Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

Reviving an old thread here...

Another of my favourite sounds is the main synth sound in Analog Kid, the one that accompanies the 'You move me, you move me' section and the outro.

It has a melancholic but optimistic yearning to it which really reflects the meaning of the lyrics.

Disco

PS Top info about The Enemy Within synth sound !

Oh my, so many, so here's a few,

- The Enemy Within: Geddy's vocal "p-p-pounding" in rhythm with Neils hits is just so freaking cool.

- Bravado: Neils most excellent drumming at the fade out. Unbelievable

- The Pass: Alex's triumphant soaring notes at the end of his solo never fails to give me some of the biggest goose bumps I'm sure to ever have.

- Marathon: That choir of voices at the end.

- Analog Kid: Alex throwing everything but the kitchen sink into that frenzied solo

- Time Stand Still: Aimee Mann's ethereal vocals (also putting her mouth singing those words on video at concert - a treat)

On the Live side...

Opening with "Thus Spake Zarathustra" has got to be the most fist-pumping openings in the history of mankind. I especially loved it when they showed the nut and bolt from Counterparts coming together in time with the music. Truly awe-inspiring and creative.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 23 2004, 08:34 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Dec 23 2004, 08:28 PM)
At the end of red lenses, during the fade at the very end, Geddy starts this sort of rap, can't tell what he says though. I can only hear it with headphones.

AWESOME!! I've got to check that out.

Just did. Very nice! yes.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (war2112 @ Jan 24 2005, 08:47 PM)

- The Enemy Within: Geddy's vocal "p-p-pounding" in rhythm with Neils hits is just so freaking cool.

- The Pass: Alex's triumphant soaring notes at the end of his solo never fails to give me some of the biggest goose bumps I'm sure to ever have.

- Analog Kid: Alex throwing everything but the kitchen sink into that frenzied solo

- Time Stand Still: Aimee Mann's ethereal vocals (also putting her mouth singing those words on video at concert - a treat)

On the Live side...

Opening with "Thus Spake Zarathustra" has got to be the most fist-pumping openings in the history of mankind. I especially loved it when they showed the nut and bolt from Counterparts coming together in time with the music. Truly awe-inspiring and creative.

goodpost.gif Kick ass post!!

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 24 2005, 09:58 PM)

On the Live side...

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (yyz @ Jan 24 2005, 09:37 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 24 2005, 09:58 PM)

On the Live side...

goodpost.gif

yes.gif goodpost.gif trink39.gif

My personal favourites:

- The live version of Natural Science from "Different Stages," at the sudden transition from acoustic guitar to acoustic & bass to electric & bass; it's just so...powerful

- The keyboards entry Grand Designs

- The opening fade-in sequence of Hemispheres; I never know how loud it's going to end up tongue.gif

- Geddy's voice during the monologues of Double Agent; he sounds so...evil

That's all I can think of right now biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Magnus @ Jan 25 2005, 12:02 AM)
My personal favourites:

- The live version of Natural Science from "Different Stages," at the sudden transition from acoustic guitar to acoustic & bass to electric & bass; it's just so...powerful

- The keyboards entry Grand Designs

- The opening fade-in sequence of Hemispheres; I never know how loud it's going to end up tongue.gif

- Geddy's voice during the monologues of Double Agent; he sounds so...evil

That's all I can think of right now biggrin.gif

Cool!!!

Welcome to the board!!

trink39.gif trink39.gif

I've got a couple of faves:

Circumstances- the keyboard melody in the middle of the song, reminds me of a carnival or merry-go-round or something festive.

YYZ- the keyboard chords played on synthesizer during the bridge of the song; I like the fatness of the chords VERY ANALOG!!!

Vital Signs- The high notes played on the keyboard at the end of the song when Geddy sings "Everybody got, mixed feelings..." Also the guitar chording during this same part is very emotion and poignant.

Lock and Key- this guitar solo is probably the only time in which Alex's work shows through as this album and Power Windows were heavily laden with synths. Listen to it if you don't believe me.

Finally, I love the organ noise at the beginning of Animate, off Counterparts. Counterparts is probably the last great album they did IMO.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 3 2004, 12:32 PM)
Listening to Natural Science today (first time for a while) I was struck by the vocal effects used during Hyperspace. For the 'Quantum leap forward' verse there's a sort of reverse echo effect used which I think is a fnatastic treatment for a vocal track (I don't know what the proper term for it is). Later, during the 'Computerised clinic' verse, if you listen carefully, you can hear a strange 1970s Science-Fiction computer sound that I love as well.

