Geddy's Fender bass tone

treeduck

I keep hearing about Geddy's bass tone, how he should drop his Fenders but whatever you think of his tone, you can't blame the Fenders, Marcus Miller has always used a Fender Jazz bass and always sounded just beautiful, totally lyrical, fantastic in fact. So if you do think Geddy's tone sucks you can't really blame the instrument, so does this mean that maybe you don't like Geddy's playing nowadays?

Psssst don't get controversial on me...

When I used to play myself I had a BC Rich Warlock and it sounded okay through my Peavey stack, but I never had the ability or talent to comment on one of my idols sound. I personally loved his Rickenbacher sound, but the difference to me wasn't that discernible. I never had that much of an ear to rag out someone of Geddy's talent and stature. I may tell friends of mine in other bands that they were muddy or give advice of sorts on improving their sound.

I remember telling a good friend once that his band had the drummer too miked up and all you could hear was the drums. It was all in good faith and was only hoping to let them know there was an improvement to be made. It offended him greatly and he said something to the effect that if I could do a better job... DO IT!!! I learned then, that he was right and to let people guage how they sound for themselves.

As for Fenders... i've never thought they were bad basses. I don't think their sales indicate that they are bad basses either. A few people here use them and I've seen and heard them a lot and never had a complaint. When I played, I guess I was more concerned with image, cuz I was in a metal band, so that's why I had a Warlock. I wouldn't buy one today, but I'd prolly buy a fender.

As for Geddy's playing, since he's always been one of my biggest bass idols and influences, I don't think ANYTHING he does sounds sucky or any other negative comment you can think of. I know that his stuff with Big Dirty Band sounds AWESOME. I only WISH I could play like that. yes.gif

I never worried too much about the tone.

I mean, the guy doesn't settle for something that isn't good enough.

I gotta trust his instincts, after 30 years in the business.

Bass is bass, for crying out loud.

How many real bass tones can there be?

I have a five string Ibanez bass that I love to play, and I just go for a fat bottom end with just enough pop to here the intricate shit, and who really cares how PERFECT it is?

It's bass.

If I remember rightly, he used a fender Jazz on Moving Pictures, and I love the tone on that album.

Although I've switched over to guitar nowadays, I played bass in bands for over fifteen years, and like geds, I just went for the fat bottom end with a bit of pop.

Stick in the odd bit of chorus and bobs your uncle.

QUOTE (Geds @ Oct 15 2006, 03:18 PM)

I have a five string Ibanez bass that I love to play, and I just go for a fat bottom end with just enough pop to here the intricate shit, and who really cares how PERFECT it is?

It's bass.

You're kidding right? "It's bass"??? wtf.gif

You're busting right? I know you're mostly a guitar player and a skin flute player, but you don't really have a low regard for bass do you? biggrin.gif

moon.gif

QUOTE (Geds @ Oct 15 2006, 02:18 PM)

It's bass.

Depends who's playing it mate...

For instance I'm listening to an album now that has a great player on it called Ric Fierabracci on it and he sounds great but totally different to Geddy or Marcus Miller...

Just in case you're wondering, I mentioned Marcus and Ric because they're good but mostly because I happen to be listening to them today, good examples though they are...

Oh yeah the album with Ric on I'm listening to is Joel Hoekstra's the Moon is Falling, great album...

cool.gif

Yours babblingly

Pat - the too much infomation poster of the day...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 15 2006, 03:39 PM)

It's bass.

For instance I'm listening to an album now that has a great player on it called Ric Fierabracci on it and he sounds great but totally different to Geddy or Marcus Miller...

Just in case you're wondering, I mentioned Marcus and Ric because they're good but mostly because I happen to be listening to them today, good examples though they are...

Oh yeah the album with Ric on I'm listening to is Joel Hoekstra's the Moon is Falling, great album...

cool.gif

Yours babblingly

laugh.gif

never too much info. no.gif

well... unless you're goober. z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 15 2006, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 15 2006, 03:39 PM)

It's bass.

cool.gif

Yours babblingly

laugh.gif

never too much info. no.gif

well... unless you're goober. z7shysterical.gif

Yeah run for cover, especially if you're in the chatroom with him and he starts talking about sex...

062802puke_prv.gif no.gif comp26.gif bolt.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 15 2006, 02:29 PM)

It's bass.

You're busting right? I know you're mostly a guitar player and a skin flute player, but you don't really have a low regard for bass do you? biggrin.gif

moon.gif

laugh.gif

Jackass.

I don't have a low regard for bass...

In fact, I am here because I am such a fan of GEDDY...hence the screen name GEDS. (In case you didn't make the connection, there, redneck.)

moon.gif

I just don't see where there is SO MUCH caring about the different bass TONES....it is what it is, period.

