'Brain Candy' books

Dweezil

I saw this term by Ghost Girl... "Brain candy" and thought it suited the type of books she was referring to quite well.

(I have to assume that she meant popular light fiction novels that are quick reads and don't take too much thought on the reader's behalf. As opposed to say, Tolstoy)

So what's your Brain Candy?

Mine is Koontz, Ludlum, and Patricia Cornwall.

Lately I've read a couple of John Grisham books that were so-so. (If you can read them in a day or two, they're brain candy with not much candy) laugh.gif

Edited by Mrs. Huck Rogers

I must credit Jack Aubrey with using the term in that "literary crack" thread a while back. I like "brain candy" better than the other term, so I've adopted it. smile.gif

Koontz is definitely my number one brain candy provider, although I think he's maligned a bit much as a writer. Yes, he uses formulas, but to me, he is an excellent wordsmith. Some of my favorite quotes come from Koontz. biggrin.gif

Another source of brain candy for me is the wonderful Irish author Maeve Binchy. Her novels are long and involved, but they are as hard for me to put down as a box of chocolates.

Anybody read Clive Barker? I've got a book of his entitled The Theif of Always that looks pretty good. Thinking about reading it.

Also, back in high school I went through (you can laugh at me) a phase of reading Danielle Steel books. There was one in particular that sticks out in my mind called The Long Road Home, that was actually a very good story. It's about a girl whose mother beats her very badly as a child and then abandons her in a convent in her teenage years. It's basically the story of how this girl grows up and how she sees the world after what she has experienced. In the process, she also has an affair with a priest. But eventually she is on the road to healing from her past. Not a bad book!

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Aug 23 2006, 05:32 PM)
Anybody read Clive Barker? I've got a book of his entitled The Theif of Always that looks pretty good. Thinking about reading it.

Yep.

Sacrament by Clive Barker. Loved it.

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Aug 23 2006, 11:32 AM)

Also, back in high school I went through (you can laugh at me) a phase of reading Danielle Steel books. There was one in particular that sticks out in my mind called The Long Road Home, that was actually a very good story. It's about a girl whose mother beats her very badly as a child and then abandons her in a convent in her teenage years. It's basically the story of how this girl grows up and how she sees the world after what she has experienced. In the process, she also has an affair with a priest. But eventually she is on the road to healing from her past. Not a bad book!

I used to read Danielle Steele books, too. blush4.gif I still have a few of her older ones. That was before she churned them out every other week or so.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 23 2006, 12:16 PM)

I used to read Danielle Steele books, too. blush4.gif I still have a few of her older ones. That was before she churned them out every other week or so.

Good, I'm not the only one! biggrin.gif Hey, you gotta start somewhere right?!

John Grisham, James Patterson, Thomas Harris, Stephen King, Dan Brown...

James Ellroy, Elmore Leonard, Thomas Harris, James Crumley, Ross Macdonald, Dan Simmons, Joe R Lansdale, James Hall, George P Pelicanos, Don Delillo, Cormac Mccarthy...

Speaking of Harris he has a new one out later this year all about the early life of Dr Lector...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/53/BehindtheMaskcover.jpg

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 23 2006, 04:08 PM)
Speaking of Harris he has a new one out later this year all about the early life of Dr Lector...

Oooh! Ooooh! I've gotta get that!

The early life of Hannibal Lechter? I've always thought that's what Harris should've done with Hannibal. He could've told dual stories: the story of Clarice Starling pursuing the now-escaped Lechter, and the earlier story of Lechter's first murder spree, with Will Graham in pursuit.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 23 2006, 04:18 PM)

The early life of Hannibal Lechter? I've always thought that's what Harris should've done with Hannibal. He could've told dual stories: the story of Clarice Starling pursuing the now-escaped Lechter, and the earlier story of Lechter's first murder spree, with Will Graham in pursuit.

I think they've already filmed it too. I don't know who's in it I'll have to look that up...

Ok here's some info and still images...

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/film/480

Me too! bncegrn.gif

(As an aside, Hannibal was one of the grossest things I've ever read, and I did NOT see the movie. no.gif)

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 23 2006, 08:09 PM)

Me too! bncegrn.gif

(As an aside, Hannibal was one of the grossest things I've ever read, and I did NOT see the movie. no.gif)

Oh it was good, Ray Liotta as you've never seen him before (or since).

Did you see Red Dragon?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 23 2006, 10:49 PM)

Me too! bncegrn.gif

Did you see Red Dragon?

I saw it, but I think Michael Mann's 'Manhunter' was better. Brian Cox was brilliant as Dr. Lechter. Brian Cox is always brilliant, but I digress.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 23 2006, 11:51 AM)
I must credit Jack Aubrey with using the term in that "literary crack" thread a while back. I like "brain candy" better than the other term, so I've adopted it. smile.gif

Koontz is definitely my number one brain candy provider, although I think he's maligned a bit much as a writer. Yes, he uses formulas, but to me, he is an excellent wordsmith. Some of my favorite quotes come from Koontz. biggrin.gif

Another source of brain candy for me is the wonderful Irish author Maeve Binchy. Her novels are long and involved, but they are as hard for me to put down as a box of chocolates.

I appreciate it, but it was actually Slime who coined that phrase, so he should get the credit.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 24 2006, 06:07 AM)

Me too! bncegrn.gif

Did you see Red Dragon?

I saw it, but I think Michael Mann's 'Manhunter' was better. Brian Cox was brilliant as Dr. Lechter. Brian Cox is always brilliant, but I digress.

"Manhunter" was excellent, but I think it's a little dated. Mann loves his "Miami Vice" stylistic approach. I think I prefer "Red Dragon"; it was very well done, with great acting. It may be even better than "Silence of the Lambs."

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 24 2006, 06:10 AM)

I appreciate it, but it was actually Slime who coined that phrase, so he should get the credit.

Okay...so it's credit to Slime via Jack via GG via Mrs. Huck. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 24 2006, 06:07 AM)

Me too! bncegrn.gif

Did you see Red Dragon?

Cox was good as usual but the look and feel of the film was too Miami Vice (the use of colours, all blue, all red etc) meets Crime Story, he even used three of the cast from Crime Story in the film, Dennis Farina, Stephen Lang, and Bill Smitrovich. Still it's a good version but the ending was poor, a totally cop-out ending, where Graham was left untouched by Dolahyde. They gave the remake (Red Dragon) the proper ending more or less...

I was wondering if there was a thread like this. I'm glad to bumper.gif it to get some good suggestions.

In the past I have used, Michael Crichton, Luanne Rice, Danielle Steel, Colleen McCullough, Nicholas Sparks and John Jakes to get my "brain candy" fill. Okay I'll admit really really "brain candy" books from Joan Johnston too. blush4.gif

Colleen McCullough had a book called Morgan's Run that I just couldn't put down and there was going to be others along the same story to create the series but no such luck thus far.

Also I like the term "brain candy" much better than mine - "mindless books". laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 24 2006, 08:10 PM)

I picked it up elsewhere, I'm sure.

If I need something silly and girly, I indulge in some good chic lit. A lot of it is the same, but I like Jane Green a lot. Plus Sarah Mlynowski and the shopaholic series. rofl3.gif

I have read a couple Danielle Steel and some of her early stuff, though smutty, is good but her writing got to be very bare bones, no descriptive sentences or anything.