THE WORLD CUP

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 9 2006, 10:45 AM)
The World Cup begins today!

I personally am cheering for Germany and at the end they will be THE CHAMPS!  tongue.gif

Today's matchups...

Costa Rica vs. Germany

Ecuador vs. Poland

Germany won't win the world cup, no way no.gif

Klinsmann's team will collapse when challenged by a half decent opponent...a bit like Klinsmann himself when he was a player laugh.gif

It's England or Argentina for me biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Huck @ Jun 9 2006, 04:58 PM)

It's England or Argentina for me biggrin.gif

Bear in mind that only European teams have won it when it's been held in Europe. Of course, there's always a first time............... wink.gif

I can't see England winning.

I'm not the world biggest soccer fan but I do like World Cup soccer. Of course I'm pulling for the good ole Stars and Stripes but let's be realistic. After our elimination, I'll pull for England.

If I had to bet, I would take Brazil.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jun 9 2006, 02:05 PM)
I'm not the world biggest soccer fan but I do like World Cup soccer. Of course I'm pulling for the good ole Stars and Stripes but let's be realistic. After our elimination, I'll pull for England.

Much like hockey, we don't have enough talent (I say that loosely) to win. I can't see the USA actually doing it. I could see England doing it though....

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 9 2006, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jun 9 2006, 02:05 PM)
I'm not the world biggest soccer fan but I do like World Cup soccer.  Of course I'm pulling for the good ole Stars and Stripes but let's be realistic.  After our elimination, I'll pull for England. 

Much like hockey, we don't have enough talent (I say that loosely) to win. I can't see the USA actually doing it. I could see England doing it though....

Our best athletes play football, basketball and baseball. After those three, our talent drops.

If i'm going to be brutally honest, I really don't think the US will make it out of their group. The Czechs and Italians are very strong, and USA aren't that good a team. And before Americans come back with "We're 5th in the world", the US team only plays one GOOD team every two years, if that. The rankings lie!

On paper, it should be a Brazil - England final, and if Rooney gets match fit for the Sweden game, and if England get through the group stage, I pity any team that has to face England and him fully fit.

I'll say England to win, with Spain as my outside bet.

QUOTE (Ernest Scribbler @ Jun 9 2006, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 9 2006, 11:45 AM)

I personally am cheering for Germany and at the end they will be THE CHAMPS!  tongue.gif

What do you think of Ballack's injury? Do you rate Klinsmann as a manager?

To be honest I do not follow soccer a whole lot (though I do have tremendous respect for the game) and I only really watch the World Cup....I do remember Klinsmann when he was a player....I have always cheered for Germany. They have always been competitive for as long as I've watched the World Cup (winning a few times and losing I believe 4 times in the championship game eh.gif )

Being the host country (though not a guarantee) can only help them. Last time they hosted they won it all (1974) and they did make the finals the last time out....

We'll see how it goes smile.gif

I have no idea who's going to win it. I think it's a very open competition this time. But to put myself on the spot I'm going for either Italy/Argentina (Depending on how the last phase pans out). With Spain as my outside bet. England will get out of their group but that's as far as they'll get.

(editied for spelling)

Not a perfomance that will have the rest of the teams quaking in their boots was it? I know the result is more important than the performance in the early stages, but England will have to up the tempo a bit when they play Sweden.

England were very poor but Sweden were worse - the winner ain't coming from group B on today's performance.

Come on Brazil.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jun 10 2006, 06:28 AM)
Was watching the higlights of the Germany game, IF England and Germany meet in the second round, Germnay WILL get a beating. WIth Crouch, Owen and Rooney fit, they may aswell not put a defense out!

It was shocking.

Obviously written before today's lucklustre perfomance.

That was more than lacklustre. First half was good, exactly what they should do to progress. The the famous England Second Half, and Sven's Tactics. They played way too deep in the second half, no way should a team like England have ten players in their own half.

I must say, does Sven really want to win this thing? Because on that managerial performance, i think he's firing parting shots at the English people.

Archived