month and then issuing the DVD/MVI version of the album. Why not issue the two versions at the same time? Do you not see it - they believe we are all drinking their Kool-Aid and will buy whatever crap they turn out - even multiple times.

I never thought I'd say it but it's the end of an era - I'm not buying anymore!

Thank goodness your type of opinions are in the extreme, extreme minority

I give it an 8 - it's sad to see how many people don't enjoy this album as much as I do. I wish I could make them hear what I hear, but hey, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 4 2007, 11:36 AM)
It's a 1

I hate this CD! 

Geddy's vocals are almost unlistenable and the songs are plodding and drab. I find the lyrical content offensive and Alex's guitar playing is extremely unimaginative. I have been a Rush fan from the first Album, and have loved the constant evolution of the band. There is nothing new here.

Is this is the best they could come up with after 5 years? I am sorry, but it is time for them to retire. You can't be apart for several years and then get together and force out a dozen quality songs for a CD in one sitting. The chemistry is gone!

I am actually feeling that the fans are now being used by the band. During Neil's sabbatical, he came to realize that he did not have enough money to retire and Alex has been blowing tons of money on lawyers. Since then we have been subjected to numerous Live CDs, a pathetic money grab from the awful Feedback CD and now this piece of garbage!

They issued Replay X3 and then shortly thereafter re-issued the same DVDs individually. Now they are going to try to get us twice on this album by waiting a month and then issuing the DVD/MVI version of the album. Why not issue the two versions at the same time? Do you not see it - they believe we are all drinking their Kool-Aid and will buy whatever crap they turn out - even multiple times.

Extreme, extreme minority? That's hard to say.

The poll is horribly skewed simply because its on a rabid Rush fan site.

Its like polling only pro-life conservatives on overturning Roe V Wade. It will be 95% in favor.

Even the people who don't like it at all, want to very badly. Its there favorite band.

No radio play and modest sales will again put it in perspective. We love Rush, most don't. We're the weird ones. wink.gif I'm a little less weird than I usually am on this album I suppose.

QUOTE (JustMe74 @ May 4 2007, 01:43 AM)
However, if you take a song like Way the Wind Blows, it's a pretty gross oversimplification of some complex issues, and even goes as far as equating fundamentalists in the USA with fundamentalists in the Middle East.

You have totally misinterpreted his lyrics.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 4 2007, 01:35 PM)
However, if you take a song like Way the Wind Blows, it's a pretty gross oversimplification of some complex issues, and even goes as far as equating fundamentalists in the USA with fundamentalists in the Middle East.

How so?

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 4 2007, 01:35 PM)

According to what? You?

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (JustMe74 @ May 4 2007, 02:43 AM)
I prefer less poltics & religion in my Rush.  Neil is a smart guy, but this was a little much for me, to the point where it detracts from the album overall.

Would you rather have him go back to writing about red Barchettas and Middle Earth? I can see where you're coming from, but I think it's great that Neil is pushing the envelope a bit with these lyrics.

If you look around the world, these are some pretty crazy times: hundreds of thousands of demonstrators protesting in Turkey against a possible Islamist government, medical research in the USA being held up by a debate over stem cells, etc.

I think Neil's lyrics just reflect the crazy world we live in. Regardless of whether you agree with him or not, I think it's great that Neil is trying to get people to THINK about some of these issues.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ May 4 2007, 10:24 AM)
It's a 1

I hate this CD! 

Its like polling only pro-life conservatives on overturning Roe V Wade. It will be 95% in favor.

Even the people who don't like it at all, want to very badly. Its there favorite band.

No radio play and modest sales will again put it in perspective. We love Rush, most don't. We're the weird ones. wink.gif I'm a little less weird than I usually am on this album I suppose.

You have a point. This is a RUSH FORUM, however I am reading a ton of mixed opinions on here. Not everyone is running through golden meadows, holding hands and skipping along to Rush music with big fat smiles on their faces. biggrin.gif

You have the right to your opinion and it seems you are not alone. So you really HATE this new Rush album?

