It's School Closing Season

ladirushfan80

thats never happens in connecticut, as far as i know. this morning it was 5 degrees and -20 with the wind chill and its just another day. snow however is a different story, they cancell school for seemingly any kind of snow at all.

Schools here NEVER close... they are always open to receive students.

Buses get cancelled though... and when ever there was massive bus cancellations... I stayed home anyway tongue.gif

My usual ploy...

No one is going to be there, and we'll spend the day doing crosswords and such.

Kids... use this excuse with CARE... only on days when EVERY bus for your district is cancelled will it work on parents.

At least on mine

Back when I lived across the street from the school.

And I mean across... I would look out my parents or brothers window and know which teachers were in because I could see their cars tongue.gif

I remember one time when our district was the only one around that didn't cancel or let out early and the roads were so bad by the time the day ended that we almost couldn't get home. The bus ended up stranded on top of a steep hill because it was so slick and icy - I don't think it had even been plowed or sanded yet - that our driver refused to risk taking the bus down it, even with chains on. She radioed the school and told them to tell the Highway Department to get out and sand/salt the road first. The district tried to fire her for it, but ended up facing the wrath of several dozen angry parents - including mine - demanding to know why school wasn't dismissed early.

Edit - and no, she wasn't fired. Nor should she have been, in my opinion.

I have had many snow days in my time. My high school NEVER closed though. and I mean NEVER. Actually, I was happy that most of the days were so cold that students didn't go to school because I could get extra work done. AKA Science labs that you have to wait for a couple hours to work on. Not on a snow day! No one is there! No one is testing line...no one in the lunch room. It was awesome! *nerd*

In junior high we had a protest. I didn't participate simply because there was no point. I think they were protesting about teachers going on strike. And we didn't even know if there was even going to be a strike. Pretty stupid. About 300 students went outside. Some arsehole guys (popular ones...go figure!) were angry with all of us for not protesting. Idiots. wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Feb 6 2007, 04:27 PM)
In Grand Forks in our state, the low was -30 without wind chill and there were no closings. In fact, in Bismarck it was about -20 and we still went...

Oh, I forgot... We're used to this. tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Thats exactly what I thought.

10 years of school = 1 snow day

Where I live now they close the school for snow but not for cold. The school my kids (except for one) go to are 5 miles away in another town. I live in a very rural area so when it snows they have to let kids out or the bus will have a hard time getting down those one lane gravel roads.

507 school closings today....

and my kids' school is one of them!!

sarcasm.gif

guess this time they didn't want to feel out of the loop.....

or deal with protestors again...

yup no buses and I ain't driving in this crap!!!!

snow day for Justin!

Sundog I'd drive to your house to let the kids play together but I ain't chancing it no.gif

so these are for you...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f301/Choatica123/smileys/snowangel.gif

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f301/Choatica123/smileys/snowball.gif

and this one is from Justin

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f301/Choatica123/smileys/frosty2.gif

QUOTE (chaotica @ Feb 14 2007, 08:03 AM)
yup no buses and I ain't driving in this crap!!!!

snow day for Justin!

Sundog I'd drive to your house to let the kids play together but I ain't chancing it no.gif

so these are for you...
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f301/Choatica123/smileys/snowangel.gif
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f301/Choatica123/smileys/snowball.gif
and this one is from Justin
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f301/Choatica123/smileys/frosty2.gif

laugh.gif Those are great smileys. Thanks! laugh.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 14 2007, 08:07 AM)
First "snow day" - were having an ICE storm - snow first, now freezing rain/sleet for last 6 hours, UGLY.

Weve had 2-3 2 hr. late delays, today is first snow day for kiddies. SO me and Mrs. Lerxt are taking the day off.

yes.gif It's sounding terrible. You certainly should stay home. No one should be going out in this no.gif no.gif no.gif

Don't forget to make this a Happy Valentines Day for Mrs Lerxt!! wink.gif

QUOTE (sundog @ Feb 14 2007, 08:13 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 14 2007, 08:07 AM)
First "snow day" - were having an ICE storm - snow first, now freezing rain/sleet for last 6 hours, UGLY.

Weve had 2-3 2 hr. late delays, today is first snow day for kiddies.  SO me and Mrs. Lerxt are taking the day off.

yes.gif It's sounding terrible. You certainly should stay home. No one should be going out in this no.gif no.gif no.gif

Don't forget to make this a Happy Valentines Day for Mrs Lerxt!! wink.gif

As much as I can with three kids smile.gif

Shoot!!! Here in NC if there is even talk of snow the day before, they are closing schools!!! Guess they don't want a repeat of 2005 when the roads were completely gridlocked. It took me 11.5 hours to go 14 miles that day!!!

My kids are a victim of the school system in a different way. They are being converted to a mandatory year round system effective next year. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (yetz @ Feb 14 2007, 09:14 AM)
Shoot!!! Here in NC if there is even talk of snow the day before, they are closing schools!!! Guess they don't want a repeat of 2005 when the roads were completely gridlocked. It took me 11.5 hours to go 14 miles that day!!!

My kids are a victim of the school system in a different way. They are being converted to a mandatory year round system effective next year. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

yeah, but you're down south dude!!!

just the SMELL of snow and the whole state shuts down!!

laugh.gif

i was in year round school for 3rd and 4th grade...

i LOVED it...

i wish they would convert the district here to that...

half way thru the summer the kids are bored out of their minds and ready to go back to school anyway....

IMHO (finbar)

Archived