The Cycling Thread!

D-13

QUOTE (AgentScotty @ May 30 2011, 10:22 PM)
I've got 978.3 miles for the month of May. th1245.gif

All I have to do is ride 21.7 miles tomorrow and I'll have my first-ever 1K month. common001.gif

way to go!!! 1022.gif common001.gif

I went on two fairly fierce mtn bike rides this weekend. Rode with an old bro who i had not ridden with since 1989. He had a speedometer and we did just over 14 miles in 1:50. Two killer climbs and one other moderate one.

on sunday did a shorter version of the same ride. going for it on the downhills and having lots of fun. unfortunately i had a little back pain for a day or two. not sure if its from the ride or loading the bike into a pickup.

QUOTE (AgentScotty @ May 30 2011, 11:22 PM)
I've got 978.3 miles for the month of May. th1245.gif

All I have to do is ride 21.7 miles tomorrow and I'll have my first-ever 1K month. common001.gif

I can see why we haven't gotten too many updates from you - hard to post while you're on the road. Nice work. May I ask - married or kids? Those are basically what keeps me at a more minimal amount of riding.

Single, no kids.

Thunderstorms came through this morning while I was at work, and I was hoping to ride again today after work, but now there are more thunderstorms coming through.

I managed to bag another 32 miles last night to finish May with 1010 miles. Now that I've done that once, I'm not sure if I'll try again.

Edited by AgentScotty

Last Saturday I got the itch to take my Specialized bike out of the garage, clean it up, and get it out for a ride. Headed up to the Farmington Canal Trail in Cheshire, CT and rode from there down to New Haven and back. 28.3 miles total. Once I get back into shape I'll be riding a lot more. Can't wait biggrin.gif

QUOTE (AgentScotty @ Jun 1 2011, 04:35 PM)
Single, no kids.

Thunderstorms came through this morning while I was at work, and I was hoping to ride again today after work, but now there are more thunderstorms coming through.

I managed to bag another 32 miles last night to finish May with 1010 miles. Now that I've done that once, I'm not sure if I'll try again.

cool. I love my family but it does make it difficult to get in more riding.

Still working on my ruptured disc solution - Do want to ride so badly -

Had an open-end MRI last time but i guess they needed better pics so i had a closed tunnel mri this morning - DAMN!!!!!!!!!!! i freaked out inside that basketball sized tube thing- Almost didn't make it thru - never been claustrophobic before today - Won't do that again without some serious drugs- scared.gif

Keep working on that back, Alph. You'll be back.

Got in a 26 mile ride tonight. Rode with a friend who requested the pain at the turnaround point. I pulled and he blew up. Ended up having to pull him home at about 18mph. He 062802puke_prv.gif . Hope he's alright.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 10 2011, 10:03 PM)
Keep working on that back, Alph. You'll be back.
Got in a 26 mile ride tonight. Rode with a friend who requested the pain at the turnaround point. I pulled and he blew up. Ended up having to pull him home at about 18mph. He 062802puke_prv.gif . Hope he's alright.

That sucks for your friend - My friends brother wanted to go with us one day because he thought road bikes were for girls and he could easily keep up - he was 20 years younger than me and in seemingly great shape didn't matter- we decided to shut him up and climbed 4000' in 5 hours- he threw up twice and needed his brother to go get his truck and come back to pick him up - never rode with us again laugh.gif

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jun 10 2011, 11:09 PM)
Keep working on that back, Alph.  You'll be back.
Got in a 26 mile ride tonight.  Rode with a friend who requested the pain at the turnaround point.  I pulled and he blew up.  Ended up having to pull him home at about 18mph.  He  062802puke_prv.gif .  Hope he's alright.

That sucks for your friend - My friends brother wanted to go with us one day because he thought road bikes were for girls and he could easily keep up - he was 20 years younger than me and in seemingly great shape didn't matter- we decided to shut him up and climbed 4000' in 5 hours- he threw up twice and needed his brother to go get his truck and come back to pick him up - never rode with us again laugh.gif

awesome!

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jun 10 2011, 10:09 PM)
Got in a 26 mile ride tonight.  Rode with a friend who requested the pain at the turnaround point.  I pulled and he blew up.  Ended up having to pull him home at about 18mph.  He  062802puke_prv.gif .  Hope he's alright.

