The Cycling Thread!

D-13

We've been let off pretty lightly in the snow department in New England this winter, but it's still been pretty cold from a bicycling standpoint, but warmer than last winter. No frozen water bottles so far. smile.gif

The days are gradually getting longer, and I've been making it out at least a few days a week. Gorgeous sunsets and a lot of deer out in the fields.

Just another month until we're back on Daylight Savings Time, which will make it a lot easier to get in rides after work.

103 miles for the last 6 days - little rain nothing big - When it rains here it's still 60 degrees biggrin.gif

Dropping all my post injury pounds pretty fast -

Signed up for the Run to Camacho Century in March -

It starts at around 4000', climbs to 5500' and then drops over 60 miles into the desert. 3000+ feet of downhill - Then we all eat and drink at Camacho's then take a luxury bus shuttle back to the start with our bikes on a separate transport - all for just $75.00 (drinks additional) biggrin.gif

I'm back on a legit bike after last year's knee surgery woes.

I love my spin bike, especially watching Rush DVDs while doing so, but I miss my road and mtn. bike so much.

It was so sad, having to tune up my bike that hadn't been used in over a year.

It wasn't pretty, but I was out there.

Not to mention the extra weight I'm dragging up hill.

Lets, not even talk about the fact that my cycling clothes don't fit.

I'm fatter than Jan Ulrich in an early spring classic.

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Feb 14 2012, 04:58 PM)
I'm fatter than Jan Ulrich in an early spring classic.

laugh.gif

I'll have to remember that one this spring when the local cycling club gets back together and we all bemoan the weight we put on over the winter. smile.gif

How great is it to see Andy and Frank Schleck in Team Radio Shack Colours?

Not to mention Fabian Cancellara and Levi Leipheimer.

Andy's time trial at Paris-Nice was less than impressive, but if things go well along the way, this could lead to an amazing TDF this July.

http://default.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/11141%7C000006a2a%7C5a14_andy-schleck-radioshack.jpg

I put in for today off as soon as I read it would break 65 degrees (it actually hit 71 at the high point) and I did my first Metric of the year, just short of 66 miles / 106 kilometers. th1245.gif

It was really windy and I flatted around the 20 mile mark (slashed sidewall, luckily I had a tire patch in my seat bag or I would've been walking home) but it was a great day to be on the road, and the first day in longer than I can remember that I didn't need cold weather gear.

It's supposed to drop back into the 40s on Friday and the 30s on Saturday, but after that it's supposed to be 57 degrees or warmer every day for a week straight. biggrin.gif We also go back on Daylight Savings Time on Sunday, which will be an extra 14-16 miles added to every after-work ride. biggrin.gif

For my birthday today went out for a short 20 mile spin with no wind 72 degrees and sunny here in S Florida.

Took it easy going to a tough spinning class in a few hours then dinner tonight.

Tom Boonen is on a tear this spring yes.gif - Gent-Wev / Tour of Flanders / Paris Roubaix which he won by 1:30 applaudit.gif

I can only pray he is clean and didn't need cocaine to pedal thru the pain today - doesn't hurt to have Cancellara sitting at home with a broken collarbone -

Edited by alphseeker

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Apr 8 2012, 02:18 PM)
Tom Boonen is on a tear this spring yes.gif - Gent-Wev / Tour of Flanders / Paris Roubaix which he won by 1:30 applaudit.gif

I can only pray he is clean and didn't need cocaine to pedal thru the pain today - doesn't hurt to have Cancellara sitting at home with a broken collarbone -

He is a monster, you have to admit.

I have 9 rides in so far this month. Mostly shorter rides between 12-25 miles just due to time constraints. Had a nice headwind on return trip this evening and was between 22-25 mph most of the way. I'm enjoying these TT-type rides but want to get some longer touring asap.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Apr 18 2012, 08:25 PM)
I have 9 rides in so far this month. Mostly shorter rides between 12-25 miles just due to time constraints. Had a nice headwind on return trip this evening and was between 22-25 mph most of the way. I'm enjoying these TT-type rides but want to get some longer touring asap.

