Snakes on a plane

Tick

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 17 2006, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 17 2006, 06:43 AM)
They're just not getting it, Jack. The cheesy title is the whole point. It's a cheesy popcorn movie, and it isn't trying to be anything else. And that title sparked a buzz so big that it'll probably clear $100 million before it's run is over. The title is brilliant. If Samuel Jackson is down with those motherf**king snakes on that motherf**king plane, so am I.

So you and Jack are actually gonna SEE this movie? unsure.gif

And that title sparked a buzz so big that it'll probably clear $100 million before its run is over.

So let me get this straight. People are going to see this movie BECAUSE it has an awful title? wtf.gif

I guess maybe it's just a matter of taste. I like to see movies that are supposed to be quality films, whether drama or comedy. I am NOT the type to rush out and see summer blockbusters just because they're summer blockbusters. If they look crappy, I don't care how many fight or action or special effects scenes there are, or how many people go to see the damn movie, I ain't going. This movie to me seems like a joke, and not a funny one other than it's fun to make fun of it. It's the kind of movie that I'm sure has the people at the Razzie awards chomping at the bit to see, and I won't be surprised if it doesn't get a few nominations, if not a win or two.

If this movie really has a cheesy title because it's a high-brow or low-brow comedy making fun of the airplane/hostage/terror genre in an intelligent thought-out way and it's truly funny, that's one thing, but I don't get that impression here. no.gif

In fact, I just went to imdb and it says this, "On board a flight over the Pacific Ocean, an assassin, bent on killing a passenger who's a witness in protective custody, lets loose a crate full of deadly snakes." I even went to the trouble and watched the 1 minute trailer, which is 1 minute I'll never get back. No, this doesn't look like an intelligent comedy or even an intelligent thriller. To me it looks like a crapfest of the lowest common denominator made to appeal to people who will watch any horror movie that comes out or that desperately need something to do on a Friday or Saturday night. I'm all for having fun, but I have to have something that makes me think or at least is done intelligently or I get bored in a hurry.

I know I'm coming off as a film snob (add that to my list of being a music snob), but this isn't the kind of movie I would even rent or borrow from a friend for free. Hell, if it was showing on an airplane flight I was on (though I doubt it would based on the premise tongue.gif ), and I was bored, I wouldn't even watch it. Well, maybe if the headphones were free and I was REALLLLLY bored.

If this movie makes $100 million dollars, to me it's the equivalent of a #1 album from Britney Spears - mediocrity for the masses.

Ok, if you must, let the controversy begin. tongue.gif These are just my opinions. Feel free to disagree, go see the movie and have a blast. I won't be joining you, but that shouldn't stop you from having a good time. wink.gif

Yeah, I'm gonna see the movie because I think it looks like it's going to be fun. I hope that doesn't give you chest pains or anything.

Look, it's all fine. I get where you're coming from. I mean, you love 'Star Trek' and I think it's a huge pile of crap with bad acting, bad stories, and bad dialogue, not to mention a total waste of time and energy, so I certainly understand your point.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 17 2006, 09:48 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 17 2006, 01:33 PM)
They're just not getting it, Jack. The cheesy title is the whole point. It's a cheesy popcorn movie, and it isn't trying to be anything else. And that title sparked a buzz so big that it'll probably clear $100 million before it's run is over. The title is brilliant. If Samuel Jackson is down with those motherf**king snakes on that motherf**king plane, so am I.

And that title sparked a buzz so big that it'll probably clear $100 million before it's run is over.

So let me get this straight. People are going to see this movie BECAUSE it has an awful title? wtf.gif

I guess maybe it's just a matter of taste. I like to see movies that are supposed to be quality films, whether drama or comedy. I am NOT the type to rush out and see summer blockbusters just because they're summer blockbusters. If they look crappy, I don't care how many fight or action or special effects scenes there are, or how many people go to see the damn movie, I ain't going. This movie to me seems like a joke, and not a funny one other than it's fun to make fun of it. It's the kind of movie that I'm sure has the people at the Razzie awards chomping at the bit to see, and I won't be surprised if it doesn't get a few nominations, if not a win or two.

If this movie really has a cheesy title because it's a high-brow or low-brow comedy making fun of the airplane/hostage/terror genre in an intelligent thought-out way and it's truly funny, that's one thing, but I don't get that impression here. no.gif

In fact, I just went to imdb and it says this, "On board a flight over the Pacific Ocean, an assassin, bent on killing a passenger who's a witness in protective custody, lets loose a crate full of deadly snakes." I even went to the trouble and watched the 1 minute trailer, which is 1 minute I'll never get back. No, this doesn't look like an intelligent comedy or even an intelligent thriller. To me it looks like a crapfest of the lowest common denominator made to appeal to people who will watch any horror movie that comes out or that desperately need something to do on a Friday or Saturday night. I'm all for having fun, but I have to have something that makes me think or at least is done intelligently or I get bored in a hurry.