Yeah, different basses have different tones, just as different guitars have different tones.

But the user ultimately decides what he likes, and he goes for it.

I will throw this out there for some of you who think the bottom end is not as punchy on the fender bass...

I use Personal Ear Monitors to play....

And too much bottom end overdrives the little speakers too much. Just so you know. It may have something to do with why Geddy is playing the fender so much lately.

But I don't have a clue if that has anything to do with it or not.

like I said, i go for what i like and go with it. It's not as if somebody is going to sit there all day and ANALize the tone of a friggin BASS, is it?

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Geds @ Oct 15 2006, 04:17 PM)

It's bass.

moon.gif

laugh.gif

Jackass.

In fact, I am here because I am such a fan of GEDDY...hence the screen name GEDS. (In case you didn't make the connection, there, redneck.)

moon.gif

I just don't see where there is SO MUCH caring about the different bass TONES....it is what it is, period.

Yeah, different basses have different tones, just as different guitars have different tones.

I will throw this out there for some of you who think the bottom end is not as punchy on the fender bass...

And too much bottom end overdrives the little speakers too much. Just so you know. It may have something to do with why Geddy is playing the fender so much lately.

like I said, i go for what i like and go with it. It's not as if somebody is going to sit there all day and ANALize the tone of a friggin BASS, is it?

ph34r.gif

Ahhh... i see what you are saying now. Thanks for enlightening me. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 15 2006, 03:20 PM)

It's bass.

moon.gif

laugh.gif

Jackass.

moon.gif

ph34r.gif

I know I'm probably being ridiculous but I wonder if this post has reached the Rushgoober classification on the TMI scale...

unsure.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 15 2006, 03:36 PM)

It's bass.

moon.gif

laugh.gif

Jackass.

moon.gif

ph34r.gif

I know I'm probably being ridiculous but I wonder if this post has reached the Rushgoober classification on the TMI scale...

unsure.gif

not even close.

Well, for me, what I love is the big soul-moving bass that goes BOOM - deep, subsonic and loud. But hey, we're talking about bass guitar here so...

The only bass guitar tones I don't care for are the thin ones that merge themselves into the treble tones so I can't really hear what's going on (Grace Under Pressure) or the horrible 'clicky' bass that people like Steve Harris sometimes use - it's very percussive, but I can't actually really hear what notes are being played.

So much of sonics comes down to what your after. For example, you can go for clear separation of sound, as in Hold Your Fire, where you hear what's going on but sacrifice some warmth, or go for a warmer sound but forego some clarity. You really pays your money and take your choice.

Whatever sound you go for will have its own charateristic and emotional effect. It really is just a matter of finding the best sonic for what you want to say.

Disco

QUOTE (Geds @ Oct 15 2006, 03:43 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 15 2006, 03:36 PM)

It's bass.

moon.gif

laugh.gif

Jackass.

moon.gif

ph34r.gif

unsure.gif

not even close.

I knew I was being ridiculous...

laugh.gif

I'm not sure if it is the Bass alone as much as it is a combination of the Bass, Geddy's rig and the tone he is going for.

On Counterparts and Test For Echo, I think the Jazz bass does sound brilliant. However, I don't think it works with everything.

The brilliant tone and playing of Geddy during the Wal years doesn't seem to translate well to his "modern" Jazz bass tone... The solo in Show Don't Tell, for example, has always sounded like mud when played on the Jazz...to me. The same with other songs where a clean, punchy, mid-rangey tone is a trademark.

Those tones are in the Jazz Bass, as evidenced by Jaco, Marcus Miller...etc But, Geddy seems to be going for something else.

I'd comment but too many here don't have the ability to be objective with their thoughts.

Marcus Miller does have a nice tone, I'd say it could have to do with his EQ'ing and maybe whether or not he is playing active or passive electronics.

Bass tone like guitar tone is important. But even if you have a great tone, you can be muddy depending on your technique and how clean you actually play your instrument.

People like Necro unfortunately mistake objective opinions like, "I don't like Geddy's tone" as an insult to his master.

Its not personal, he's one of my idols as well, but I'm at a point in my playing where I can comment on something as "subtle" as tone and you'd be surprised who something so subtle can have such a profound impact on the dynamics the bass can have in a song. If it all sounds muddy, it all sounds muddy, and I'd love to see Geddy's rig and settings to understand what is going wrong behind those curtains when I feel like everything I have ever loved him for:

Show don't Tell solo

Time Stand Still fills

Mission unison with the Mallet Kat

Turn the Page

Big Money

Where's my Thing

Leave the Thing Alone

Signals

etc

what a mess his tone makes of those tunes

so I guess given your theory, Victor Wooten shouldn't be allowed on his 5 string and Bill Buddha Dickens shouldn't play his 7 or 9 strings, Tommy Kennedy shouldn't be allowed his 5 string?

