Neil's Books

deadwing2112

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 25 2007, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (The O' Sullivan Factor @ Feb 24 2007, 11:49 PM)
Wait, which book does he jab at Americans in? I just got "Travelling Music" and am really enjoying it, but I'll make that one my next purchase.

"Ghost Rider." He has some words about fat and lazy Americans.

Some fans were upset about it and subsequently gave the book - and Neil's perceived snobbery - bad reviews on bulletin boards and on Amazon.

Personally, it didn't bother me at all. He's kinda right.

I remeber him talking about lesbians in that book also.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 25 2007, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (The O' Sullivan Factor @ Feb 24 2007, 11:49 PM)
Wait, which book does he jab at Americans in? I just got "Travelling Music" and am really enjoying it, but I'll make that one my next purchase.

"Ghost Rider." He has some words about fat and lazy Americans.

Some fans were upset about it and subsequently gave the book - and Neil's perceived snobbery - bad reviews on bulletin boards and on Amazon.

Personally, it didn't bother me at all. He's kinda right.

Kinda wrong also. dazed025.gif

QUOTE (The O' Sullivan Factor @ Feb 25 2007, 09:09 PM)
I dunno, I think he's right too, at least in my area anyways. As with any label, it doesn't work ALL of the time, but Neil HAS been all over the place, and can likely see a bigger picture than we (well me anyways) can.

I don't think it's completely false theres always examples that hold true.

But don't believe you can justify a stereotype based on appearance.

Have a hunch there's TRF members who might be on the heavy side taking offense to being labeled a "fat and lazy American"

I don't care how worldly Neil is, you have to KNOW someone before forming this conclusion. Neil doesn't like complete strangers saying what kind of person he is(this included tongue.gif ) So why does it ring true if he say's it about others? PAINT THE MIRROR BLACK.

Btw I know plenty of hard working large people and equally lazy skinny as a tooth pick individuals, to me it's just not a factor and is wrong to base this on the type of person he or she is.

And like I said and it bears repeating, Neil might not feel this way at all and was written during a time of personal pain, alienation and yes anger. We all have said things that have been a product of these emotions and didn't really meant. Still it made me cringe when I read it.

Won't change the fact I'm a loyal 2.gif fan that's were it starts and ends... yes.gif

Edited by softfilter

I tried to read Ghost Rider when it first came out, I thought it was a hard read, maybe cause I had just started high school..but it seemed way too deep for me at that time. Since then I have read Traveling Music, which I loved, and am currently reading Roadshow, which I think has been better that TM so far. I may go back and restart GR after I finish Roadshow.

I liked Masked Rider the best, though I haven't read Roadshow yet. It seems like Neil is in serious need of an editor coming in and saying "cut these parts out" and trimming things up. He tends to get caught up in mentioning the most benign things without moving the story along at all. Masked Rider seemed to be much more concise than the others.

As far as him talking about fat people I'd cut him some slack. He seems like a pretty reality based guy. He's just calling them as he sees them.

just got done reading Raodshow. great read, likeed it more than GR for two small reasons....

the letters to Brutus in GR got tiring. and RS had more to do with Rush. biggrin.gif

but otherwise, good read. gonna take some time off of reading his stuff and read some other things....but after a year or so....ill be back on to read TM and TMR.

RoadShow more enjoyable and easier read then Ghost Rider(Haven't read MaskedRider orTraveling Music)

Even his travelogue I found interesting, except the European leg of the tour which got tiresome with the" lifestyles of the rich and famous" descriptions 4 star hotels, elegant dining experiences. I was ready for Alex to signal zero shows left to end this book.

Neil didn't bog the reader down with microscopic details on EVERYTHING.

Like he did with Ghost Rider, but he still managed to discuss things as bland and not book worthy as how he moves differently in warmer southern United States climes and his pace .... eyesre4.gif schla03.gif

His anti religion preaching was quiet annoying, especially when early on in the book he said no one wants to hear him blab on about it and he's not going to change anyones beliefs anyway. But he continues to do it for the rest of the book and then with the new cd Snakes&Arrows. Which in "general terms" is in direct conflict with his political leanings which he let it be known in Road Show.

Yes, I did actually like this book, Neil has humor and wit,and it was wonderful to know he really does appreciate and notice the fans in concert. Personally didn't think he noticed anyone except the work at hand, with that stoney expression of concentration.

Good,but I feel no reason to read his other books or any he puts out in the near future.

My favourite is Ghost Rider. Roadshow was pretty tiresome, trite, and repetitive, while his first is made somewhat interesting by the exotic material. A better drummer and lyricist than he is a writer of prose. It often seems so belaboured and self-conscious.

I've read Ghost Rider and enjoyed Masked Rider.

I plan to get Roadshow just because Traveling Music doesn't happen on tour.

Might just wait until the illustrated guide comes out and the publisher does the eventual "mega edition" in the Fall for Christmas or something.