LOUSY 'Star Wars' news! *UPDATED*

Jack Aubrey

I HEREBY TAKE BACK EVERY NICE THING I SAID ABOUT THIS! SEE MY UPDATE A FEW POSTS DOWN!

Here's the story from Star Wars.com:

This September: Original Unaltered Trilogy on DVD

May 03, 2006

Fans can look forward to a September filled with classic Star Wars nostalgia, led by the premiere of LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy video game and the long-awaited DVD release of the original theatrical incarnations of the classic Star Wars trilogy.

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. International release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territory.

"Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters," said Jim Ward, President of LucasArts and Senior Vice President of Lucasfilm Ltd. "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars. Topping it off with a new interactive adventure makes September 12 a red-letter day for Star Wars fans."

Edited by Jack Aubrey

I was the tiniest bit skeptical about the updated versions of the original trilogy when they came out, but I tended to think that every improvement they made worked perfectly, and none better than the slightly altered ending of return of the jedi. The different music during the ewok celebration and showing people celebrating on different planets gave it the ending it deserved.

That being said, the fact that the DVD's will contain BOTH the original and modified version makes it very appealing. If it was the original version on it's own, I don't think I'd bother and would choose the updated versions.

Very cool...

George is so good at coming up with more ways we can spend money on the same movies. laugh.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 4 2006, 10:05 AM)
George is so good at coming up with more ways we can spend money on the same movies. laugh.gif

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/pinkfloyd1973/things/visamas1_e0.gif

Just what I was thinking! yes.gif But It will be cool to have the originals. I am a SW puritist!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/pinkfloyd1973/things/visamas1_e0.gif

I don't think I'm going to go buying them again. I've already spent good money on getting the entire series on Widescreen DVD; I don't think I need yet another set of Episodes 4-6.

The only objection I had to the "Special Edition" series was Greedo shooting first, and it's not worth the money to me to get a version where he doesn't. I can live with him shooting first, I guess.

"We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. "

Jim Ward: Hey, I came to get the original Star Wars movies to put out on DVD!

Can you tell me where to find them?

Lucasfilm Warehouse Guy: What movie again?

Jim Ward: The original Star Wars movies? The films that built this company? You know Episodes 4 through 6?

Lucasfilm Warehouse Guy: Hmm.. sorry. I'm comin' up blank. Can you give me a storyline or memorable character to go on?

Jim Ward: (starting to get annoyed) Cripes. Ok. There was Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo, any of these characters ring a bell?

Lucasfilm Warehouse Guy: I'm trying to work wid you here, keep going..

Jim Ward: Darth Vader, the DeathStar, Chewbacca, Stormtroopers..

Lucasfilm Warehouse Guy: Stop, what was that middle one - Chewy?

Jim Ward: Chewbacca! Yes, Chewy was his nickname! He had lots of hair and never talked, just growled alot.

Lucasfilm Warehouse Guy: It's startin' to come back to me! How did that growl go again?

Jim Ward: I don't know, something like.. "RRRRRGGGGGHHH"

Lucasfilm Warehouse Guy: Oh yeah,I loved that guy! I think it was more like this : "YYYOOOORRRRRR"

Jim Ward: "RRRRRRYRYYYYOOOOGGGG"

Lucasfilm Warehouse Guy: "EEEERRRRRRRGGGGGGG"

Jim Ward: "RRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOO"

Lucasfilm Warehouse Guy: Now I's remembers. Da Star Wars films!

Jim Ward: Yes! The Star Wars films!

Lucasfilm Warehouse Guy: I have no clue where those things went.

Jim Ward: No clue..?

Lucasfilm Warehouse Guy: Well, der probly around here somewhere. I would start in the basement.

Jim Ward: Basement? This place has 10,000 square feet of space, why does it need a basement?

Lucasfilm Warehouse Guy: Hey, I just work here. Here's the key. Noone's been down there for ages. Don't even remember the last guy comin' back, come to think of it. Good luck though.