I am bent on tone because iwhen it sucks ts like talking to a hot chick and she opens up her mouth and has horrible breath and the worst hoarse voice when

I know the chords but I am not a guitarist, I just know how to connect the dots and play the tensions to make the music sound cool. And given your attempt at antagonizing me, I guess you contradict yourself because you are saying basically with more strings, why am I a melodic player when that is a guitarists job........well, why don't you write fan mail to Geddy and ask him what the hell he is thinking on YYZ or anything else where he steps up in the register.

See, I have more strings than 4 because I do more than just play Rush songs. I double chords up top, solo across the range, as well as play low end grooves.

Everyone can do what they want, there is no right or wrong way, but that's my way and that's the only way that I care about!

QUOTE (Geds @ Oct 15 2006, 10:08 PM)
Honest question, Random.....

If you are SO bent over about TONE, and you don't think 4 strings is enough for a bass......

Why the hell aren't you a guitar player?

I know this isn't for me, but I played bass because I had big hands and i really sucked at chording a little six string. Bass just suited my size more. But once I began to love bass, then I personally felt that too much bass could be a bad thing. I really don't care for the Steve Harris way of playing or even the guy from DT. I think it's too much and hurts the song. It's basically showing off and who needs it. I think most rockers realize that rock is guitar driven and we don't need excessive chording or soloing from Steve Harris or DeMaio from ManoWar. It winds up being bad. THAT i feel I know enough to comment on.

QUOTE (melodic777 @ Oct 15 2006, 09:25 PM)
so I guess given your theory, Victor Wooten shouldn't be allowed on his 5 string and Bill Buddha Dickens shouldn't play his 7 or 9 strings, Tommy Kennedy shouldn't be allowed his 5 string?

I am bent on tone because iwhen it sucks ts like talking to a hot chick and she opens up her mouth and has horrible breath and the worst hoarse voice when

I know the chords but I am not a guitarist, I just know how to connect the dots and play the tensions to make the music sound cool. And given your attempt at antagonizing me, I guess you contradict yourself because you are saying basically with more strings, why am I a melodic player when that is a guitarists job........well, why don't you write fan mail to Geddy and ask him what the hell he is thinking on YYZ or anything else where he steps up in the register.

See, I have more strings than 4 because I do more than just play Rush songs. I double chords up top, solo across the range, as well as play low end grooves.

Everyone can do what they want, there is no right or wrong way, but that's my way and that's the only way that I care about!

You are wrong about my intent....

I was really curious why you weren't a guitar player.

I wasn't trying to antagonize you.

Face it, guitar players seem to have more outlet for their talent, whereas bass players have to pretty much play what the band is capable of.

In other words, If you really want to be a jam-up bassist and get any recognition, you really have to have a great drummer to back you up, and a great guitarist to play the type of music that showcases your ability.

But as a guitar player, you can do so many more good songs and really don't have to have that great a band to showcase yourself.

I will give you this, however, those excellent musicians are easier to find in a huge city like NY.

Out here around St. Louis, you could be the best bass player in the state....and still not be able to find work.

Just trying to make a point.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 15 2006, 10:30 PM)
QUOTE (Geds @ Oct 15 2006, 10:08 PM)
Honest question, Random.....

If you are SO bent over about TONE, and you don't think 4 strings is enough for a bass......

Why the hell aren't you a guitar player?

I know this isn't for me, but I played bass because I had big hands and i really sucked at chording a little six string. Bass just suited my size more. But once I began to love bass, then I personally felt that too much bass could be a bad thing. I really don't care for the Steve Harris way of playing or even the guy from DT. I think it's too much and hurts the song. It's basically showing off and who needs it. I think most rockers realize that rock is guitar driven and we don't need excessive chording or soloing from Steve Harris or DeMaio from ManoWar. It winds up being bad. THAT i feel I know enough to comment on.

Funny thing is that Myung only leaves the lower register when he has to jump up to add a voicing that accompanies the guitar or keys, sometimes to do unison work.

Nothing personal but if you knew more about how bass works in an ensemble, then you would know that Myung's use in the context of Dream Theater is right on. He is never too much and always is doing what the song needs, just like Geddy does for Rush.

I have yet to hear Myung do too much actually, I am always hoping he'll do more but he's got perfect balance in that project.

Guess you know more than Tom Kennedy of the Dave Weckl band too where he plays 4s and 5 string basses and is all over them. But then you also know more than Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorious, Vic Wooten, Jeff Berlin, Chris Squire and others.

I have been taught by my teacher that everything is in relation to the context of that given piece of music.

An example of an excellent player in many different contexts.

Just listen to his different tracks and one includes Derek Sherinian's Moonbabies.

Berlin

Rufus Philpot

Edited by melodic777