Children of Men

alphseeker

biggrin.gif They played The Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson in the movie, and it got a fair amount of playtime! (Much more than, say, The Spirit of Radio in the Trailer Park Boys Movie, which was a disappointingly short playtime.) Edited by Finbar

*** SPOILER ALERT! ***

My friend Steph read the book it's based on. Apparently in the book, men were infertile, and in the movie, they change that to women being infertile. Why the devil would they change a detail like that?

QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 14 2007, 12:53 PM)
*** SPOILER ALERT! ***

My friend Steph read the book it's based on. Apparently in the book, men were infertile, and in the movie, they change that to women being infertile. Why the devil would they change a detail like that?

maybe they felt they had to add more of a female element to appeal a wider audience and to highlight the importance of the girl even more.

One man can impregnate a whole bunch of women but the possibility of finding the only women alive who is fertile seems even more amazing -

Edited by alphseeker

I read the book waaay back in the 90s, and I was psyched about the movie. Let me tell you, this is the first, if only, case where I thought the movie was better.

Oh, and for the fertility switch? Whether this is the reason or not, with my feeble knowledge of reproductive sciences, I think that if females were still fertile, we could clone people, because you can clone something from any bodily tissue. But if women were infertile, you couldn't clone because you need to use eggs... I think. I could be wrong.

See the movie "Aeon Flux" for details on what would happen.

I rented it yesterday, and I think I'm going to go rewatch it in a couple minutes, even though it's getting kind of late even over here on the West Coast.

Definitely my favorite film of '06, although I saw it in theatres for the first time just this January.

Excellent movie, extremely ambitious. Ambitious doesn't always mean good, but this one is both. Very disturbing, great cast, awesome artistic style.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jan 8 2007, 12:05 AM)
Amazing movie. One of the best I've seen. Almost on the level of V for Vendetta, I'd say; the two are similar and yet much different.

Children of Men is a great film I think. It's one of those that seems to require multiple viewings in order to catch all that goes on. I think it's waaaayyy better than V for Vendetta, I was so looking forward to V but it left me underwhelmed and fell a bit flat for me. I may have to give it another go on DVD.

I watched this movie tonight, and was moved beyond words. Beautiful imagery and symbolism...an extremely powerful film.