Marillion newbie

well youll find most peeps here would recomend you go back to the stone age when fish was singing, cause there stuck in the 80's (no disrespect to there old material) but there last album from 2004, "marbles" is a masterpiece ! make sure you get the full album, theres a record store version that is missing key tracks. enjoy ! and buy there new album which will be released in march ! 1022.gif

QUOTE (prog.fusion @ Feb 22 2007, 12:35 PM)
everything.

Agreed.

Misplaced Childhood, Clutching at Straws, Brave, and Anoraknophobia are their best albums, in my opinion, although I don't have Marbles yet. But get it all...there's some unmissable material on every single one of their albums. I started from the beginning and never regretted it.

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 22 2007, 07:14 AM)
well youll find most peeps here would recomend you go back to the stone age when fish was singing, cause there stuck in the 80's (no disrespect to there old material) but there last album from 2004, "marbles" is a masterpiece ! make sure you get the full album, theres a record store version that is missing key tracks. enjoy ! and buy there new album which will be released in march ! 1022.gif

Come on Tick! Give me a break! "One break coming up!"

Wait that's Van Halen with who? David Lee Roth. Another Stone Age singer.

I can love and cherish both versions of Marillion. Shit man I love the "Marbles" cd. Great rebound record. Come on man. "Script" and "Misplaced" and "Clutching At Straws" RULE!

Fish was the shit man. I met him a few times in my life. Great guy to drink with. Yeah he drinks like a FISH! HAHAHA!!

I have met the MK2 Version of Marillion too. Great group of guys.

You can't go wrong.

So what's wrong with being stuck in the Eighties anyway?

Yeah I bought the new Saliva cd. A masterpiece.

Whatever.

So where are the guitar solos these days?

Stuck in the fokking Eighties too?

Wait for Alex to break the mould and shred on the new RUSH album.

Marillion is AWESOME!!!

GET EVERY RECORD!

Life is too short.

You don't want to spend the rest of your life "Clutching The Shortest Straw."

Steven Rothery is one of the greatest guitar players on the planet that no one cares about.

"Heart Of Lothian" rules.

MARILLION RULES!!!

"Somewhere Else" is coming out soon!

CHEERS!

Earl

"We are all just Sugar Mice in the rain."

"Peeps" is a ghetto term or some shitty Easter candy made from marshmellows and yellow spray paint in a chick formation. Crap.

I am a Marillion Fan.

Although some wise ass on this Forum called Rush Fans from the Bay Area BARF.

That is totally lame.

I am one of the biggest RUSH fans in the Bay Area.

No big deal. I can dish it out and I can take it.

ROCK ON!

This is interesting if you're a Marillion fan...

From their website:

"Our new (and 14th!) album Somewhere Else is now finished, set to be released on 9th April 2007, and is one hell of an album. Unlike previous years where we've had extensive pre-order campaigns, this album is taking more of a "normal" course into the shops - but of course we've found a way to put a twist on it.

We will not be selling the album on our website until it's released, but our friends at Townsend Records will be putting our album on sale NOW for advance order... and not only that, if you pre-order from them you'll get Something Else: an exclusive DVD of 3 new tracks from Somewhere Else recorded live at the Marillion Weekend 2007 as part of your order.

This DVD won't be for sale - it's ONLY available if you pre-order Somewhere Else from Townsend Records - not too bad, eh? What lovely chaps they are."

http://www.marillion.com/music/albums/swe.htm

QUOTE (Snowman @ Feb 28 2007, 09:00 AM)
I have heard the newest Marillion album! It is good! smile.gif

Lucky guy!!

How did you get it so early?? Promo??

That's like me telling all of you guys that I just listened to "Snakes & Arrows!!" I got a promo copy from my local radio station!!!

Dreaming......................................

QUOTE (Mark @ Mar 18 2007, 09:08 AM)
I think their first four albums are brilliant. Just brilliant.

I've never been able to accept the Steve Hogarth version. I've tried but it hasn't worked for me.

Sorry, Tick. sad.gif

well mark, next time they play the states, ill meet you at toads place, seen them with hogarth 4 times there, you just may change your mind. trink39.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 18 2007, 09:05 AM)
QUOTE (Mark @ Mar 18 2007, 09:08 AM)
I think their first four albums are brilliant.  Just brilliant.

I've never been able to accept the Steve Hogarth version.  I've tried but it hasn't worked for me.

Sorry, Tick.  sad.gif

well mark, next time they play the states, ill meet you at toads place, seen them with hogarth 4 times there, you just may change your mind. trink39.gif

Cool. Toads is a cool place. I've seen BOC there a bunch of times. 1022.gif

I'm a big fan of the Fish era of Marillion. It's what I grew up with, in my teens, so holds a certain nostalgia. It took me years to get used to Hogarth's vocal style, but eventually seeing him live, in 2004 showed me what I'd been missing for so many years.

For a newbie, I'd recommend getting Marbles, followed by Afraid of Sunlight. It goes without saying that I would recommend all the Fish era remastered CDs, cool.gif

In the last week or so, I've had a bit of a tour of the new-prog that's out there, (Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, et al) most of which I found ghastly.

But while I was touring round sites seeing what people thought was good I kept coming across references to Marillion's Marbles album and so, notwithstanding I thought that they sang about pixies, got it.

It's beautiful, full of lush exquisite music which never elevates the playing over the need to communicate the emotion.

If you want to check out one song, try Neverland from the Marbles album.

Disco

Archived