I know what you're talking about in that part of Natural Science! It sounds like piccolo or pan pipes or something tinkly. You are very observant.

The first thing that hit my mind when I saw this subject is the 12-string acoustic guitar underneath the main riff in 2112: Overture. I never even noticed it until I listened to it one day with headphones on.. Now I notice it whenever I hear it.. I love when Alex does that. It added to the richness of the sound.

It's the part that goes "da na na na na na, HEY!, da na na na na na, HEY!".. On the studio version....You can really hear that 12-string acoustic going crazy during that part.

2.gif

And more great sounds...

The beginning to Before And After

The 'growling' sound in By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Various sounds from The Necromancer and The Fountain Of Lamneth

Opening to 2112

The whispering in The Twilight Zone

The opening to Xanadu

Various sounds from Cygnus X-1

Cygnus: The Bringer Of Balance from Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres

The 'blocks' in The Trees

The chorus in The Spirit Of Radio

'Second' part of Jacob's Ladder

The beginning of Hyperspace in Natural Science

Beginning to Tom Sawyer

The motor sounds in Red Barchetta

The opening to YYZ and the 'plywood' sound in the same song.

The city noises in The Camera Eye

Mob sounds in Witch Hunt

Opening to Vital Signs

Opening to Signals

Awesome guitar solo in The Analog Kid

Opening to The Weapon

Opening to New World Man

The conversation over the radio in Countdown

Opening to Distant Early Warning

Drums during solo in Afterimage

The 'disco' noises in Red Sector A

Synthesizers in Red Lenses

The opening to Between The Wheels

Synthesizers from The Big Money

Opening to Grand Designs

The guitar in Manhattan Project

Various sounds in Territories

Synthesizers in Middletown Dreams

Opening to Emotion Detector

Various sounds in Mystic Rhythms

Various sounds in Force Ten

Opening to Lock And Key

Opening to Tai Shan

Opening to Show Don't Tell

Alex's backwards solo in Chain Lightning, and the deep voice that says 'That's nice.' at the end

Geddy Lee's 'Hey!' in Scars

Chorus to Presto

Deep voice in Supercouductor

Opening to Dreamline

Drums in Bravado

Drums during the 'rap' section of Roll The Bones

Guitar solo in Face Up

Various sounds in Where's My Thing?

Opening to The Big Wheel

Opening to Heresy

Opening and ending to Neurotica

The counting in Animate

"Out of my nose" intro to Alien Shore

Opening to The Speed Of Love

Geddy's deep voice in Double Agent

Various sounds in Leave That Thing Alone!

Opening to Test For Echo

Guitar on Driven

Mandola on Half The World

Hammer dulcimer in Resist

Chain sounds in Limbo

Opening to One Little Victory

Guitar in Ceiling Unlimited

Opening to Ghost Rider

Opening to Peaceable Kingdom

Various sounds in The Stars Look Down

Opening to How It Is

Opening to Vapor Trail

Opening to Secret Touch

Guitar in Earthshine

Opening to Nocturne

Opening to Freeze

Ending to Out Of The Cradle

Edited to add stuff from previous post.

Edited by sfuentes

Spirit of Radio - Flanger or Phaser effect pedal for main riff; piano at end of the tune (barely audible on RiR even with Dolby 5.1 and a surround sound system).

YYZ - the sound of a whip cracking air/gunshot followed by breaking glass; synth motiff before outro. Alex's choice of improvising with the 8-Tone Spanish Scale is truly indicative of his creative prowess. It reveals a new facet of the song, all being nicely tied together by the aforementioned synth section. Sweet!

Anthem - intro riff; odd time meters are my favorite!

Natural Science - sounds of nature

The Pass - acoustic & studio versions, the entire guitar arrangement is so moving and complimentary to the story told by the lyrics. One of Geddy's most passionate deliveries.

Earthshine - intro riff; my God that is one of the heaviest sounds I've heard from Alex. I caught myself headbanging on the first listen. Pounding!

Time Stand Still - odd time meter again; guitar parts are intense and perhaps Alex's best rhythm playing up to that album; subtle keyboard motiffs throughout; Aimee Mann's contribution.

