BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

daveyt

I could never get into his music either.

His songwriting talents cannot be denied though, and I have to say, although I've never been to a concert of his, I can tell that him & his band put on one hell of a show every night.

I do enjoy a few songs, but overall I'm not a fan.

I don't hate him or anything, he's just kinda in the "eh" category for me.....

Yes, I'm from and live in New Jersey, but that does not automatically make me a Springsteen fanatic.

I've met plenty of people who live here who intensely dislike Springsteen.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 16 2009, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 16 2009, 05:35 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 16 2009, 04:32 PM)
The man has written some fabulous songs.  And he puts on a pretty good show (I saw him once, that's all I needed).  Yeah, he's fan base goes overboard with the praise, but don't all fan bases?  He's a traditional songwriter, so a lot of people on this board won't appreciate him.  Too bad, like I said, he's written some great songs.

I've never cared for his blue collar persona.

Fair enough. No ones forcing anyone to like Bruce Springsteen. I don't consider myself a big fan, not by a long shot. In fact, I don't care for his blue collar persona either. I've driven near where his Rumson NJ home is - the man ain't blue collar! But when I hear a good song, I hear a good song.

Hey if you like him, that's cool. Actually, I like his song "Atlantic City".

What I meant by blue collar, is that his music is geared towards that as well as his main listening audience.

Same could be said of John Mellencamp, who I'm not a fan of either, but I like his stuff a little better.

I'm not a huge Springsteen fan, but I still think Bruce has alot of great material.

No doubt he's a great performer too.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 16 2009, 05:06 PM)
The man has written some fabulous songs.  And he puts on a pretty good show (I saw him once, that's all I needed).  Yeah, he's fan base goes overboard with the praise, but don't all fan bases?  He's a traditional songwriter, so a lot of people on this board won't appreciate him.  Too bad, like I said, he's written some great songs.

Fair enough. No ones forcing anyone to like Bruce Springsteen. I don't consider myself a big fan, not by a long shot. In fact, I don't care for his blue collar persona either. I've driven near where his Rumson NJ home is - the man ain't blue collar! But when I hear a good song, I hear a good song.

What I meant by blue collar, is that his music is geared towards that as well as his main listening audience.

Same could be said of John Mellencamp, who I'm not a fan of either, but I like his stuff a little better.

What's wrong with being blue collar?

I consider myself as being one.

Hope I'm not breaking any stereotype by liking Bruce, Mellencamp, and Rush, Along with Classical, and other genres of music that don't fit the mold. sarcasm.gif

Edited by softfilter

QUOTE (softfilter @ Nov 17 2009, 02:00 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 16 2009, 05:06 PM)

What's wrong with being blue collar?

I consider myself as being one.

Hope I'm not breaking any stereotype by liking Bruce, Mellencamp, and Rush, Along with Classical, and other genres of music that don't fit the mold. sarcasm.gif

There's nothing wrong with being blue collar. My problem, and it's not that big of a problem, is with Springsteen provoking it when he's living like a king. I guess it comes across a bit hypocritical to me. But from what I hear and have read he's pretty charitable, so maybe I'm being unfair. Again, I like a lot of his songs.

There is nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree. But if your coming off as trying to slag Bruce and the people that enjoy his music that really isn't being cool. Bruce has a lot of material and some of it I just skip over just like other artists. I really like " Radio Nowhere " catchy little tune.

QUOTE (silver @ Nov 17 2009, 07:37 PM)
There is nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree.  But if your coming off as trying to slag Bruce and the people that enjoy his music that really isn't being cool.  Bruce has  a lot of material and some of it I just skip over just like other artists.  I really like " Radio Nowhere "  catchy little tune.

He's just like Elton etc, usually everyone has a favourite Springsteen song at least.

tumblr_pp3oapyWGO1sc9l37o3_r1_500.gif

The year's first marathon is none other than The Boss & Co.

All studio and live albums in chronological order...1973 to 2020.

Who is with me?

bruce-1970s.jpg

I like 'Code of Silence' that Springsteen co-wrote with Joe Grushecky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmliFFBFQAQ

How did I miss this? Im always up for Bruce! Second date with my husband was seeing him in a club in Cleveland. And Joe Grushecky is from Pittsburgh :) :)

• Like 1

How did I miss this? Im always up for Bruce! Second date with my husband was seeing him in a club in Cleveland. And Joe Grushecky is from Pittsburgh :) :)

Wow, that’s awesome!

When and where was that?

It must have been a great show.

Wow, that’s awesome!

When and where was that?

It was a great show, and a whole thing, lol, like a 1980's comedy in some ways! :lol: Sorry, it's long.

It was a show that has been recorded and released a few times, I think- August 9, 1978 in Cleveland at a club called the Agora. It had been sold out for ages and a radio station in Pittsburgh was giving away 4 tickets. My close childhood friend Marti won them! She was 17 (always looked 25) and the station forgot to tell her it was in a nightclub. Also it was 2 hrs away in another state, she didn't have a car, and her mother told her she couldn't go unless a guy took one of the 4 tickets. Then she remembered I had just started dating someone; could I get off work and bring the guy and then we could all go? That was the plan! :heart:

By the time I got off work and got my mom's car (a Dodge Omni :laughing guy: :laughing guy: ) we barely had enough time to get there so I was chugging along on the Ohio turnpike. Of course, I got pulled over ( I was only 18 and hadn't been driving that long and was not familiar with the state police) and the officer asked for the registration card. My mom's glove compartment was always a damn mess and I couldn't find it. I dug around and finally looked up and said the truth, which was, "I'm sorry, sir, all I can find is an Exxon card." :lol: He tried not to laugh, looked in at 3 blondes and a skinny guy in a Rainbow t shirt and finally said he would let us off with a warning. . . hooray! ( I drove about 25 the rest of the way . . .)

