OUT OF THE CRADLE

Rushman14

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 27 2009, 08:00 PM)
Still probably the best "closer" from their past five studio albums; a great message to end with.

With all the bumps to this thread, this'll be the third time I say this wink.gif : "The Stars Look Down" is the weakest track on VT. I agree with what Neil was saying, but the song is too blah. schla03.gif

I pretty much agree with all of this.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 27 2009, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 27 2009, 08:26 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 27 2009, 08:08 PM)
who the hell bumped this 2 years later????

The same guy who STARTED the thread; the same guy who bumped the thread LAST YEAR, at about this time of year. laugh.gif

I just perused the entire thread and noticed that after the bump last year I piped-in with the same thing I had said when the thread was first started! So, with yet another bump, I decided to repeat it a third time. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

bekloppt.gif

and I'll bump it again next year!! I love the song THAT much.

Edited by Rushman14

Perhaps if and when they remaster this bad boy, I'll feel differently but I'm just not a big fan of this album.....it's hard to say if that's because of the music itself or horrible quality, but for me it would be a tough choice to pick a least favorite as it rivals Test for Echo in average to below average songs by Rush's standards

I will put the songs on this album into 3 categorites

The Classics (in order)

1. Earthshine

2. Ghost Rider

3. One Little Victory

4. Peaceable Kingdom

The just "OK" songs

1. Secret Touch

2. Ceiling Unlimited

3. Out of the Cradle

4. Freeze

5. Nocturne

6. Sweet Miracle

The throw aways

1. The Stars Look Down

2. How it is

3. Vapor Trail

Worst song is Stars Look Down for me

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jan 28 2009, 06:04 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jan 27 2009, 05:24 PM)
bumper.gif

Just came on my iPod so i had to resurrect this thread. Still one of my all time favs.  1022.gif

I want the remaster!

You just CAME on your iPod? Wow, what a mess!

And what, exactly, were you listening to that drove you to do this?

confused13.gif

I was listening to Krokus.

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jan 28 2009, 08:57 PM)
Perhaps if and when they remaster this bad boy, I'll feel differently but I'm just not a big fan of this album.....it's hard to say if that's because of the music itself or horrible quality, but for me it would be a tough choice to pick a least favorite as it rivals Test for Echo in average to below average songs by Rush's standards

I will put the songs on this album into 3 categorites

The Classics (in order)

1. Earthshine
2. Ghost Rider
3. One Little Victory
4. Peaceable Kingdom

The just "OK" songs

1. Secret Touch
2. Ceiling Unlimited
3. Out of the Cradle
4. Freeze
5. Nocturne
6. Sweet Miracle

The throw aways

1. The Stars Look Down
2. How it is
3. Vapor Trail

Worst song is Stars Look Down for me

I am an Out Of The Cradle Fan.....

The thing about Vapor Trails is, I remember driving down the road, so unbelievable anxious, waiting to hear the new Rush release on the radio we ALL had been hungry for, and then it came on....

Neil's double bass and hi hat and snare, in an incredibly arranged opening on OLV, and then the guitars and bass came in and I looked over to my wife and said...

"Honey, I can't believe it, but that sounds like shit"....

I loved the song, but it sounded like it was mixed in a metal trash can...

I got on my cell phone and called my friend in Virginia, and asked if he had heard the new release, and he pretty much said, and I may not be quoting him verbatim, "That sounds like shit...."

The point is, I, like many of you guys, am an audiophile, and I just can't get past the mix and production of Vapor Trails. I do love the songs, and the approach they took to the songs, even without the blazing Alex solos, and with all the layering of numerous tracks....it is a cool collection of great songs, that I feel I could have mixed and produced better that Paul Northfield quite honestly, and believe me when I say that I really believe that.....

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 28 2009, 12:27 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 27 2009, 11:23 PM)
Sweet Miracle is the worst song on VT.

yes.gif It's the only song I skip over.

Give it another listen you two. Concentrate only on the music, on Geddy's bass lines. Sweet Jesus, take it from this reformed SM disliker.. I have seen the light! Sweet Miracle is a really good song. All I am saying/Is give Sweet Miracle a chance. http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/67.gif

Oh, and OOTC is a really good song too. VT is overall a great album. It's unfortunate the sound suffers from (insert term here). Sounds like a remix/master/whatever is in the cards. Someday.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jan 29 2009, 11:58 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 28 2009, 12:27 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 27 2009, 11:23 PM)
Sweet Miracle is the worst song on VT.

yes.gif It's the only song I skip over.

Give it another listen you two. Concentrate only on the music, on Geddy's bass lines. Sweet Jesus, take it from this reformed SM disliker.. I have seen the light! Sweet Miracle is a really good song. All I am saying/Is give Sweet Miracle a chance. http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/67.gif

Oh, and OOTC is a really good song too. VT is overall a great album. It's unfortunate the sound suffers from (insert term here). Sounds like a remix/master/whatever is in the cards. Someday.

"It's unfortunate the sound suffers from (clipping)."

This is from the Wiki page on VT:

"As explained by Rip Rowan on the ProRec website, the damaged production is the result of overly-compressed (clipped) audio levels during mastering, though Rush have admitted that there was digital distortion during recording, which also contributed to the damage. Remastering the album would not correct the damage from digital distortion that was introduced during recording, but it could correct the other, more destructive damage that is the result of overly-compressing the audio during mastering."

As far as OOTC goes: My wife and I love it enough to have derived our nicknames for this board from it (hers is RockTheCradle) and I think it's a good album closer.

And, overall, I really like VT from a musical quality standpoint and wish the technical problems could be fixed to let its finer points stand out.

I'm a little dissapointed. I would have thought for sure this thread would have evolved into pictures of scantilly clad women by now ? confused13.gif atickhum.gif

Oh well. trink38.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 29 2009, 11:15 AM)
I'm a little dissapointed. I would have thought for sure this thread would have evolved into pictures of scantilly clad women by now ? confused13.gif  atickhum.gif

Oh well. trink38.gif

laugh.gif

there's only one thread worthy of that... and there is no substitute.

bumper.gif

It's been 2 and a half years since I last bumped this thread and it just came on my ipod so I figured what the hell. laugh.gif

Nope, it still sucks.

In fact, it's in the running for the worst song in the entire Rush library.

I have tried. It has very little redeeming value to me. Nothing draws me in and makes me want to play it. And so my rendering of Vapor Trails always ends with "Freeze" which is one of my favs off the album and has a solid ending.

Now that I think of it, "Here Again" is a worse Rush track. But that's about it.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jan 31 2009, 02:33 AM)
I've never really liked that song. It's just too loud and convoluted sounding like most of the rest of the album and the way Geddy screams "ENDLESSLY ROOOOCKING!!"  makes my teeth itch. It just...sucks.  no.gif

Itching teeth..... laugh.gif

And for those of you who don't like Sweet Miracle (I do), at least it's the shortest track on the album.

Edited by Rush Cocky

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 2 2011, 12:59 PM)

Now that I think of it, "Here Again" is a worse Rush track. But that's about it.

clearly you've never heard Anagram.

I like Here Again smile.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 2 2011, 04:02 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 2 2011, 12:59 PM)

Now that I think of it, "Here Again" is a worse Rush track.  But that's about it.

clearly you've never heard Anagram.

I like Here Again smile.gif

At least Anagram has a beat. laugh.gif

Here Again is just endless droning to me.

It makes my toenails throb.