Tai Shan/Mystic Rhythms - WOW! Talk about a song's power to take you on a voyeuristic journey of China/Far East.

Tom Sawyer - that opening synth line truly does not prepare the listener for the direction the song takes! Totally threatening and ominous.

Limelight - Fat, fat, fat tone from Alex here. One of my most favorite riffs to play and his guitar solo: tasty, tasty, tasty!

2112 - Overwhelming! Being a musician, I've always noticed Alex's penchant for layering an acoustic guitar track underneath his electric. This outing ranks as one of the best examples of layered textures.

Fly By Night - The simple, opening chords with such a lush humbucker pickup sound and then BAM! Geddy's bass riff is tops in complimenting the groove thrown down by Neil. Another example of layered textures (electric rhythm guitar parts over matching acoustic rhythm guitar parts). That song leaves me drooling for more to this day!

Bravado - mmmmm, Bravado

Roll The Bones - the keyboard riff during the skeletal rap section: how appropriate. Alex's guitar is sounding mighty beefy here; makes quite the statement. I adore the vocal harmonies in this tune.

Countdown - all of the sound effects of a launch. I live 15 minutes from the Space Center so each time I know a launch is planned, I load the CD and start playing the tune at the moment of liftoff; very cool. The synth riffs, main synth intro line, the lyrics. An astonishing song.

The Big Money - the thick keyboard arrangements complete with stabs, jolts, soaring runs and the unrelenting bass line. These guys are utterly the masters of rocking in 6/4 time.

La Villa - after the introduction, and a blistering classical guitar solo it is, the keyboard parts that set the tone for the emerging main theme (sadly missing on RiR version). Geddy's bass solos throughout. The utterly amazing tightness of drum and bass licks. This one, among many others, leaves me breathless.

Whew! I'm drained at the emotions and memories dredged up by this outing. Excellent thread!

Peace

On Different Stages, disc 3, Alex let's it rip on Xanadu around the 8:41 mark.

I always get a kick out of Geddy when he sings "Waiting for the world to end"

while trying not to laugh. It's if he turned his and asked, "What the hell was that".

QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 4 2004, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Dec 4 2004, 05:01 PM)
Has anyone mentioned the inhale during Bangkok at 1:50...sounds like someone cashin a one-hitter...er, so I'm told.

Oh I've GOT to give that a listen. laugh.gif

ROLINDA!!!!!!!!!!

In all my years of listening to this song I've never heard it before!! Until today!! My ear always stayed on Alex - but it's so clear now!! laugh.gif WAHOOOO - so f'ing cool.

653.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Dec 23 2004, 08:28 PM)
At the end of red lenses, during the fade at the very end, Geddy starts this sort of rap, can't tell what he says though. I can only hear it with headphones.

I HEAR IT! It's so awesome!! I don't know if he's actually sayin' something or if he's just scattin'. I thought I could make out the words "under my bed" but I'm not sure.

You know what??? this is a job for MUSICinTheABsTrAcT. I love what he does with extended fade outs and stuff. Hey buddy.... anything you can do with this? new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 27 2005, 08:04 AM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 4 2004, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Dec 4 2004, 05:01 PM)
Has anyone mentioned the inhale during Bangkok at 1:50...sounds like someone cashin a one-hitter...er, so I'm told.

Oh I've GOT to give that a listen. laugh.gif

ROLINDA!!!!!!!!!!

In all my years of listening to this song I've never heard it before!! Until today!! My ear always stayed on Alex - but it's so clear now!! laugh.gif WAHOOOO - so f'ing cool.

653.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif 653.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Yeah-heah, Pags!!! http://media.theinsiders.com/Media/Other/261841_bong.GIF

That really was a great idea for a thread. I love learning about new things to listen for. They're like the prize at the bottom of the Cracker Jack box. smile.gif

Way to go, Paganoman! trink39.gif

2.gif

(edited to load another bowl)

Edited by Rolinda Bonz

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Feb 16 2005, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Feb 16 2005, 10:20 PM)
Anyone else notice the "static" in the beginning of DEW?

YES and all through the 80's I thought my tape was bad, then got the CD years later and discovered it's just the song laugh.gif

laugh.gif I always thot I had a short in the speaker wires somewhere until I got my new one.