I just started playing drums.

Mustard Death

So, my little brother's birthday was the other day. And he got a drum set, finally. He's wanted one forever...

It's a five piece beginners set, but hey, it's regular size and all... so I figure I should make use of it as well. I'm probably going to take him to a music store someday soon and ask someone there what the best learning methods are (he's not going to take lessons from a teacher, as far as I know). And, I could possibly use those, but I'll be helping him get the best one for someone his age.

And... he's much younger than I am, so I'm here to ask what are some good ways to learn the fundamentals/theory/whatnot for myself?

If anyone knows any good books/DVDs/sites or anything else, please let me know... help is much appreciated.

thestand laugh.gif

Um, well.. Mustard Death I would just get him drum lessons. If he wants to learn that's probably the best way. Or like thestand said Anatomy Of A Drum Solo is good, but it's obviously too advanced for him. If you want to learn to play drums I suggest taking lessons. That's what I'm doing.. I've been playing drums since early 2002 and I've been taking lessons for 2 1/2 years, or around that general area. IMO, that's the way to start with drums or any other musical instrument for that matter. Lessons I think is your best bet.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0764553577.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Everything you need to know in plain English.

Rudiments! Rudiments! Rudiments!!!!

If he's serious about making mastering percussion a long term goal then he should master the basics first. This is the voice of experience speaking. I was completely self taut for the few years I played and never got far beyond faking it. Do it right; from the beginning. applaudit.gif

Yeah, private instructions are probably the best bet. I know that school music programs have been cut all over. I did get a certain amount of instruction in elementary school, but that was 30 years ago. I later got private lessons in addition to being involved with school bands. It was with school bands that I got into competition, both in bands and solo snare drum. Check your local music stores for reputable instructors. They should have good knowledge of teachers in the area. Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

smile.gif I would say hunt around and find a good teacher thats not just after your money so he can learn how to hold the sticks correctly or the style that suits him , either matched or traditional. He can learn the basics like rudiments and positioning the drums etc. After that assess his enthusiasm and let him take it from there. It helps enormously however, if he has natural rhythm and a good "feel" for music.

As was already said above, start from the beginning. Obviously, don't put your feeling aside and don't focus one hundred percent on 'playing by book'.

Try to adjust what you've got in your mind to what you've got in your hands because it often happens that your mind wants too much from your hands, which is where you start to lose touch with what drumming is all about. Mistakes start to become permanent and extremely difficult to erase at later stages.

Last but not least, Impatience is your worst enemy! Crush it!

Good luck! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

If he has the option of taking private lessons-he should do that. I would do that if it were offered but my parents are yelling at me for drumming too loudly on random objects...

Anyhow, I read two books:

The Idiots Guide for Playing Drums by Michael Miller

The Everything Drums Book by Eric Starr

Reading them though confused me. Eric said you should not "cheat" by moving your wrists and you should let the sticks bounce but Michael said that bouncing is sloppy unless it's a controlled bounce or something like that. They could have been talking about two different things though...

Just start picking apart simple Beatles and Beach Boys and other easy four on the floor stuff, ya gotta start easy, you can't just buy a kit and expect to play like Neil or Bonham etc....

There's a lot to be said about 8th notes on the high hat, bass on 1 & 3 and snare on 2 & 4 FOREVER until it's clean, smooth and no problem!

I did the same thing, but like 35 years ago!

Played to the Monkees, the Beatles, Beach Boys, then worked up to other stuff.

QUOTE (thestand @ Feb 19 2006, 06:15 PM)
Get some White Stripes to bang along to, and you'll feel well accomplished.

EXACTLY! Something that gives you a quick "I can do this" fix, then move up to harder stuff!

Eventually you'll figure out "The Waltz" (friggin Neil!)