Neil's Books

deadwing2112

Roadshow - completed in four days. I loved it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working part-time at Borders right now, and somebody bought "Roadshow" today.

"Good choice," I told her. "Is it a gift for somebody?"

"Yeah, it's a gift."

"So you're not the Rush fan?"

"Well, I like Rush," she said. Then I told her that the book was on my Christmas list this year, too. I'll probably get it.

My favorite was "Traveling Music." I think the books are getting better, with more Rush and music talk, and less of the boring travelogue stuff: rock formations, trees, plants, bird watching, the history of small towns passed through, etc. Yawners!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 18 2006, 11:17 PM)
I'm working part-time at Borders right now, and somebody bought "Roadshow" today.

"Yeah, it's a gift."
"Well, I like Rush," she said. Then I told her that the book was on my Christmas list this year, too. I'll probably get it.

My favorite was "Traveling Music." I think the books are getting better, with more Rush and music talk, and less of the boring travelogue stuff: rock formations, trees, plants, bird watching, the history of small towns passed through, etc. Yawners!

I guess I have a bit of the travel bug myself. If time and money were no object, I'd love to recreate (most) of the GR trail. The variety of places and landscapes and cultures within our own borders and continent is so diverse and unexplored.

While I dont always agree with some of Neil's observations on the people (taken with a grain of salt from the tragic POV they were made under) his vivid descriptions of the scenery is almost as good as being there. I enjoy the histiorical parts of TM as a Rush fan but I want more of the travelouge stuff. I thought Roadshow was a nice balance b/w the two. Definitely didnt last long enough. Blasted through it in about 3 days.

More Neil MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The one I'm most interested in is Roadshow, as I want the insight into Rush on the road, however there are some abominable reviews on Amazon:

Click

I'm big enough to go past these points of view, but I did find the negative reviews interesting.

I just received "Roadshow" for Christmas, so I began reading it today.

QUOTE (Melll @ Dec 24 2006, 01:29 PM)
The one I'm most interested in is Roadshow, as I want the insight into Rush on the road

if your looking for insight on rush on the road, forget it, but if you want neil to read church signs that he passes by on his motercycle to you then this is the book for you.

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 25 2006, 01:20 PM)
The one I'm most interested in is Roadshow, as I want the insight into Rush on the road

if your looking for insight on rush on the road, forget it, but if you want neil to read church signs that he passes by on his motercycle to you then this is the book for you.

"Traveling Music" actually contained a lot of interesting personal information, including a biographical chapter (which was an extended version of Neil's "Port Boy's Story" newspaper article) and a chapter about Neil's experiences in London as a young man (we knew he had spent time living there, but here - at last - he gives us the details).

I'm not sure yet how much interesting Rush-stuff is available in "Roadshow"; I just began reading it. But I'm with you - more personal Rush and Neil Peart information, please, and less 'travelogue' stuff; I can only read so many paragraphs about rocks, trees, foliage, birds, and the histories of small towns he passes through. Yawn. (And motorcycle maintenance ain't too interesting, either.)

Generally speaking, I think his books are moving in the right direction content-wise.

I heard a radio interview with Neil when the book was released and the DJ commented on how personal he got with the info that he provided on the band. I have had the book since Sept. and I still haven't had that much chance to get to it, because of illness. I too like to read info on the band as there is so little released for us fans.

smile.gif Well I am about a third of the way through GHOST RIDER and I am enjoying it quite a bit. I like Neil's story telling style.

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 25 2006, 01:20 PM)

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 18 2006, 11:17 PM)

"Good choice," I told her.  "Is it a gift for somebody?"
"Yeah, it's a gift."
"Well, I like Rush," she said.  Then I told her that the book was on my Christmas list this year, too.  I'll probably get it.

My favorite was "Traveling Music."  I think the books are getting better, with more Rush and music talk, and less of the boring travelogue stuff: rock formations, trees, plants, bird watching, the history of small towns passed through, etc.  Yawners!

Uhm... it's not a book about Rush.. it's a book about Neil's travels. unsure.gif

Any of the books he's written... Traveling Music... Ghost Rider... Masked Rider... all of those are about his travels. eh.gif

Edited by Retrospective

Well, they're all great books. Extremely well-written. I would recommend them to anyone who likes Rush, Neil, and insightful writing. cool.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 19 2006, 07:17 AM)

"Yeah, it's a gift."