Since you hate Geddy's voice on this new album I suppose you HATE "The Main Monkey Business," "Hope," and "Malignant Narcissism" as well. Geddy's vocals are terrible on those three tunes.

Sorry but uh, yeah a lot of us here are bias. We do have the passion for Rush and LOVE whatever they do.

Big deal. Go join a Bon Jovi Forum then.

What do you expect? That is why we are here.

The new album isn't perfect but I am tired of reading countless threads and posts based on flaws and how shitty this record is. The haters can "cut and run" for all I care.

Based on the new album the negatives are starting to outweigh the positives around here if you ask me.

So you have loved Rush since their first album and now you are going to throw in the towel?

That's too bad. I am sure this Forum and the members of Rush will carry on without you.

RUSH ON!

Oh yeah I will give "S&A" a 9.

Nothing in life is perfect..........................................

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 4 2007, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ May 4 2007, 10:24 AM)
It's a 1

I hate this CD! 

You have a point. This is a RUSH FORUM, however I am reading a ton of mixed opinions on here. Not everyone is running through golden meadows, holding hands and skipping along to Rush music with big fat smiles on their faces. biggrin.gif

You have the right to your opinion and it seems you are not alone. So you really HATE this new Rush album?

Since you hate Geddy's voice on this new album I suppose you HATE "The Main Monkey Business," "Hope," and "Malignant Narcissism" as well. Geddy's vocals are terrible on those three tunes.

Sorry but uh, yeah a lot of us here are bias. We do have the passion for Rush and LOVE whatever they do.

Big deal. Go join a Bon Jovi Forum then.

What do you expect? That is why we are here.

The new album isn't perfect but I am tired of reading countless threads and posts based on flaws and how shitty this record is. The haters can "cut and run" for all I care.

Based on the new album the negatives are starting to outweigh the positives around here if you ask me.

So you have loved Rush since their first album and now you are going to throw in the towel?

That's too bad. I am sure this Forum and the members of Rush will carry on without you.

RUSH ON!

Oh yeah I will give "S&A" a 9.

Nothing in life is perfect..........................................

Well, now wait a minute dude. You are attributing alot to me that I haven't said. I was just commenting on why the poll would be so positive and why the dissenters are probably not just an extreme, extreme minority. If you will notice, I was not the original poster.

For the record:

Geddy's voice sounds just fine to me.

Hope is great.

Malnar is great.

TMMB I like but less than I did initially. Its 3 main parts(which I like) repeated for 6 minutes. It seems they could only come up with 2-3 minute instrumentals this time. That's ok.

I share your bias. Maybe that's why I'm overly disappointed this time.

I don't like the lyrics, I've stated why elsewhere. Probably less to do with religion bashing as that is commonplace and pretty much rolls off my back anymore. More to do with the bitter, angry, depressing, crybaby approach that I don't relate to or find enjoyable to be inundated with when trying to listen to music.

I find the music pretty boring in most places this time. I'd explain why I think so, but you obviously aren't interested.

I'm glad you enjoy the album. trink39.gif

It's all good Obscure!

Thanks for explaining yourself. I would love to read your explaination on why you think the music is boring. Please go for it! I am interested!

I know you are a real Rush fan I just can't believe your take. Hey it's your opinion and I respect that it's just that I am one of the bias fans who fell in love with the record after just two listens.

Maybe it will grow on you, maybe it won't. When you say "I'm not buying anymore" what does that mean then? No more Rush concerts, no more swag, no more buying albums??

So when Rush does a S&A live dvd you will not buy it??

Dude!

I know you will be itching instead of ditching your passion for RUSH.

Let's say you!

Earl

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 4 2007, 11:35 AM)

No, he hasn't. But Neil is right, AFAIC.

I knew this board was going to be like this as soon as the album released......... No great prediction on my part. Happens everytime. But, as you can see, those who love the album far outweigh the naysayers, which is why the naysayers are trying to yell as loud as they can and celebrate how much they hate this record. Opinions are opinion, fine, but to flaunt your hate for this record is sad and pathetic.

Archived