I know I'm coming off as a film snob (add that to my list of being a music snob), but this isn't the kind of movie I would even rent or borrow from a friend for free. Hell, if it was showing on an airplane flight I was on (though I doubt it would based on the premise tongue.gif ), and I was bored, I wouldn't even watch it. Well, maybe if the headphones were free and I was REALLLLLY bored.

If this movie makes $100 million dollars, to me it's the equivalent of a #1 album from Britney Spears - mediocrity for the masses.

Ok, if you must, let the controversy begin. tongue.gif These are just my opinions. Feel free to disagree, go see the movie and have a blast. I won't be joining you, but that shouldn't stop you from having a good time. wink.gif

Yeah, I'm gonna see the movie because I think it looks like it's going to be fun. I hope that doesn't give you chest pains or anything.

Look, it's all fine. I get where you're coming from. I mean, you love 'Star Trek' and I think it's a huge pile of crap with bad acting, bad stories, and bad dialogue, not to mention a total waste of time and energy, so I certainly understand your point.

It's cool, we all have our own definitions of crap and what falls into it. It's all good... trink39.gif

*clutches chest* tongue.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 17 2006, 12:33 PM)

And that title sparked a buzz so big that it'll probably clear $100 million before its run is over.

i have but one thing to say, have ya seen lady in the water yet ?

rofl3.gif

crrrrrrap fest !

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Aug 17 2006, 03:20 PM)
That movie is going to do so well at the movies just because some people like to watch really dumb movies. I know that I'm going to see it in theaters just to see how bad it is.

me too, buddy. i'm stoked about seeing samuel l. on a plane.

let alone with snakes!

common001.gif

Looking around on the internet, the buzz on this movie is truly astounding. I totally missed all the hoopla until about 3 days ago. Reviews are generally surprisingly positive, with the best ones saying it's what you expect it to be, good ridiculous fun, etc. I'm still not seeing it because to me while the ridiculousness of the concept is entertaining as a joke, sitting through 105 minutes of it doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Anyway, doubtlessly tons of you will see this and it will be a massive success and cultural pheonomena of ridiculous proportions.

From Box Office Guru (this made me laugh):

Samuel L. Jackson looks to seize control of the muthaf*ckin' box office with his new muthaf*ckin' film Snakes on a Plane which invades theaters on a wave of internet buzz.

My buddy sent a prank call to my cell phone yesterday. Apparently you can go to a site and have it call someone's phone, and it can generate a personalized message with Samuel L. Jackson's voice, exhorting you to go see this movie. I couldn't stop laughing as Jackson was telling me to go see it. He said I need to get on the El and get my ass to the theater, etc. I heard this is a form of what is known as "viral marketing."

Most of you guys will be shocked but I rarely go see new movies. I'd rather watch The Shining or the Pulse DVD over and over quite frankly. All I ever see for trailers for new movies is drama and sex. The last time I saw a newer movie in a theater was "Stay Alive" which was decent at best.

they should take a poll to see what kind of music these people (that spend hard earned $ !!) listen too.

I bet it is a very small # that listen to Rush.

btw

I'm making a movie today, don't have a title yet. Can someone give me one?

Oh, and can someone give me some ideas to put into it?

Thanks.

It'll be out next week, only ten bucks a person.

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Aug 19 2006, 11:08 AM)
btw
I'm making a movie today, don't have a title yet. Can someone give me one?
Oh, and can someone give me some ideas to put into it?
Thanks.
It'll be out next week, only ten bucks a person.

I don't have a name, but I have a suggestion- skip dialogue and plots, character development and emotion, and just have people get bit by snakes. As I guess that's the only way to sell a script to Hollywood. rage.gif

I'll state the same thing David Letterman said on his program: These days having snakes on a plane doesn't seem so scary, but having gels and liquids is.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Aug 19 2006, 02:07 AM)
My buddy sent a prank call to my cell phone yesterday. Apparently you can go to a site and have it call someone's phone, and it can generate a personalized message with Samuel L. Jackson's voice, exhorting you to go see this movie. I couldn't stop laughing as Jackson was telling me to go see it. He said I need to get on the El and get my ass to the theater, etc. I heard this is a form of what is known as "viral marketing."

Here's the link if you want to play a good prank on your friends:

http://snakesonaplane.varitalk.com/