Has anyone seen Rush screw up live?

Rushman14

Moving Pictures Tour 1981 at the Anaheim Convention Center. They were playing Limelight and Neil got confused. At the end of the first chorus when they normally go back to the main riff into the second verse, Neil thought they were at the end of the second chorus and went right into those down beats leading into the solo section (hope this is making sense). Anyway, the band got so messed up by this it literally took them about 10 seconds before they got back in synch. Those 10 seconds were a complete train wreck. I remember thinking "whoa, these guys are human!" oops.gif

I saw Neil screw up Spirit of Radio in Glasgow on the R30 tour. Just before they went into the main verse riff, there's two bars where the hit a chord and hold it for one bar each. Instead, Neil kept on drumming for about half a bar.

A tight band not only makes few mistakes, but knows how to recover from them.

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Mar 15 2007, 03:26 PM)
Moving Pictures Tour 1981 at the Anaheim Convention Center. They were playing Limelight and Neil got confused. At the end of the first chorus when they normally go back to the main riff into the second verse, Neil thought they were at the end of the second chorus and went right into those down beats leading into the solo section (hope this is making sense). Anyway, the band got so messed up by this it literally took them about 10 seconds before they got back in synch. Those 10 seconds were a complete train wreck. I remember thinking "whoa, these guys are human!" oops.gif

I was at that show too. I don't remember the screw up but I was a big partier back then. cool10.gif

At Va Beach during Neil's Solo (R30), The swing music didn't play and he just kept on playing the solo. ohmy.gif When the solo ended he was soooooo pi$$ed!!! Alex and Geddy were laughing when they came back out for Resist and Neil didn't find it too amusing at all. rofl3.gif

I did see a minor glitch when I saw RUSH in Buffalo year ago, it struck me then, but I don't remember what song it was all these years later....

but.......

I do remember seeing them open their T4E tour in Albany NY and Ged said...."There are no mistakes...Just new parts...."

QUOTE (brotherraven @ Mar 15 2007, 08:23 PM)
I did see a minor glitch when I saw RUSH in Buffalo year ago, it struck me then, but I don't remember what song it was all these years later....
but.......
I do remember seeing them open their T4E tour in Albany NY and Ged said...."There are no mistakes...Just new parts...."

HAHAHA!

I love his stage banter. It's so colourful. "How you doin' out there... anyway?"

listen to different stages and on Driven(i think) someone yells "shake it off Alex" cuz he was PISSED about something, and I was right there for that.

On either r30 tour or feedback again in chicago Alex again was totally pissed- looked like he needed the volume higher/couldn't hear himself, there were lots of hand signals to one of his techs.

never saw ged mess up, and wouldn't probably know if Neil did unless it was a "train wreck"

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Mar 15 2007, 10:08 PM)
listen to different stages and on Driven(i think) someone yells "shake it off Alex" cuz he was PISSED about something, and I was right there for that.
On either r30 tour or feedback again in chicago Alex again was totally pissed- looked like he needed the volume higher/couldn't hear himself, there were lots of hand signals to one of his techs.
never saw ged mess up, and wouldn't probably know if Neil did unless it was a "train wreck"

If I went back in time Id have smacked that dork. I wish they mixed that out smile.gif

When they played Radio City Musci Hall back in 83/84 Geddy completely botched the lyrics to "The Body Electric". The shows there were a few months before the release of G/P.

I've usually noticed something during each show - mostly minor stuff (usually technical in nature). The the Body Electric thing really sticks out in my mind.

In the 20shows that I have seen, at least 10 had mistakes...they are human...They even chose to leave in a major mistake on the Big Money guitar solo on R30 or RIR, I can't recall which one right now. So what ...they are still the best musicians assembled in one band! 1022.gif

I find it amusing when bands train wreck. Some of my fave bands always make mistakes on stage (NIN) and I just laugh or not even notice unless they can't get back into the rhythm of things, then it's disastrous. I remember when Carl Palmer screwed up, he actually stopped the whole song and told us "If you could just pretend that didn't happen...I wont, but if you could." laugh.gif Then he went back and did the whole thing over again and it was brilliant.

At least when Rush screw up they take it with a grain of salt... well maybe not Neil... so serious jeeze. eh.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Mar 16 2007, 09:05 AM)
I find it amusing when bands train wreck. Some of my fave bands always make mistakes on stage (NIN) and I just laugh or not even notice unless they can't get back into the rhythm of things, then it's disastrous. I remember when Carl Palmer screwed up, he actually stopped the whole song and told us "If you could just pretend that didn't happen...I wont, but if you could." laugh.gif Then he went back and did the whole thing over again and it was brilliant.

At least when Rush screw up they take it with a grain of salt... well maybe not Neil... so serious jeeze. eh.gif

That wasn't Carl Palmer's screwup. That was the sound guy's screwup, I think.

It was more they had to stop at the beginning of their set than any actual mistake by the musicians.

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Mar 15 2007, 02:26 PM)
Moving Pictures Tour 1981 at the Anaheim Convention Center. They were playing Limelight and Neil got confused.

i have the boot of that show and they also trainwrecked freewill and 2112 yes.gif the crowd was going nuts at that concert from what i heard wow1

QUOTE (daveyt @ Mar 16 2007, 05:45 PM)
Moving Pictures Tour 1981 at the Anaheim Convention Center. They were playing Limelight and Neil got confused.

i have the boot of that show and they also trainwrecked freewill and 2112 yes.gif the crowd was going nuts at that concert from what i heard wow1

Dude now that you mention it, I believe it was Freewill that I'm thinking of. Does the trainwreck happen right at the end of the first chorus? I've lost a few braincells in the last 26 years. cool10.gif

Jones Beach, Vapor Trails tour-Neil got totally turned around during the instrumental break in the middle of "Distant Early Warning"-completely lost.

Another Neil glitch is in "Earthshine" (R30 version)-2nd chorus he's 2 beats back from everyone else.

He's still an OK drummer though rofl3.gif

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Mar 16 2007, 03:10 PM)

Dude now that you mention it, I believe it was Freewill that I'm thinking of. Does the trainwreck happen right at the end of the first chorus? I've lost a few braincells in the last 26 years. cool10.gif

haha have you heard the recording? that show sounded like it was THE PLACE TO BE!!!!!

QUOTE (daveyt @ Mar 16 2007, 07:06 PM)
QUOTE (rushman14 @ Mar 16 2007, 03:10 PM)

haha have you heard the recording? that show sounded like it was THE PLACE TO BE!!!!!

I have not heard the recording but it was 1 of 5 Rush shows i saw on that tour. I remember it being pretty off the hook. icon_alienjig.gif

When i saw the Moving Pictures tour, San Diego Sports Arena, i was in the front row staring right into alex's Hiwatt 100w heads driving two 4x12" cabs - I remember not being able to hear for 4 days - If he made a mistake, even played the wrong song i probably would have noticed it.

Archived