Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Nov 27 2004, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 27 2004, 04:43 PM)
Great stuff here.  I'm glad you brought up Camera Eye.  I've always heard that too and have no idea what they say.  Anyone??

I can't make out the first first words spoken, but the second is 'Mornin' Guv'. I presume its to signify the London Connection.

Don't know if anyone answered this yet, so...

The first part is a very British "Hullo?", as if someone was answering the phone.

QUOTE (stoopidbat @ Aug 26 2005, 01:44 PM)
Hi!
First post on a great board!

On Time Stands Still - around 4:04- it sounds like someone popped open a can of beer. Maybe just beer on the brain on a summer afternoon...

trink39.gif

laugh.gif trink38.gif

welcome to the forum trink39.gif common001.gif yes.gif

In the song "Anthem" on ATWS, at the very end Geddy does a slide on his bass and it's a real deep sound and it almost sounds like someones real deep voice.

The water running and the birds(sounds like seagulls) in Natural Science is cool too.

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Sep 7 2005, 11:26 AM)
In ceiling unlimited....at about the 3:40 mark...

Neil beats the snare durm twice...

Twice again...

twice again...

Sweet drum fill

Geddy's voice comes in high: CEILING unlimited......

Amazing

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I just heard something cool in Middletown Dreams from Power Windows...

At 1:58 (just after Geddy sings Like a brilliant shooting star), there's a very cool synth effect immediately followed by a three-note riff from Alex, right before the sequenced keyboards kick in. Very nice.

P.S. I recently picked up the remastered Power Windows, and I'm enjoying this album more now than I did twenty years ago when it was originally released. My current favorites are the last three songs (Middletown Dreams, Emotion Detector, and Mystic Rhythms), and I'm also partial to the melody and shimmering keyboards in Grand Designs.

Edited by schneido

QUOTE (schneido @ Sep 7 2005, 06:06 PM)

At 1:58 (just after Geddy sings Like a brilliant shooting star), there's a very cool synth effect immediately followed by a three-note riff from Alex, right before the sequenced keyboards kick in. Very nice.

P.S. I recently picked up the remastered Power Windows, and I'm enjoying this album more now than I did twenty years ago when it was originally released. My current favorites are the last three songs (Middletown Dreams, Emotion Detector, and Mystic Rhythms), and I'm also partial to the melody and shimmering keyboards in Grand Designs.

I just checked it out. Very cool. cool.gif I have yet to get the remastered Power Windows. I have the remastered versions of the PW songs that appear in Retro II, so I'm 5 short. The sound difference is staggaring. I really need to complete the remaster series.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Sep 7 2005, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE (schneido @ Sep 7 2005, 06:06 PM)

At 1:58 (just after Geddy sings Like a brilliant shooting star), there's a very cool synth effect immediately followed by a three-note riff from Alex, right before the sequenced keyboards kick in.  Very nice.

P.S.  I recently picked up the remastered Power Windows, and I'm enjoying this album more now than I did twenty years ago when it was originally released.  My current favorites are the last three songs (Middletown Dreams, Emotion Detector, and Mystic Rhythms), and I'm also partial to the melody and shimmering keyboards in Grand Designs.

I just checked it out. Very cool. cool.gif I have yet to get the remastered Power Windows. I have the remastered versions of the PW songs that appear in Retro II, so I'm 5 short. The sound difference is staggaring. I really need to complete the remaster series.

Getting the remastered CDs have helped me really appreciate the mid 80's-early 90's Rush way more than when it first come out...I drifted away from them for a bit around then, mostly due to the increase of keyboards in their music (back then I was a guitar/bass/drums kinda guy) but since getting back in the fold I really got to like the albums I missed out on and the remastered albums helped with that (especially Presto and PoW...thought the songs were good but could've used some more punch) cool.gif

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

I have yet to get the remastered Power Windows.  I have the remastered versions of the PW songs that appear in Retro II, so I'm 5 short.  The sound difference is staggaring.  I really need to complete the remaster series.

I'm working on that myself. Recently, I purchased the remasters of MP and PoW, but that's all the remasters I have at this point. Next on the list is Signals (I have the original CD release of this one, but the sound is a bit murky), Permanent Waves, Grace Under Pressure, and Counterparts.

QUOTE (schneido @ Sep 7 2005, 05:45 PM)
I have yet to get the remastered Power Windows.  I have the remastered versions of the PW songs that appear in Retro II, so I'm 5 short.  The sound difference is staggaring.  I really need to complete the remaster series.

I'm working on that myself. Recently, I purchased the remasters of MP and PoW, but that's all the remasters I have at this point. Next on the list is Signals (I have the original CD release of this one, but the sound is a bit murky), Permanent Waves, Grace Under Pressure, and Counterparts.

remastered Signals sounds SOOOOOOO much better than the original release...highly recommend getting it cool.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 7 2005, 07:31 PM)
QUOTE (schneido @ Sep 7 2005, 05:45 PM)

remastered Signals sounds SOOOOOOO much better than the original release...highly recommend getting it cool.gif

I completely agree about Signals. HUGE difference. Actually, all of the remasters I have are an extraordinary improvement.

