Thin Lizzy!

Riv

Typical, I go on holiday for a week and a Lizzy thread is started while I'm gone.

I was lucky enough to see them live three times - Slane Castle 1981 (with U2 as support act) and the two farewell Irish dates in Dublin in 1983.

I was also at the 10th anniversary 'Vibe for Philo' in 1996 which marked the first time Downey / Gorham / Sykes / Wharton reunited on stage. Eric Bell played a storming set of early stuff with his band as well.

I wrote about an aspect of it HERE in the "Live show mistakes" thread.

Coincidentally Riv, you get a mention by association in this one.

I was lucky enough to meet Phil once, in 1984. he was playing in Waterford with the short lived band 'Grand Slam', I was at the venue with a DJ friend picking up some equipment, the band were soundchecking with a version of 'A White Shade Of Pale', Phil came down and asked our opinion of the sound!!!!!.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jan 7 2007, 04:00 AM)
Typical, I go on holiday for a week and a Lizzy thread is started while I'm gone.

I was lucky enough to see them live three times - Slane Castle 1981 (with U2 as support act) and the two farewell Irish dates in Dublin in 1983.

I was also at the 10th anniversary 'Vibe for Philo' in 1996 which marked the first time Downey / Gorham / Sykes / Wharton reunited on stage. Eric Bell played a storming set of early stuff with his band as well.

I was lucky enough to meet Phil once, in 1984. he was playing in Waterford with the short lived band 'Grand Slam', I was at the venue with a DJ friend picking up some equipment, the band were soundchecking with a version of 'A White Shade Of Pale', Phil came down and asked our opinion of the sound!!!!!.

That's awesome, Madra!

QUOTE (Riv @ Jan 6 2007, 09:47 PM)
QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jan 7 2007, 04:00 AM)

That's awesome, Madra!

Truly awesome! 1022.gif So what did you guys tell Phil?

http://www.trcjt.ca/ab950/lizzy4/74germ01.jpg

Now we know what really killed Phil... drinking Windex!

Lizzy was my 1st concert......I think it was 81/82 - Whitla Hall, Belfast (Queens University)

I was 15/16 and I was right at the front, middle - I will always remember Phil that night when he bounced the spotlight beam off his bass all round the crowd - superb!

Line up was Snowy White, Scott Goram, Phil Lynott & Brian Downey

QUOTE (nebbish @ Jan 11 2007, 10:13 AM)
Lizzy was my 1st concert......I think it was 81/82 - Whitla Hall, Belfast (Queens University)
I was 15/16 and I was right at the front, middle - I will always remember Phil that night when he bounced the spotlight beam off his bass all round the crowd - superb!
Line up was Snowy White, Scott Goram, Phil Lynott & Brian Downey

I know the Brian Robertson period is the most celebrated, but I really liked the 1980/81 era with Snowy White and the Chinatown and Renegade albums they produced. I particularly dig Renegade...

The U2 biography, Unforgettable Fire written by Eamon Dunphy is laced with stories of Thin Lizzy . Matter of fact near the end of the book theres a brief chapter by Fintan O'Toole entitled Don't Believe A Word: The Life And Death Of Phil Lynott. Great band , I have Jail Break, Black Rose and Renegade "Angel Of Death" 1022.gif Edited by softfilter

i was offered a ticket to see their last show at the hammersmith odeon (the one released as Life Live) and for a reason i can't even remember now never went. i always thought they would get back together and i would see them then. what a mistake. one of the few bands i regret never having seen live sad.gif

i did see mr lynott come on stage with gary moore though. they played out in the fields, military man and parisienne walkways which was an incredible moment.

Philip Parris Lynott passed away 23 years ago today.

PHILO, we, indeed, remember you while you're away - thousands and thousands of people around the globe who you touched with your music and words. And it seems fitting to post the lyrics you wrote about another icon so many years ago, as it most definitely describes how so many of us feel tonight.... We shall miss you and we raise a glass to you today, tonight!

-KING'S CALL-

It was a rainy night the night the king went down

Everybody was crying it seemed like sadness had surrounded the town

Me I went to the liquor store

And I bought a bottle of wine and a bottle of gin

I played his records all night

Drinking with a close, close friend

Now some people say that that ain't right

And some people say nothing at all

But even in the darkest of night

You can always hear the king's call

QUOTE (Riv @ Jan 4 2009, 12:25 PM)
Philip Parris Lynott passed away 23 years ago today.

PHILO, we, indeed, remember you while you're away - thousands and thousands of people around the globe who you touched with your music and words. And it seems fitting to post the lyrics you wrote about another icon so many years ago, as it most definitely describes how so many of us feel tonight.... We shall miss you and we raise a glass to you today, tonight!

-KING'S CALL-
It was a rainy night the night the king went down
Everybody was crying it seemed like sadness had surrounded the town
Me I went to the liquor store
And I bought a bottle of wine and a bottle of gin
I played his records all night
Drinking with a close, close friend

Now some people say that that ain't right
And some people say nothing at all
But even in the darkest of night

Phil still rocks, dead or alive!

1022.gif

RIP Philo

i love lizzy

1022.gif

damn, Ive searched for Thin Lizzy thread on here before and couldn't find one. Im a HUGE Thin Lizzy fan. Rush, The Who and Thin Lizzy are my top 3 fav bands. Such a underrated and sometimes forgotten band. Great talent to come out of that band. The rotation of guitarists really made each album/era sound unique but still have that Thin Lizzy sound. Phil died before I was born so i never saw them live.

Fighting, Black Rose and Chinatown are my favorite albums. great band love em.

RIP Phil

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Jan 4 2009, 02:58 PM)
damn, Ive searched for Thin Lizzy thread on here before and couldn't find one. Im a HUGE Thin Lizzy fan. Rush, The Who and Thin Lizzy are my top 3 fav bands. Such a underrated and sometimes forgotten band. Great talent to come out of that band. The rotation of guitarists really made each album/era sound unique but still have that Thin Lizzy sound. Phil died before I was born so i never saw them live.

Fighting, Black Rose and Chinatown are my favorite albums. great band love em.

RIP Phil

Did you get a copy of this album yet? It's a concert recording from 1975's Fighting tour and it's FURIOUS!! It came out last September, i got my copy back then...

http://www.justforkicks.de/images/products/8244_g.jpg

1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 4 2009, 03:03 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Jan 4 2009, 02:58 PM)
damn, Ive searched for  Thin Lizzy thread on here before and couldn't find one. Im a HUGE Thin Lizzy fan. Rush, The Who and Thin Lizzy are my top 3 fav bands. Such a underrated and sometimes forgotten band. Great talent to come out of that band. The rotation of guitarists really made each album/era sound unique but still have that Thin Lizzy sound. Phil died before I was born so i never saw them live.

Fighting, Black Rose and Chinatown are my favorite albums.  great band love em.

RIP Phil

Did you get a copy of this album yet? It's a concert recording from 1975's Fighting tour and it's FURIOUS!! It came out last September, i got my copy back then...

http://www.justforkicks.de/images/products/8244_g.jpg

1022.gif

No I don't have that album. But I will have to get that very soon. Thanks for letting me know.

I've read reviews that it's better than Live and Dangerous. really? what's your take on it?

Johnny the Fox!

Edited by ozzy85

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Jan 4 2009, 03:33 PM)
I've read reviews that it's better than Live and Dangerous. really? what's your take on it?

Johnny the Fox!

It's not a better setlist because Live and Dangerous benefits from having three more albums of great material. It's rawer though and more explosive and the setlist has a few songs that haven't been heard live very often before.