BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

daveyt

my of my co-workers who can identify with my rush travels is a traveler himself. he has seen BRUCE a billion times and i got my first bootleg from 1990 and it is f*cking awesome. i'm starting to "get it" finally with THE BOSS. THE BOSS was going through STAGE 2 when it wasn't that cool to be into him for kids my age (17) in 1987 (although it was cool to imitate him).

well i am happy to say that i have discovered some new music to get off on.

ph34r.gif

like i said; that one song is good. why don't you download it? tell you what, i'll upload it from my disc and share it with youz via AOL. i think some of his tunes have a great mesh of different influences that give it a great east coast rock n roll feel. it's like he handed down R & R to the next generation because some of his music has that vibe that just HITS HOME.

i was trying to burn a disc before going out last night and i wasn't able to do it. i listened to that boot i was given and DAMN was i glad to pop that baby in. the music (some tunes) is universal in what it comminucates. i was impressed. the show was from NYC so the energy was certainly there. prety sure it was VAN ZANT on guitar and backup vocals and they weer AWESOME backup vocals! anyone seen THE BOSS live?

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 4 2004, 03:38 PM)
his music is too "basic" .

Gotta disagree on this one. Sure, many of his mainstream hits are simple rock tunes, but the E-Street Band is one of the finest music ensembles ever in terms of straight up Rock and Roll / R&B (IMHO). I suggest songs like Thunder Road or Born to Run as starting points for Springsteen, and The River is a better album to start with than Born in the USA. For the acoustically inclined, you cannot beat Nebraska.

And again, he must be experienced in concert 1022.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ Dec 5 2004, 12:24 AM)
plus this boot has a kick ass version of BADLANDS. i rewound the intro like 100x times because the first note/beat was so awesome

"1..2..3..4. <da da da da da da da>...."

Exellent.....daveyt's gettin hooked, and there is no better person to spread the word 1022.gif

Gimme a little "Atlantic City"

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Dec 5 2004, 05:57 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 4 2004, 03:38 PM)
his music is too "basic" .

Gotta disagree on this one. Sure, many of his mainstream hits are simple rock tunes, but the E-Street Band is one of the finest music ensembles ever in terms of straight up Rock and Roll / R&B (IMHO). I suggest songs like Thunder Road or Born to Run as starting points for Springsteen, and The River is a better album to start with than Born in the USA. For the acoustically inclined, you cannot beat Nebraska.

And again, he must be experienced in concert 1022.gif

trink39.gif

All excellent choices yes.gif

Have to say I love the Boss. I hated him, but as I've gotten older, albums like Darkness On The Edge of Town, Born To Run, Nebraska totally make sense now. They're like storyboards. And live, he's just out of this planet.

The same thing happened to me with Dylan.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 24 2009, 12:10 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Mar 24 2009, 12:08 AM)
one of the most overrated musicians ever........

If there is such a thing as a worthy 4+ year old bump, here it is. biggrin.gif

yep....... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Mar 23 2009, 11:08 PM)
one of the most overrated musicians ever........

that's the fact jack

1022.gif

daveyt - i admire your courage for the original post. around here, he'll get about as much love as Frankie Goes To Hollywood or Jesus Jones.

growing up in New Jersey in the 1970's it was hard if not impossible to not have an opinion or a connection with springsteen. and given the volume of multi-week stints he would sell out seemingly every summer at Giants Stadium, it would be just as unlikely for someone from the area not to have seen him play live a number of times.

as a young kid i was very into Springsteen. Probably seen him play live over a dozen times, and as a matter of fact, have tickets to see him in May as many good friends and family from the area still like his music. personally, Bruce lost me after The River, IMO his last best effort. I remember watching him open the (at the time) Brendan Byrne Arena (later, Continental Airlines Arena, now Izod Center) on June 2, 1980. The place was new and no one knew that the entire building would SHAKE when 19,000 fans jumped up and down at the same time.

bruce went off on his excursion into Dylan-esque music and he lost me completely with efforts like Nebraska, Tom Joad, etc.

and not unlike Bono, Bruce is another artist that needs to shut the F up and play music and leave the political soapbox stuff out of his shows. its a strong contributing factor to why i stopped listening to his music. plus, i want to hear rock, not this talk-sing crap. but, for anyone who's never been to one of his shows, hes truly the pinnacle of putting heart and soul into each and every night. he'd play for 3 1/2 or 4 hours every night, and as millions saw on Superbowl Sunday, the 59 year old still puts everything into it. just nowadays i find myself only connecting with the old material (in part because I dont know any of his new material, aside from maybe 'Radio Nowhere')

Bruce is one of those artists where you can safely say that his "persona" defines his musical legacy and I guess 'The Boss' sums that up, as compared to a group of proficient musicians and self-proclaimed perfectionists.

I'll see U2 this summer, as well as Bruce. I hope both Bono and Bruce keep their mouths shut and sing. And yes I will feel very old this summer, thanks for asking. cool.gif

Edited by PassTheAmmunition

same for me, never could get into him, I've tried numerous times to do so but he just doesn't do it for me...x's 2 on the political nonsense....i'm tired of hearing it......I also get sick of people ( a friend of mine mostly) calling him a "working class hero", the guy has been famous since he was about 21!! If playing a 3 hour concert makes you a working class hero then what are all of us 8+ hour a day guys?working class Gods?? Edited by Paulio91184