How would you feel if Rush have gone in thrash

treeduck

Well 2112 was the first Prog metal album by rush.. and Vapor Trails was very edgy, stepping into metal a little bit with some of the songs, but Virtuality is Far from thrash. theres nothing thrashy about it.

Ah.. I like the thrash metal.. mostly old school stuff. I always imagined what Rush could do with it. But when it comes right down to it, I wouldn't want it- maybe some elements of thrash would be alright. I like Rush the way they are. And, if anything, the new Rush will be more Porcupine Treeish than Opethy IMO. P.S. If anyone wants to hear a really good album by Opeth without the cookie monster vocs, I recommend the Damnation Album. Good playing on it and clean vocals throughout. Happy New Year everyone!

I'd probably try it out... if I plugged my ears when listening to it, then I definitely would turn on something else by Rush.. but if my ears are still open, then hey: I wouldn't care.

ph34r.gif 2.gif ph34r.gif

1287.gif 2.gif 1287.gif

By the Way: I like Virtuality... and I disagree with your desicion on it. scared.gif

QUOTE (Melll @ Jan 2 2007, 11:11 PM)
I dunno about thrash, but I'd like to see Neil do more double-bass drumming.

Neil acutally does alot of double bass drumming, not in the way of metal double bass where its constant, he throws it in where he believes it works the best, like durring fills. if you listen to alot of his fills, he throws the occasional 32nd tripplet in there or a 16th tripplet, to fill up more room, and also to show case his drumming abilities. If you listen to closer to the heart on Different Stages, you can hear him double bass stright, not doing it in bursts like he usually does. Neil can and is a very good double bassist, but i think he likes to save it. like lifeson, the Spirit of the radio solo is very fast, and Lifeson goes very fast in some solos, again i believe that he is holding back, to create a mystery of how fast he can really play.... 2.gif

I know this is heresy on here, and strange coming from someone for whom Rush has been numero uno for 25 years, but Rush have nowhere near the modern Metal musical chops to do a real Opeth-like album. Nor could could they write songs like that. They're simply not good enough. Especially now, in their mid 50s. And I'm sure if you asked them indivually, they'd absolutely agree. Sorry. Saying all that felt horrible.

They're still my all time favourite band tho!!!!!

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 2 2007, 07:08 PM)
How would you feel if Rush went disco like the Bee Gees or Kiss?

What if Rush went out like Genesis, Chicago, or The Doobie Brothers and went with a commercially friendly vocalist that liked to sing nothing but love songs?

I'd feel f*ckin marvelous!!!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Jan 3 2007, 12:40 PM)
I have not listened to Opeth too much, but I'd say as long as they stayed somewhat original and hopefully a bit progressive I'd be all for it. wink.gif

You want to try them out mate they're great...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 3 2007, 01:16 PM)
I have not listened to Opeth too much, but I'd say as long as they stayed somewhat original and hopefully a bit progressive I'd be all for it.  wink.gif

Yeah, my bassist swears by them and porcupine tree. Porcupine tree seems too mellow for me. Opeth, thought, were a little cliche with some of the scale climbs and vocals, but I have heard stuff by them I really do like. Or am I thinking of Symphony X? I should sit down and give Opeth another chance. Come to think of it I've got a dvd of theirs and I couldn't even sit thru it. I thought it was boring as hell. I'd venture to say that performance was as bad as something I'd see Tiles (see Magna Carta records) do. No, prolly not that bad, but still. I think I'll watch it again. Maybe sitting there watching it with my ex who had just come out of a drastic breast reduction surgery spoiled my mindset. hmmm I think I'm perhaps the worst rambler on TRF. Can I get an award for that? cool10.gif

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Jan 3 2007, 03:23 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 3 2007, 01:16 PM)
I have not listened to Opeth too much, but I'd say as long as they stayed somewhat original and hopefully a bit progressive I'd be all for it.  wink.gif

Yeah, my bassist swears by them and porcupine tree. Porcupine tree seems too mellow for me. Opeth, thought, were a little cliche with some of the scale climbs and vocals, but I have heard stuff by them I really do like. Or am I thinking of Symphony X? I should sit down and give Opeth another chance. Come to think of it I've got a dvd of theirs and I couldn't even sit thru it. I thought it was boring as hell. I'd venture to say that performance was as bad as something I'd see Tiles (see Magna Carta records) do. No, prolly not that bad, but still. I think I'll watch it again. Maybe sitting there watching it with my ex who had just come out of a drastic breast reduction surgery spoiled my mindset. hmmm I think I'm perhaps the worst rambler on TRF. Can I get an award for that? cool10.gif

Porcupine Tree are great as well and while they are certainly mellower than Opeth, their last two albums feature some very powerful stuff that enters into the realms of metal so I'd recommend you getting Deadwing and In Abstenia, then if you like those get the new one (out 16 April) and see how you get on. As for Opeth get Ghost Reveries and Blackwater Park and maybe Still Life and again see how you get on.

You'll love the drummers in these bands too, even Bill Bruford admires Gavin Harrison says he's a "demon" at "metric modulation, illusion and superimposition..."

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 2 2007, 07:08 PM)
How would you feel if Rush went disco like the Bee Gees or Kiss?

What if Rush went out like Genesis, Chicago, or The Doobie Brothers and went with a commercially friendly vocalist that liked to sing nothing but love songs?

If either of those things happened, I would disown them instantly (that album, anyway).

QUOTE (Retrospective @ Jan 2 2007, 08:10 PM)
I'd probably try it out... if I plugged my ears when listening to it, then I definitely would turn on something else by Rush.. but if my ears are still open, then hey: I wouldn't care.

ph34r.gif  2.gif  ph34r.gif

1287.gif  2.gif  1287.gif

By the Way: I like Virtuality... and I disagree with your desicion on it.  scared.gif

Just don't plug your ears to the truth. msn_sheep.png b_sigh.gif

And you're right, Virtuality rocks!!! But thrash? Perhaps the guitar riff in question is of that style, but certainly not the song.

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Jan 4 2007, 12:28 AM)
But thrash? Perhaps the guitar riff in question is of that style, but certainly not the song.

Yep just the guitar riff...

Obviously not the "net boy net girl" part for sure...

Archived