Everyday Glory

nic2112nic

Who here loves this song? After buying Counterparts recently, I seem to have this song played every other time biggrin.gif There's something about this song that is very catchy, something that has occurred in certain other Rush songs that makes them very memorable and amazingly good! 2.gif

It's my favorite song on counterparts, followed closely by Double Agent and Leave That Thing Alone.

Eye!

Tis a bonney tooon!

I think the geetar has a hypnotic quality about it.

I do like it, particularly the last few lines of lyric, starting with "When the future's looking dark..."

I like it.

Has anyone noticed that this song seems to be LOUDER than the others?

QUOTE (nic2112nic @ Apr 7 2007, 08:38 PM)
Yeah, the guitar is quite infectious biggrin.gif

Well so is Gonnorrhoea, but that doesn't mean I want to be anywhere near that

Everyday Glory is one of the few songs I like from Counterparts. Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing this one live.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Apr 8 2007, 02:04 PM)

hehe, point taken biggrin.gif What I mean is that it's catchy in a good musical sort of way laugh.gif

haha, Gonnorrhoea............

QUOTE (Fridge @ Apr 8 2007, 09:04 AM)

Yes, but we're not talking about Caress Of Steel.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Apr 8 2007, 02:16 AM)
I like it.

I like it quite a lot too.

Perhaps it seems to be louder than the rest of the album because its mix is analog, while the rest of the album was mixed digitally.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 8 2007, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Apr 8 2007, 09:04 AM)

Yes, but we're not talking about Caress Of Steel.

tongue.gif

no.gif Shame on you tongue.gif

Am i the only one who think's that the main riff sounds like the theme for melrose place? aside from that, my favourite from CP along with animate.

Viscious, where did you get that info???

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Apr 7 2007, 06:16 PM)

I remember reading an interview with Geddy somewhere, and he said "Everyday Glory" was mixed to analog, whereas the rest of CP was mixed to digital. He said the reason was that it had a special midrange quality which they wanted to bring out, anf an analog mix brought out the warmth they were looking for.

IMO, it's an amazing song in several aspects.

The bass guitar is just booming loud and dirty-but-nice, and he funks it up a bit with that finger flicking/struming technique. (Which he used for the 1st time on CP, probably influeced by touring with & befriending Les Claypool of Primus on the TRB tour.) Alex spinkles in accoustics which are mixed perfectly w/ the electrics, as he's done so effectively since the 70's.

The chorus & bridge chord progressions have this written-on-accoustic, big, country-chord quality to them. Major & minor, nothing fancy, with great vocal melodies overtop. The basic-but-strong songwriting approach, also heard on "Nobody's Hero". A bit folksy, like "Bravado", "The Pass", and "Resist" from this Rush era.

The lyrics are simply beautiful. A bit of a departure for Neil, but it's very effective. No beating around the bush here. A bit sad, but very hopeful. The bridge uses opposites to inspire hopefulness, with some simple but clever word play.

Though i've heard people say that the lyrics are "too commercial", which is just preposterous IMHO. Simplicity doesn't necessarily imply commerciality. It works for this song, like so many others. The only thing which bugs me about this tune is the guitar tone in the opening and closing parts. Maybe because the piano-like keyboards are mixed in, i dunno.

QUOTE (Mars On The Horizon @ Apr 9 2007, 04:14 PM)
QUOTE (third hand grace @ Apr 7 2007, 06:16 PM)

I remember reading an interview with Geddy somewhere, and he said "Everyday Glory" was mixed to analog, whereas the rest of CP was mixed to digital. He said the reason was that it had a special midrange quality which they wanted to bring out, anf an analog mix brought out the warmth they were looking for.

Wow, I didnt know that! I thought it sounded different to the others sound quality wise

Archived