Main Monkey Business better than La Villa

The Owl

What do you think. From previous threads around this forum the vast majority of TRF members prior to the S&A release stated that La Villa Strangiato as the best Rush instrumental (I which I'd agreed) . Now with the S&A release, I think La Villa just got bumped to #2.

OK here it is.....hmmm,hmmm

The Main Monkey Business is the best Rush instrumental song.

What do you all think?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I distinctly remember how I felt when I heard MONKEYBIZ for the very first time. At times I was smilling, and at times I had goosebumps. I froze solid. Let me offer that no other band has been able to move me like RUSH does, like I just described. The more time I spend in this forum, the more I know just how many feel a lot like I do. Its freakin great 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

I dindt understand a frecking thing the first time I heard it. But it has grown immensely on the last listenings! I think that it has some Sergio Leone signature theme on the part where Geddy is humming. Immensely cool. So far I rate it behind La Villa and YYZ.

"The Main Monkey Business" is probably the best track on the album, IMO.

It's a better instrumental than "Limbo" and the Things. As for it being better than "YYZ" and "La Villa," I'll only say that it's not better or worse, just different.

I like MalNar better than MainMonkeyBiz, even though MainMonkeyBiz lasts longer.

For me they are equal with YYZ and LaVilla. Every Rush instrumental have their moments, so to say that these are better than the earlier is something I wouldn't dare to do.

I like MalNar it is so different and just kicks some serious moon.gif

Heh, well so far MalNar is my favorite track on the album, but I'm pretty certain that won't last. LOL- it's not even a real song. But for some reason whenever I get to it I keep pressing "repeat". It's kind of disturbing, really.

At any rate, to answer OP, TMMB is a great instrumental, and better than most by any band I've heard. I think it approaches YYZ and LVS, but it is not quite there. LVS and YYZ rock just a little bit more.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say it's better than "La Villa Strangiato"... at least not yet. But the more I listen to it, the closer it gets. I definitely think it's going to lodge itself permanently as at least my #2 favorite Rush instrumental ever. I already like it way better than "YYZ" (which I like but have always found to be overrated, just like MP in general).

TMMB definitely rocks. I don't know if I can put it or MalNar on the same level as YYZ or La Villa. If I remember correctly (and we're going back over 25 years), I don't think I was all that crazy about YYZ when I first heard it, but it is now arguably my favorite Rush song. It has so much going on in it that it took a while to fully appreciate it. I think the same could happen with TMMB and MalNar.

So, after 26 hours of having S&A in my possession, I do like TMMB and MalNars chances of becoming all time greats in my own R&R hall of fame.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 2 2007, 01:37 PM)
I think there's a musicality that La Villa possesses that Monkey does not. But I love MMB's energy.

I rank it still 3rd behind Strangiato and YYZ....but easily the best one since '81.

goodpost.gif

Yep...MonkeyBiz is definitely growing on me BIG-TIME with each listen!! It really is awesome!!

However, LA VILLA STRANGIATO is an instrumental on its' own level, even more so than YYZ. It is absolutely untouchable in my opinion, and no instrumental will ever top that!!

However...like I said, MonkeyBiz is just smokin'!! I CANNOT WAIT TO HEAR THIS LIVE!!! 1022.gif yes.gif 1022.gif

MalNar is OK:

It has 2 PAUSES! dazed025.gif YECH! WTF? this is RUSH. They are the kings of transitions!

Bass: boring BORING bassline, lalalala OVER AND OVER.

Guitar and Bass riffs are too similar

Drums: Really Good (Neil rocks on S&A)

Guitar: CHORDS! CHORDS! and that one riff.

TMMB is great:

The drums carry this song, mega dynamic here.

Again THIS one also has 2 PAUSES! dazed025.gif YECH! WTF? this is RUSH. They are the kings of transitions!

the bass and guitar are AGAIN too close together, playing the same riffs.

Main riff is boring. la la la - la la la.

bad intro, there is NO NEED for that guitar in the 1st 5 seconds.

there is NO NEED for VOCALS

bridge to then end is fantasic, strong build up and the outro.

HOWEVER La Villa blows them away in just the first riff. They are not even in the same league.

Are you out of your mind?

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/Xanadu93/lolwut-1.jpg

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 23 2009, 04:42 PM)
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/Xanadu93/lolwut-1.jpg

I agree......MMB is not as good or not even close to Villa. I play this song on the bass and its not as exciting to play as Villa or Yyz are. I give it an A+ on the drum work of MMB but every thing else is bleh....

Archived