Jim Ward: The fans need me. I will find those tapes!!

Lucasfilm Warehouse Guy: Good luck to yaz.

cool.gif

Schro

QUOTE (Schro @ May 7 2006, 12:06 PM)
Lucasfilm Warehouse Guy: It's startin' to come back to me! How did that growl go again?

Jim Ward: I don't know, something like.. "RRRRRGGGGGHHH"

Lucasfilm Warehouse Guy: Oh yeah,I loved that guy! I think it was more like this : "YYYOOOORRRRRR"

Jim Ward: "RRRRRRYRYYYYOOOOGGGG"

Lucasfilm Warehouse Guy: "EEEERRRRRRRGGGGGGG"

Jim Ward: "RRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOO"

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

It seems to me they could have had an "original" option when they first came out with the 4-6 dvd set. They must have known people would have wanted the original version. Oh well, $$$$$$$ angry.gif

Lucas the insane jerkface has struck again! The new DVDs of the original trilogy will be NON-anamorphic transfers! That's bad news for those of us with widescreen tv's. Dammit, if Lucas was here right now, I'd kick him square in the ass! The nice folks at the Digital Bits have posted a great rant that sums up my feelings perfectly.

The only reason I bought the VHS of "The Phantom Menace" was because there would supposedly be no DVD release until the new trilogy was done.

After LucasFilm turned around and released a DVD of it within a year, I swore off buying any more media until they figured out what the hell they were going to release.

Now they're doing it again. Good thing I still haven't given them a dime outside of what I've paid at the cinema.

-Scotty

^ Saw The Phantom Menace like 18 times when it came out. smile.gif

QUOTE (tst4eko @ May 19 2006, 06:02 PM)
Test4VitalSigns, how the HELL did I miss that wonderful piece of action?  I've never noticed how badly Luke misses that guy before...  doh.gif

laugh.gif

According to http://www.moviemistakes.com/ there are TONS of mistakes! (649 of them among the original trilogy wacko.gif ) Looking thru the list I'm thinking wow how did I miss all of this???

Some of this is pretty HILARIOUS and I'm tempted to watch them again to find them laugh.gif

Here are the lists...

Star Wars

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1226

Empire....

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film409

ROTJ....

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1067

Mind you this stuff is sent in by normal folks like you and I so the accuracy of these might be questioned. (Corrections are made among some of them)

I'm bumping this because the DVDs are due to be released soon. Remember: the original versions will be NON-anamorphic and in 2.0 stereo. DO NOT BUY THEM!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 12 2006, 12:27 PM)
I'm bumping this because the DVDs are due to be released soon. Remember: the original versions will be NON-anamorphic and in 2.0 stereo. DO NOT BUY THEM!

Jack, are these new DVDs NON-widescreen (4x3 pan & scan)? Or are they non-anamorphic widescreen transfers?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 12 2006, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 12 2006, 12:27 PM)

Jack, are these new DVDs NON-widescreen (4x3 pan & scan)? Or are they non-anamorphic widescreen transfers?

They are non-anamorphic widescreen transfers. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 4 2006, 07:05 AM)
I HEREBY TAKE BACK EVERY NICE THING I SAID ABOUT THIS! SEE MY UPDATE A FEW POSTS DOWN!

Here's the story from Star Wars.com:

This September: Original Unaltered Trilogy on DVD
May 03, 2006

Fans can look forward to a September filled with classic Star Wars nostalgia, led by the premiere of LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy video game and the long-awaited DVD release of the original theatrical incarnations of the classic Star Wars trilogy.

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. International release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territory.

"Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters," said Jim Ward, President of LucasArts and Senior Vice President of Lucasfilm Ltd. "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars. Topping it off with a new interactive adventure makes September 12 a red-letter day for Star Wars fans."

I never liked "Star Whores". I thought that ended a long time ago. Why are they still releasing this junk? I like the "Star Trek" movies way better. unsure.gif