Heavy Metal

mikeroach113

This is one of the greatest animated films ever made. I absolutely love it. It has the voices of Roger Bumpass Jackie Burroughs, John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Harold Ramis, Susan "Sailor Jupiter" Roman, John Vernon, and so many more. Plus, it has songs from Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Trick, Devo, Donald Fagen, Don Felder, Grand Funk Railroad, Sammy Hagar, Journey, Nazareth, Stevie Nicks, Riggs, and Trust! How can anyone refuse that!

Yeah, that movie was alright.

Some of the segments are much better than others. Two segments which didn't do it for me were 1) the long, going-nowhere-fast, World War II thing, and 2) the trial thing, which was supposed to be one of the more comical segments, but wasn't all that funny. I liked the cab driver segment; kinda funny.

The attempt to tie all the different segments together, using that glowing orb thing, didn't work. They were still a bunch of totally independent stories.

It's been awhile. Maybe I should rent it again.

Hey... if you like Heavy Metal, you may also like one of my favorite animated movies - Ralph Bakshi's Wizards. It's been panned in every movie guide, but it has something of a cult following. I'm into it, and I own it.

QUOTE (mikeroach113 @ Jul 3 2006, 09:54 AM)
This is one of the greatest animated films ever made. I absolutely love it. It has the voices of Roger Bumpass Jackie Burroughs, John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Harold Ramis, Susan "Sailor Jupiter" Roman, John Vernon, and so many more. Plus, it has songs from Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Trick, Devo, Donald Fagen, Don Felder, Grand Funk Railroad, Sammy Hagar, Journey, Nazareth, Stevie Nicks, Riggs, and Trust! How can anyone refuse that!

applaudit.gif I can't refuse it. I like it alot. I used to watch it everytime in came on Cinemax in the early 80's. And I still have it on the same vhs tape that I bought over a decade ago. I must've seen it about 20 times. The soundtrack alone is worth it.

Isn't it hard to get now in the original soundtrack form? I thought there were a lot of hold outs on the rights to certain songs, so they replaced some tracks with newer versions. I would HATE that. The songs totally FIT the movie and can NOT be replaced. If this is true, I would only want to see a tape of it off HBO or something like that. yes.gif

I remember going to see this twice at the cinema when it first came out and loved it. At the time I was 14 and had never come across the concept of animated sex before so it was a bit of an eye opener.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 2 2006, 06:39 PM)
Hey... if you like Heavy Metal, you may also like one of my favorite animated movies - Ralph Bakshi's Wizards. It's been panned in every movie guide, but it has something of a cult following. I'm into it, and I own it.

I saw Wizards in the theater way back when it was new. I liked it, but I was maybe 12 at the time. Not sure if I'd like it now.

QUOTE (Slime @ Jul 5 2006, 01:56 PM)
I've only seen the newer Heavy Metal movie. It was lame. Is the original good?

yes.gif

I never seen the second one but have read plenty of bad reviews like yours!

Seen original three times at theater and when it was finally out on video bought it. What was the hold up with it's release? Remember it was a long while after theater run. Use to be a big fan of magazine still have some issues buried away somewhere. Is it still around?

GeddyRulz mentioned Ralph Bakshi,not many will agree with me but I liked his version of "LOR" That was another one that was hard to find on video.

Great movie. Its soundtrack was a Top 10 smash and rightfully so I may add. The trial scene was hysterical. Interesting that some of the tracks in the movie appeared on albums released that same year by the artists either in re-recorded form or as it was in the film:

The film's title track Heavy Metal from Sammy Hagar was also on his Standing Hampton album released in 1981(the film version was produced by Roy Thomas Baker whilst the SH version was re-recorded with Keith Olsen).

Working in a Coalmine by Devo would appear on the album they released at year's end.

Veteran of the Psychic Wars from Blue Oyster Cult would appear on their Fire of Unknown Origin album released around the same time as HM film.

Open Arms from Journey also appeared on their Escape album released around the same time as the film.

Queen Bee by Grand Funk Railroad was on their reunion album Grand Funk Lives.

The Mob Rules by Black Sabbath would appear in re-recorded form on the album of the same name(the instrumental E5150 was in the film as well but didn't appear on soundtrack)

GeddyRulz mentioned Ralph Bakshi,not many will agree with me but I liked his version of "LOR" That was another one that was hard to find on video.

I liked Bakshi's Lord of the Rings, too. Until the Peter Jackson films, this was pretty much our only look at Middle-Earth on film. This and the Rankin/Bass versions of The Hobbit and Return of the King.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Jul 10 2006, 01:41 AM)

The film's title track Heavy Metal from Sammy Hagar was also on his Standing Hampton album released in 1981
Veteran of the Psychic Wars from Blue Oyster Cult would appear on their Fire of Unknown Origin album

Good album by Sammy.

Last good album by B.O.C. (Seen them this tour they kicked ass) 1022.gif

Years later they sucked ass playing my home town Canton dance club called The Limelight new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif club ninja was the album they had out at the time. Half way thru Don't fear the reaper lead singer forgot words and they started over again. How embarrassing is that! doh.gif

I saw it in the theater when it came out and then waited years to finally buy it on vhs.

The soundtrack was released on LP in 1981, but for legal reasons, was not released on CD until 1995. The album peaked at number 12 on the Billboard chart in 1981.

The legal difficulties surrounding the movie maker's use of some of the songs in the movie delayed its release to video. Apparently, the production company's use of the songs was limited to the theatrical release and soundtracks alone, and didn't extend to the video release of the film. To resolve this problem for the video releases, the movie makers replaced some of the theatrical version's songs with generic hard rock instrumentals. The most notable replacement was that of Sammy Hagar's song "Heavy Metal", the movie's apropos theme song. However, this deal took over 15 years to resolve; the video release didn't debut until 1996. Because of the musical replacements, the versions available on videotape and DVD are not identical to the original version shown in theaters.

The sequel was atrocious, but the first Heavy Metal movie was awesome. My dad used to tell me the story of how he and his buddies snuck into the theatre to see it when it came out.

Personally, my favorite part was when the geeky guy finds the orb as a meteor and is suddenly transported into another dimension. Oh, and the final story is good. But when the bird-thing got hurt, I cried...

I just bought a used VHS copy yesterday morning (Wednesday) for only $1.

i saw this in the theater when it first came out...

i barely remember any of it...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (The Gangster of Boats @ Jul 5 2006, 04:07 AM)
Love that film.
Saw it one time at a midnight show in Cali after dropping acid.
It just made the film somehow more colorful.

you should have taken some plutonium nyborg !