I'm impressed, makes my 150 miles of riding to work on 3 days(M, W, F) look like nothing. I can't match anything like that here in S Florida cause as some you may already know it's flat as a pancake down here.

ROCK ON! 1022.gif

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jun 10 2011, 10:09 PM)

I'm impressed, makes my 150 miles of riding to work on 3 days(M, W, F) look like nothing. I can't match anything like that here in S Florida cause as some you may already know it's flat as a pancake down here.

ROCK ON! 1022.gif

Somewhat-reviving this thread because I finally dusted off my bike, pumped up the tires, and took it for a spin down to the mall yesterday. It had been at least 9 months since my last ride but I decided I need to (A) get in shape and ( B ) starting biking, because it's a lot faster than walking and I hate driving. tongue.gif

Also, I'm taking my bicycle to college next year, since Lincoln's very bike-friendly (compared to this crazy place, yikes, I can't wait for College World Series to be over so all those people can leave..! wink.gif ) and it's the best way to get around campus. Right now I have a hybrid sort of bike, smoother wheels than a mountain bike but lot of shocks and thicker wheels than a road bike. It's good for curbs and sidewalks and the like.

I guess my question is, do any of you use your bike for transportation? Just getting around? I'm not really into long bike trips but I do enjoy using it for running down to get something and I hope to do that more often. Any tips?

Edited by CMWriter

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jun 22 2011, 08:35 PM)
Somewhat-reviving this thread because I finally dusted off my bike, pumped up the tires, and took it for a spin down to the mall yesterday. It had been at least 9 months since my last ride but I decided I need to (A) get in shape and ( B ) starting biking, because it's a lot faster than walking and I hate driving. tongue.gif
Also, I'm taking my bicycle to college next year, since Lincoln's very bike-friendly (compared to this crazy place, yikes, I can't wait for College World Series to be over so all those people can leave..! wink.gif ) and it's the best way to get around campus. Right now I have a hybrid sort of bike, smoother wheels than a mountain bike but lot of shocks and thicker wheels than a road bike. It's good for curbs and sidewalks and the like.
I guess my question is, do any of you use your bike for transportation? Just getting around? I'm not really into long bike trips but I do enjoy using it for running down to get something and I hope to do that more often. Any tips?

Check into getting panniers installed so you can lug around books, etc. without having to constantly use a backpack. Go to the local bike shop and take a class on repairing flat tires. Get all of the equipment you need and carry on your bike such as pump, tubes, tire tool. Install a headlight and a taillight and use them when needed. Become familiar with the laws for cyclists and follow them. Wear a helmet. Have fun. I wish I could use mine for transportation but I work 15 miles from home and would have to use overly dangerous roads for about 5 of those miles - just too dangerous. Plus it is just too hot a lot of the year, I rode yesterday from 6 am to 8 am and it was still way too hot....

I'm a novice cyclist at best - combined road/mountain biking. I love it. I don't have a bike rack for my car (yet), so I'm confined to only those areas around my home, but there are some beautiful locations that provide a good enough challenge that are a nearby bike ride away. I would love to (and should) get out there every day, but I'm up to 3 times a week for about an hour. I would love to get my body in shape enough to do some real challenging riding, but one step at a time I guess. I take my phone along in case anything urgent happens while I'm gone, but also for the camera to catch some nice pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/paganoman/Biking/0702011032.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/paganoman/Biking/0702011014.jpg

sad.gif My cycling days are over for a while - Latest MRI shows two ruptured discs / and a bone spur pressing in to my spinal cord - Surgery is likely at this point - Had two Cervical Epidurals to attempt a fix but to no avail -

It's depressing to see dust on my bike for the first time in years -

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jul 10 2011, 10:42 AM)
sad.gif My cycling days are over for a while - Latest MRI shows two ruptured discs / and a bone spur pressing in to my spinal cord - Surgery is likely at this point - Had two Cervical Epidurals to attempt a fix but to no avail -

It's depressing to see dust on my bike for the first time in years -

Sorry to hear this. Can you be involved with any strenuous activity?