FBN

AFTK

MP

Signals

P/G

HYF

That's it. I need the rest. I'm dying to hear a remastered Natural Science. cool.gif

In the original master recording of Signals, in The Weapon, there is an extra 6 or 7 seconds of keyboards and drums at the 3:15 mark. I was very shocked when I first heard this. Edited by shine

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Dec 2 2004, 05:06 PM)
The sound of glass breaking in the middle of YYZ

I totally agree with that. That's one of those little details that sticks with you. Here are some other favorites of mine:

Vital Signs - Neil's drumming is incredible, the part with the double-hats and the splash accents in the first verse, as well as his amazing fills throughout the song. Geddy's bass work is tremendous on this song... I love the growl of whichever bass he was using (my bet is on the Rick in stereo with some chorus, but I'm not 100% sure), and that verse riff he plays is off the hook. It's slinky or something. Alex does some cool ska styling on this one.

Earthshine - I like the verse riff on the bass guitar in the "Rio" version of this a lot. It's really driving.

Witch Hunt - the cowbell!!! Tight song...

Limelight - the feedbacked high C# at the end of the solo, I love how it sustains through the end of the song

Tom Sawyer - that massive tom fill right after the solo ends...actually there are a few massive fills, but I'm really thinking the one where he pretty much spins around in a circle on his kit.

Closer to the Heart - the bells prior to verse 2, a simple but nice touch.

Distant Early Warning - the accents on the bass in the chorus, you can really hear Geddy digging in to the strings.

QUOTE (tepes22b @ Sep 8 2005, 11:16 AM)
Limelight - the feedbacked high C# at the end of the solo, I love how it sustains through the end of the song

OMG!! FINALLY!!!

laugh.gif

If anybody ever reads my posts - they will know that this is probably my favorite moment of Alex's entire career.

I've stated that note in many posts, including in this thread. I'm jumping out of my skin that somebody else actually mentioned it. At least you knew it was a high C#. That outdoes me, already. I just call it that kick ass bad boy note he holds with that twang thingy. icon_really_happy_guy.gif

You get a tripple Yukon Cornelius wahoooo!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/paganoman/yukon.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/paganoman/yukon.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/paganoman/yukon.jpg<--click

[edited to include my eloquent explanation from Dec 1 of last year. laugh.gif]

• Limelight - Best part of the song, imo. - At the end of Alex's solo he starts plucking the rhythm which leads into the last chorus. However, there are these last few lead notes. He hits that final note, and grabs that twang bar thing on this guitar and holds that bad boy for the next 18 seconds, right behind Geddy's vocal. It's the greatest thing I think I've ever heard. 3.12
Edited by paganoman

QUOTE (stoopidbat @ Aug 26 2005, 02:44 PM)
Hi!
First post on a great board!

On Time Stands Still - around 4:04- it sounds like someone popped open a can of beer.  Maybe just beer on the brain on a summer afternoon...

trink39.gif

A belated welcome to TRF!!! I love that section of the song. Lots of sound effects going on in the background. My favorite is this rat-a-tat sound that happens just before Neil's 8 stroke roll when Geddy starts singing again.

It's mentioned somewhere in this thread, but there's a lot of stuff in here.

Found em:

• Time Stand Still - The band goes into this energy charged drive leading into the final vocals. With the music are some sound effects I go crazy over. At 3.07 there is this ghostly, yet angelic keyboard effect that comes out of nowhere and builds louder and louder. YES!!
  • Time Stand Still - same section of music. A percussion sound effect at 3.11. There's a rac-a-tac-a-tac-a-tac sound just before Neil's snare fill. YES!!!!!! THE BEST!!

QUOTE (paganoman @ Sep 9 2005, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (tepes22b @ Sep 8 2005, 11:16 AM)

OMG!! FINALLY!!!

laugh.gif

If anybody ever reads my posts - they will know that this is probably my favorite moment of Alex's entire career.

I've stated that note in many posts, including in this thread. I'm jumping out of my skin that somebody else actually mentioned it. At least you knew it was a high C#. That outdoes me, already. I just call it that kick ass bad boy note he holds with that twang thingy. icon_really_happy_guy.gif

You get a tripple Yukon Cornelius wahoooo!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/paganoman/yukon.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/paganoman/yukon.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/paganoman/yukon.jpg<--click

[edited to include my eloquent explanation from Dec 1 of last year. laugh.gif]

• Limelight - Best part of the song, imo. - At the end of Alex's solo he starts plucking the rhythm which leads into the last chorus. However, there are these last few lead notes. He hits that final note, and grabs that twang bar thing on this guitar and holds that bad boy for the next 18 seconds, right behind Geddy's vocal. It's the greatest thing I think I've ever heard. 3.12

Well, hell, Pags. If I knew you were so facinated by this, I would have said something. I'm listening to it right now. I never knew it was a high C# either. I don't even know what that is, but it sounds cool. I love the video. He really works the "twang thingy." (Psssttt... it's called a tremelo or a whammy bar wink.gif )

653.gif

Shoot, actually I forgot it was a high C# bent up to D#, I kept thinking C# because it was the 21st fret but it's a full-step bend. Anyway, that part kills.

the keyboard "growl" in the big money is cool.

I like the keyboard whole note at the end of the solo in turn the page along with the big twang by alex.

hugh harris's commentary from shuttle launch control KSC along with john young and bob crippen's com chatter in countdown.

and whom ever at JSC who said "your looking good for a burn over the hill and we'll see you in madrid"

cool.gif

Great thread....

One of my favorite "sounds" in a rush song is intentional, yet very thoughtful....

It's in Camera Eye on Moving pictures....

Geddy says "the buildings are lost in their limitless rise"

and during that phrase, and continuing after, he does this climb up the scale on the bass that punctuates that phrase perfectly.

No where else in the song does that happen. Unbelievable.

I can't believe no-one's mentioned this one yet - it the bit in Red Barchetta where all three of them just click together.

The section I'm thinking off begins with that fade in part and concludes with the fade out. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif