Most hated current trend in music?

Slime

Which of the following is the worst thing about modern music?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following is the worst thing about modern music?

• Plain awful lyrics/no attempt to make good lyrics
    • lyrics that try to be deep but suck anyway
    • musicians who refuse to play more than three chords
    • bad studio production
    • bass/rhythm guitar lines exactly alike
    • songs made solely to back up a music video
    • musicians who just CAN'T perform live (list examples)
    • musicians taking themselves too seriously
    • no more guitar solos!
    • other (specify)

This is the first of two polls I plan. This one is strictly about the sound/art of music. Next poll will be about music fandom, because I'm willing to bet most of us have something to say about that too.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything to hate tongue.gif.

I voted "Plain awful lyrics". Mostly a lot of the emo bands I've heard have the same old lyrics to me. I don't even want to get into them.

And how people like Britney Spears & Jessica Simpson become famous only because of their looks and not talent.

unoriginality

generic radio buttrock

powerchord pop punk emo whinefests

95% of commercialized hiphop

all nerd rap being passed off as good music by white critics (Kanye West)

the "R&B/soul" music of today...a truly dead genre if there was one. It's just terrible pop music being passed off. Alicia Keys is not good.

most new metal bands that have awesome music, then the singer opens his mouth and it's that same played out Cookie Monster growl

The "sonic assault" approach to music that's sweeping the charts with punk rock, emo, and screamo crap that just sounds like a massive noises with someone shrieking whiny lyrics in front.

Other

Major labels only signing and promoting bands that fit a certain category or genre. It creates overexposure for mediocre bands simply because they are writing songs that have a popular sound at the moment (the entire poppunk genre quickly comes to mind). Also makes it near impossible for emerging acts that dont carry a mainstream sound or formula in songwriting to gain any kind of exposure on a mass scale. This is what is killing the music, the saturation of mediocre bands. The downloading of music is definitely hurting the record industry as we know it, but I would much rather hurt a big business then stifle the creative process of making music the way they are.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Aug 3 2006, 02:03 PM)
Other

Major labels only signing and promoting bands that fit a certain category or genre. It creates overexposure for mediocre bands simply because they are writing songs that have a popular sound at the moment (the entire poppunk genre quickly comes to mind). Also makes it near impossible for emerging acts that dont carry a mainstream sound or formula in songwriting to gain any kind of exposure on a mass scale. This is what is killing the music, the saturation of mediocre bands. The downloading of music is definitely hurting the record industry as we know it, but I would much rather hurt a big business then stifle the creative process of making music the way they are.

ding ding ding ding we have a winner! biggrin.gif yes.gif

I don't know what to vote for. As a writer, it's ironic that I'm not very affected by bad lyrics. Some of the new DMB lyrics are pretty crappy, but musically they're great. I think it's more that bands get a free pass to play 3 power chords in Drop-D tuning and make a hit. Every single song sounds the same to me, sadly. Once in awhile radio will play something different, and my mind wants to call it good just because it was different then everything else. So it's a combination of unoriginality in both bands compositions and record label execs ears.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Aug 3 2006, 02:04 PM)
The "sonic assault" approach to music that's sweeping the charts with punk rock, emo, and screamo crap that just sounds like a massive noises with someone shrieking whiny lyrics in front.

goodpost.gif

We can debate about whether or not something needs a tune, but it's nice when it's actually IN tune in the first place....

why does every heavy band "Scream/growl" their lyrics? Are they trying to be scary? what a bunch of idiots.

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Aug 7 2006, 01:32 PM)
why does every heavy band "Scream/growl" their lyrics? Are they trying to be scary? what a bunch of idiots.

yes.gif

What's killing music? As a Mobile DJ, I have a few clues...

1. Record Industry Payola...In the latest round of payola investigations, Elliot Spitzer of The NY State Atty. General's Office has fined Sony BMG, Warner and Universal, and initiated a lawsuit against Entercom Communications Corp. The scemes paid DJs and Program Directors in Merchandise(Sony) and Cash to favor certain records over others in scheduling (some got more than others). One of the broadcasting companies mentioned often in these cases is Clear Channel Broadcasting!

2. The Homogenization of Radio...most radio stations in this country are owned by just a handful of companies: Clear Channel, Cox Radio, Citadel Communications, etc., and have homogenous playlists that are the same across several, if not all, markets. True Story: I live in Thomaston, GA, which is a community overlapped by three markets: Columbus, GA, Macon, GA, and Atlanta, GA. Almost all of the stations that I listen to are owned by Clear Channel. I can turn from 96Rock in Atlanta to Rock 103 in Columbus, and hear the EXACT SAME SONG EITHER PLAYING AT THE SAME TIME, OR WITHIN A FEW MINUTES OF EACH OTHER! The only station that isn't owned by Clear Channel that I can stomach is owned by Cox Radio, a company that I have a long-standing grudge against.