So we get there, ready to go in and they are checking IDs and stamping hands (geez, liquor laws in the 70's with 3.2 beer) . Marti and her other friend Carol are 17! It's a bar! (Thanks for the heads up, WDVE! :lol: ) Marti and I look at each other and say, "Well, we didn't come this far to go home." I had a voter registration card and blood donor card (I'm that kinda nerd) which Carol used to get in. Still short an ID for Marti. Another blonde girl gets out of a car and Marti (who later had a stellar career in employee relations) is able to tell her the story and ask if the girl has any extra ID. She does! :ebert: We get in! And meet the girl in the ladies room 5 minutes later to return the ID and thank her. (All kinds of kids are climbing in the ladies room window :lol: Should have thought of that ourselves.)

It was an awesome show. I didn't know that much Bruce music at the time but it was just stellar, Bruce and Clarence with his saxophone both up on the bar, playing hard. :heart: :heart: :heart:

It was a night we all remembered always, and one of the first things I thought of when Marti's family let me know in April that she had passed away of a sudden heart event. :( She was a sweetie and we'll always have memories of Cleveland; you're only young, dumb and immortal for a limited time. Thanks for letting me share my memories. Marti is below on the left, with my sister a few years ago.

KFsMuYZm.png CoVgvLam.jpg TVC8RiOm.jpg

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Wow, that’s awesome!

When and where was that?

It was a great show, and a whole thing, lol, like a 1980's comedy in some ways! :lol: Sorry, it's long.

It was a show that has been recorded and released a few times, I think- August 9, 1978 in Cleveland at a club called the Agora. It had been sold out for ages and a radio station in Pittsburgh was giving away 4 tickets. My close childhood friend Marti won them! She was 17 (always looked 25) and the station forgot to tell her it was in a nightclub. Also it was 2 hrs away in another state, she didn't have a car, and her mother told her she couldn't go unless a guy took one of the 4 tickets. Then she remembered I had just started dating someone; could I get off work and bring the guy and then we could all go? That was the plan! :heart:

By the time I got off work and got my mom's car (a Dodge Omni :laughing guy: :laughing guy: ) we barely had enough time to get there so I was chugging along on the Ohio turnpike. Of course, I got pulled over ( I was only 18 and hadn't been driving that long and was not familiar with the state police) and the officer asked for the registration card. My mom's glove compartment was always a damn mess and I couldn't find it. I dug around and finally looked up and said the truth, which was, "I'm sorry, sir, all I can find is an Exxon card." :lol: He tried not to laugh, looked in at 3 blondes and a skinny guy in a Rainbow t shirt and finally said he would let us off with a warning. . . hooray! ( I drove about 25 the rest of the way . . .)

So we get there, ready to go in and they are checking IDs and stamping hands (geez, liquor laws in the 70's with 3.2 beer) . Marti and her other friend Carol are 17! It's a bar! (Thanks for the heads up, WDVE! :lol: ) Marti and I look at each other and say, "Well, we didn't come this far to go home." I had a voter registration card and blood donor card (I'm that kinda nerd) which Carol used to get in. Still short an ID for Marti. Another blonde girl gets out of a car and Marti (who later had a stellar career in employee relations) is able to tell her the story and ask if the girl has any extra ID. She does! :ebert: We get in! And meet the girl in the ladies room 5 minutes later to return the ID and thank her. (All kinds of kids are climbing in the ladies room window :lol: Should have thought of that ourselves.)

It was an awesome show. I didn't know that much Bruce music at the time but it was just stellar, Bruce and Clarence with his saxophone both up on the bar, playing hard. :heart: :heart: :heart:

It was a night we all remembered always, and one of the first things I thought of when Marti's family let me know in April that she had passed away of a sudden heart event. :( She was a sweetie and we'll always have memories of Cleveland; you're only young, dumb and immortal for a limited time. Thanks for letting me share my memories. Marti is below on the left, with my sister a few years ago.

What a wonderful story...thank you for sharing it!

I saw Bruce (for the first time) about a month later in Syracuse on 12 September.

I can honestly say that the show literally changed my life.

I've been a big fan ever since.

That Agora show is fantastic...Bruce released it through his site.

Bruceagora78.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, that’s awesome!

When and where was that?

What a wonderful story...thank you for sharing it!

I saw Bruce (for the first time) about a month later in Syracuse on 12 September.

I can honestly say that the show literally changed my life.

I've been a big fan ever since.

That Agora show is fantastic...Bruce released it through his site.

Bruceagora78.jpg

The show was a life changer for sure! It's hard to believe now, but I had many friends who thought Bruce was maybe a poser, due to the Jon Landau quote about him being the future of rock n roll.Never had any doubt myself but especially not after that night! I had a bootleg copy for a long time but have lost it. Thank you for the info !

• Like 2