Wow, what a great story.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 25 2006, 01:11 PM)
I just received "Roadshow" for Christmas, so I began reading it today.

I received a Borders gift card for Christmas and purchased Roadshow and what I thought was a greatest hit Cheap Trick cd, it was but all live versions of songs(Silver) didn't have anything on front or back cover that told this!!! rage.gif Even though it was a gift card dissapointed could of got RoadShow cheaper at Rush backstage club. Received several history books for Christmas so I'll probably get to Neils book around late spring, just in time for new RUSH cd... I hope. smile.gif

New Rush Backstage Club contest

The latest Rush Backstage Club contest is finally up. The winner of the Autographed Neil Peart poster was Cheryl Banas from Illinois. Here are the new contest details from the site:

This is the hardcover edition of Neil's book The Masked Rider. Neil has autographed the inside of this book. This contest closes on February 15th, so get your entries in now! Our system only accepts one entry per email address.

Good luck! Thanks to reader Charles K for the heads up.

http://www.rushisaband.com/images/200702/387.f.jpg

www.rushisaband.com

Rush Backstage

Here's an interesting notice about "The Masked Rider":

To anyone who bought a copy of The Masked Rider in Milwaukee on the 30th Anniversary Tour.

"A new trade paperback edition of my first book, The Masked Rider, was put on sale for the first time at the Marcus Amphitheatre in Milwaukee on June 7th, 2004. After the show, when I had a chance to look over the book carefully, I realized it had been produced with serious flaws (no photos, wrong maps, various typographical and design errors, missing portions of text).

I immediately stopped its sale and had the rest of the printing destroyed, but I feel bad for the unfortunate few who bought copies that night. A corrected second edition has now been produced and put on sale, and I would like to replace those first defective paperbacks with an autographed hardcover copy of the proper new second edition.

Please send your defective copy to the address below, and we will make it right."

With apologies,
Neil Peart

Showtech Merchandising Inc.
1011 Upper Middle Road East, Suite C3
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
L6H 5Z9

www.by-tor.com

If I had one of the "defective copies," I would keep it and just buy another copy. How rare are these going to be some day?

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Feb 10 2007, 05:12 PM)
I've only read Ghost Rider and I thought it was a dud. Horrible ending. I especially don't like the way he takes jabs at Americans. I dig Neil but he's crossing the line sometimes.

yes.gif I pretty much agree with this. I find it interesting that he eventually married an "all American girl". Anyway, after reading some of Neil's books I definately changed my opinion of him. I still respect him, but he's been knocked down a notch or two. I no longer see him as a "genius" like I did in my younger days. Now he's just another person whose opinions I don't necessarily agree with or take at face value. That being said, he's a pretty good drummer.

Neil certainly can be judgemental, even in a superficial manner based on someone's appearance(overweight people). But alot of this could be from the pain and anger he was struggling with at the time.

Who knows confused13.gif

Neil's not someone I would want to hang out with and probably disagree with many of his ideas of life. But that's not the real relation is it?

I'M a 2.gif fan.... Good enough! smile.gif

I have no interest at all in ever meeting Peart. My fav in the band is Geddy, but I think I'd rather hang w/ Big Al if it ever happened.

With all of the Rush stuff, I wonder where Peart is at w/ his writing right now?

QUOTE (Sleepless Wind @ Sep 25 2006, 01:26 PM)
Masked Rider is my favorite.

Discovering Neil having a sense of humor was the best.

I mean, Pee Wee Herman, come on.

You have to read it to find out! biggrin.gif tongue.gif

NICE AVATAR!!!

Did you make that?

QUOTE (The O' Sullivan Factor @ Feb 24 2007, 11:49 PM)
Wait, which book does he jab at Americans in? I just got "Travelling Music" and am really enjoying it, but I'll make that one my next purchase.

"Ghost Rider." He has some words about fat and lazy Americans.

Some fans were upset about it and subsequently gave the book - and Neil's perceived snobbery - bad reviews on bulletin boards and on Amazon.

Personally, it didn't bother me at all. He's kinda right.