Geico cavemen get sitcom

Jack Aubrey

Personally, I think the commercials are genius. I love how they skewer those thin-skinned types who are offended by every little thing. Not sure if it'll work as a sitcom, though.

Here's the skinny from Variety:

ABC developing 'Cavemen'
Comedy pilot based on Geico ads
By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

ABC pilot will ape insurance company Geico's caveman characters.
Winner for most unusual piece of development this pilot season goes to ABC, which has turned a series of quirky Geico commercials into an actual half-hour comedy project.

"Cavemen" will revolve around three pre-historic men who must battle prejudice as they attempt to live as normal thirtysomethings in modern Atlanta.

Project, from ABC TV Studio, is penned by Joe Lawson, an advertising copywriter who was behind the "Caveman" ads -- as well as other Geico commercials (think the cockney-speaking Geico gecko, and the reality TV spoof "Tiny House").

Daniel Rappaport, Guymon Cassady, Will Speck and Josh Gordon are exec producers. Speck and Gordon, commercial directors who recently helmed the Will Farrell feature "Blades of Glory," are on board to also direct.

The single-camera laffer pilot is based on the Geico ads that promote the insurance company's Web site as so user-friendly that even "a caveman could do it." The spots follow cavemen in modern settings, reacting with offense to the derogatory slogan. In one, a Geico spokesman apologizes and takes the Neanderthals out to dinner.

Other blurbs include the sensitive, modern cavemen peeved at the offending slogan while encountering Geico ads in everyday life, including the airport.

The caveman commercials were created through the Richmond, Va.-based Martin Agency. Jeff Daniel Phillips and Ben Weber play the cavemen in the Geico spots; no word if they'll make the transformation to the TV project.

Few TV shows have come out of the commercial sphere; more frequently, TV characters live on in 30-second spots long after their shows are canceled (think "ALF").

But it's not without precedence: The 2002 CBS comedy "Baby Bob" revolved around a talking baby character that was first seen in a series of dot.com ads. After the Eye canceled "Baby Bob," the character returned to its commercial roots, spending time as a pitchman (pitchbaby?) for Quizno's Subs.

well, i dont know about there own show but...

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ Mar 2 2007, 04:17 PM)
Love the commericals...Sitcom don't think it would last very long...taking a good thing too far type thing. wink.gif

I think it will all be dependent on the writing. Shows with much better concepts have been unsuccessful, while shows with even worse concepts have fared well. It's a simple concept, yes, but with the right relationship dynamics, style and clever writing, it COULD be successful. I doubt it, but it's possible...

I knew these commercials were genius from the first time I saw them. My favorite is the airport one, like tick posted. The expression on his face is amazing and I laugh my ass off every time. He's my favorite commerical dude, no question.

Now, I have some reservations that this can be funny as a 30 minute show. However, I really do hope this is just one of many steps forward for this guy. I'm a fan. yes.gif

QUOTE (thestand @ Mar 2 2007, 07:34 PM)
I could vomit a better sitcom outline. Actually, a sitcom about vomiting could actually be better.

There's already a made-for-TV movie about Karen Carpenter. It's in regular rotation on Lifetime. It's not a comedy though.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

And for the record, Ernest P. Worrell made quite a career out of commercials, using them as a springboard for bigger and better projects. I was never a huge fan of his. He was a decent physical comedian however. He was no Cleese, but he could certainly pull off a stunt better than Chris Farley.

Don't be too quick to judge. I see a lot of potential for humor. The concept of belittling PC ideals is quite amusing to me, as well as a few other Americans I have met.

this idea's been tried before with a caveman trying to get along in modern society, the last time it was a film, they called it Encino Man, and it was horrible....

seriously, I don't see this sitcom lasting more than 2 months. Looks like a case of Jumping the Shark from the get go. Then again, I also don't like the comericlas that much.

I like the commercials, but I dont think they could turn it into a sitcom. Thats going a bit far.

I think they might have even gone too far with the Caveman thing in the commercials already. Go back to the Gecko. He really made me want to move to America just to get Geico insurance.

But, if it did happen, I would watch.