Same here - Time constraints limit my rides to 18 miles but fortunately we found a new route that is a toll road where no cars ever travel - It has two- 1.5 mile climbs 4 to 5 % grade so it makes up for the shorter rides -

Got another friend to buy an entry level Carbon Bike today - he got an Orbea Onix with 105's - Which makes our group 4 now, two more and we can order our own jersey's - biggrin.gif - always fun to ride in a pack - We're all doing two centuries together in two months -

Cycling companies are sure getting greedy - I remember the days when a top end road bike (carbon) would cost you $2500 - now they are over $10,000 - Been looking to get new cycling shoes - my current specialized shoes have a full carbon sole but only cost me $120.00 three years ago now i can't touch any full carbon soles for under $250.00 - It seems every time they come up with new technology it gives them the right to increase retail costs by 100% - They also need to come up with lower price entry level carbon bikes for those getting into the sport - They don't make any under $1700.00 forcing many to buy aluminum or just forgetting it altogether - Clothing is another story - banghead.gif Edited by alphseeker

QUOTE (alphseeker @ May 6 2012, 11:53 AM)
Cycling companies are sure getting greedy - I remember the days when a top end road bike (carbon) would cost you $2500 - now they are over $10,000 - Been looking to get new cycling shoes - my current specialized shoes have a full carbon sole but only cost me $120.00 three years ago now i can't touch any full carbon soles for under $250.00 - It seems every time they come up with new technology it gives them the right to increase retail costs by 100% - They also need to come up with lower price entry level carbon bikes for those getting into the sport - They don't make any under $1700.00 forcing many to buy aluminum or just forgetting it altogether - Clothing is another story - banghead.gif

Good post. I actually take a measure of enjoyment being able to often ride faster/further in my under armour-style t-shirt on my aluminum bike than some of the people decked out in several hundred dollars worth of clothes and a $5,000 bike. i love my 8 year old aluminum bike with all of its dings and scratches. It's amusing to see people buy a bike that weighs 5-8 LBS less than mine for several thousand dollars when it would be easier and better to just lose those pounds.... I'll stop my rant now.

It's official: I hate spring riding - This is the third spring in a row that i have run into a small group of "BEES" - wtf.gif -today, going down a long decent at about 38 mph i got zapped by about 6 of them, 3 of them stung me - thank god i'm not allergic but its still hurts like hell when you get hit going that fast, feels like someone threw a dart into my chest - I have to figure out what color to wear because my riding partner has not been stung in 4 years - Edited by alphseeker

Anyone watching the Tour De Suisse?

Frank Schleck (Team Radio Shack) attacked on the final climb of the first road stage.

He's got a heart of gold.

It was so exciting to watch.

He finished second, but I think he's shown the pack what he's made of.

It has been a great season leading up to the Tour De France.

Schleck Brothers suck - I have really lost respect for them - They have been feigning injury all year when the real truth is they have no heart and are not prepared for the big one and now Andy has dropped out of the TDF - He probably found out ahead of time the Bruyneel wasn't going to start him anyway -

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/2012...tour-de-france/

Looks like they're going after Lance again...

...any constructive thoughts?

Maybe, I just want to believe he's innocent.

But it would be hard to pass all of those drug tests along the way, wouldn't it?

He's done so much for the sport of cycling and for the cancer community, it would be such a shame if all of the allegations turn out to be true.

Witch hunt...or does new round of allegations have credibilty?

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jun 14 2012, 02:43 PM)
Looks like they're going after Lance again...

...any constructive thoughts?

Maybe, I just want to believe he's innocent.

But it would be hard to pass all of those drug tests along the way, wouldn't it?

He's done so much for the sport of cycling and for the cancer community, it would be such a shame if all of the allegations turn out to be true.

Witch hunt...or does new round of allegations have credibilty?

It sounds like this might be a rehash of the same allegations. I'm convinced everyone who won was cheating at this point.

Hi Cyclists,

I am considering a benefit ride this September 15th. It will be a century ride, not a race, but a fundraising opportunity for AIDS research and support.

I have been riding since March and my last "really long" ride was 43 miles. It was tough, but very rewarding.

The good thing about this ride is you can do any distance from 42 to 100 miles, so should the day come and I am not prepared for the full, I can choose a shorter option.

So... any advice for this newbie? Encouragement? Am I nuts? I can currently do a good 35 miles comfortably now so I think I am on pace to train for something bigger. I'm just scared! There are some BIG hills in this monster ride around one of the Fingerlakes in upstate NY here. It's going to be beautiful, but tough (duh)

I'm also eager to try this because when I started running a few years ago, my confidence held me back from doing a full marathon. When I finally decided I wanted to try for the 26.2, injuries started showing up after years of beating my body on the pavement...and it's been over a year battling impact-causing problems in my lower legs. I have turned to cycling to keep me outdoors and going.

Thanks..