3. Record Companies...they are behind the eight-ball, as usual. Their failure to embrace new technology has turned them into a monolithic industry. Why couldn't they have gotten in on the ground floor back in '98 when P2P was first becoming popular? If this had happened, chances are that you would never have heard of the RIAA! BTW, thanks a lot Lars! FUVM!

I voted for Other: I absolutely despise all of the bad covers that people are doing these days. The original song is pretty much always ten times better, and they're not doing us any favors by confusing us with the same song titles. Also, I hate that bands write songs that have no point other than to shoot to the top of the Top 40 list. It's meaningless fluff; you should write music for music's sake, not money's sake.

QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Aug 7 2006, 09:08 PM)
All of the above

Agreed.

I looked at my friends Fall Out Boy lyric page and said to him "Do THEY even know what the hell this means?"

The song titles dont even relate to the music. FFTL's song "Ride The Wings of Pestilence" has nothing to do with Pestilence, there just trying to sound cool.

I have a different one.....people who sit around, sooking at eachother, saying bullshit like 'all the new stuff is shit, there's no good stuff around now. All the old shit is heaps better.' This is just a lazy, piss-poor attitude. True, 98% of the stuff you see/hear on the charts/in the mainstream is absolute empty, vacuous trash, these days you need to look BEYOND this, to find the quality. And there's HEAPS of quality out there, again you just have to look a bit harder these days.

I think THIS is the problem with the modern Rock/Metal scene. There are stil MILLIONS of Rock/Metal fans out there, it's just that most of them sit around looking at eachother saying 'I like the old stuff better than the new stuff', which is basically just a cover for being lazy, and keep playing their same, tired old Metallica, AC/DC and Iron Maiden albums while a stack of quality modern Rock acts go along unnoticed.

If you don't believe me, check out these bands:

Devin Townsend and Strapping Young Lad

Nightwish

Lacuna Coil

Cog

Karnivool

A Perfect Circle

Scar Symmetry

Opeth (saw them a few months back....stunning!!!)

Soilwork

Children of Bodom

The Butterfly Effect

etc etc etc

bass/rhythm guitar lines exactly alike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

i just cant stand it!!!! bass players should play like the solo guitar IMO.. and they should not play boring and simple lines just like the rhythm guitar!!

i want to kick every bass player ass and smash his bass on his head just because he playes simple lines!!. simple lines are for losers, he should explore the bass and play like a real bass player 1022.gif

I am a bass player in my band.. and it's the most importent instrument in our music.. 1022.gif

oh yeah.. and i HATE emo bands.. every emo should be killed they are useless

QUOTE (Larks @ Aug 8 2006, 02:26 PM)
bass/rhythm guitar lines exactly alike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

i just cant stand it!!!! bass players should play like the solo guitar IMO.. and they should not play boring and simple lines just like the rhythm guitar!!

i want to kick every bass player ass and smash his bass on his head just because he playes simple lines!!. simple lines are for losers, he should explore the bass and play like a real bass player 1022.gif

I am a bass player in my band.. and it's the most importent instrument in our music.. 1022.gif

oh yeah.. and i HATE emo bands.. every emo should be killed they are useless

I agree, but I can't agree with never playing root notes. For a very recent example-

The band The Raconteurs, who are one of my new favorites, has a pretty good bassist in Jack Lawrence. In the song Hands, he plays his own part, but on the bridge, he comes back to play root notes, an octave above everyone else. It's not the rest of the songs bassline I remember, it's those rootnotes that sound so damn good that stick out.

If it's done in every song I understand, but I can't agree with never using that tactic.

Talentless boy bands or record company puppet bands that get A1 marketing and airplay and suck but kids buy them because they're brainwashed...

This isn't a new thing they've been doing it since the 60s but it's just as crap now as it was then...

To be fair, I don't think it is useful to spend a great deal of time bashing boy bands, since that ugly phenomenon is pretty much gone. Now all we have to deal with is the pretty boy solo careers of former BB members. Justin is the worst example of this.

Or the standard pop starlett "I started out singing in church choir.... now look at my tits!" sort of music.

2 more things that i hate:

1.THE CRAZY FROG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahahaahaahahaha comp26.gif comp26.gif comp26.gif

this stupid frog got his own PS2 game, 50 albums and 10 "best of" cds..and even shirts and underpants! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

2.trance/electronic mixes to classic rock songs(califonia dreaming..TOTO africa and lot's of others songs..)

Music isn't about talent today. It's all about looks. As long as you have the right look & know a few chords, that's all you need today. Most songs today play the same beat & key from beginning to end. In top 40 anyway.

Archived