Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I have a confession to make:

There's like 5 DT albums I haven't listened to, and I've listened to Scenes from start to finish maybe twice. I've heard Beyond This Life maybe 100 times though. The one that's live at Budokan transcends the original.

Beyond This Life is easily my least favorite song off of Scenes, not counting Regression of course. It's just extremely long without going anywhere IMO. It rocks hard, but after like 5 or 6 minutes in I'm like "okay...move along now".

The Budokan version is better but it's also way too damn long. DT are extremely self-indulgent but that was just overkill.

Favorite song off of Scenes is Home, without a doubt. That one's long but it doesn't drag for me.

• Like 2

I've been listening to The Astonishing more and am liking it. It definitely needs to be trimmed down, but the songs that stand out really stand out for me.

BRACE YOURSELF

KNEEL BEFORE

NEFARYUS

:haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 2

I've been listening to The Astonishing more and am liking it. It definitely needs to be trimmed down, but the songs that stand out really stand out for me.

BRACE YOURSELF

KNEEL BEFORE

NEFARYUS

I know right? As i said i have cooled on it. but it is better then anybody here is giving it credit for.

Mick

BRACE YOURSELF

KNEEL BEFORE

NEFARYUS

I know right? As i said i have cooled on it. but it is better then anybody here is giving it credit for.

Mick

That's your opinion. Lolsies

• Like 1

BRACE YOURSELF

KNEEL BEFORE

NEFARYUS

Mick

They have plenty to be proud of for making it, but it's too niche to appeal to all of their fans. So it's not going to be constantly heralded as their best work like Awake or Six Degrees or (to some people, not me) Images and Words.

• Like 1

BRACE YOURSELF

KNEEL BEFORE

NEFARYUS

Mick

They have plenty to be proud of for making it, but it's too niche to appeal to all of their fans. So it's not going to be constantly heralded as their best work like Awake or Six Degrees or (to some people, not me) Images and Words.

i agree. it should have been edited a lot. but no matter what is said......it is a ballsy undertaking. I'm glad they did what they felt even if it is uneven.

Mick

• Like 1

BRACE YOURSELF

KNEEL BEFORE

NEFARYUS

Mick

the right opinion........loser

tee-hee

Mick

BRACE YOURSELF

KNEEL BEFORE

NEFARYUS

Mick

i agree. it should have been edited a lot. but no matter what is said......it is a ballsy undertaking. I'm glad they did what they felt even if it is uneven.

Mick

Those who don't particularly like that album shouldn't have to worry because these guys don't really take a long break. Assuming they don't call it quits next album, either live or studio, will probably be out or announced by the end of next year.

I think a live recording of this album would help it out quite a bit. As long as LaBrie continues to sing well and doesn't sound like shit like he did on Scenes from New York.

• Like 1

BRACE YOURSELF

KNEEL BEFORE

NEFARYUS

Mick

the right opinion........loser

tee-hee

Mick

Tick? Is that you?

• Like 1

BRACE YOURSELF

KNEEL BEFORE

NEFARYUS

Mick

Mick

Those who don't particularly like that album shouldn't have to worry because these guys don't really take a long break. Assuming they don't call it quits next album, either live or studio, will probably be out or announced by the end of next year.

I think a live recording of this album would help it out quite a bit. As long as LaBrie continues to sing well and doesn't sound like shit like he did on Scenes from New York.

I don't mind it now. I was so disappointed it sapped my enjoyment of the band but now I've calmed down...I just look forward to the next.

It isn't their worst album anyway. And I still give it a 6/10.

• Like 1

BRACE YOURSELF

KNEEL BEFORE

NEFARYUS

Mick

Mick

I don't mind it now. I was so disappointed it sapped my enjoyment of the band but now I've calmed down...I just look forward to the next.

That's good. I have to be honest when you said the one album. killed the band for you......i had to restrain myself.

lol.......i was so close to going off.

Hot headed new yorker.

Mick

BRACE YOURSELF

KNEEL BEFORE

NEFARYUS

Mick

Mick

That's good. I have to be honest when you said the one album. killed the band for you......i had to restrain myself.

Hot headed new yorker.

Mick

I did say it was only for the moment! The same thing happened with Kilroy and Styx, remember?

Actually the same thing happened with you and Styx over one aspect haha.

• Like 1

BRACE YOURSELF

KNEEL BEFORE

NEFARYUS

Mick

Mick

Hot headed new yorker.

Mick

I did say it was only for the moment! The same thing happened with Kilroy and Styx, remember?

that's why i stopped myself, lol

i was like Mick you idiot......you've said similar stuff.

Mick

BRACE YOURSELF

KNEEL BEFORE

NEFARYUS

Mick

Mick

Hot headed new yorker.

Mick

Mick

Like...Lacuna Coil suck...

Bon Jovi sucks...

High Water sucks...

I am just waiting for the impending Camel infatuation hahaha

BRACE YOURSELF

KNEEL BEFORE

NEFARYUS

Mick

Mick

Hot headed new yorker.

Mick

Mick

Bon Jovi sucks...

High Water sucks...

I think you'll get to Camel befor me.

we should make this a bet, lol

i'm waiting on your Tom Waits deep dive.......which i still have hope will happen.

Mick

BRACE YOURSELF

KNEEL BEFORE

NEFARYUS

Mick

Mick

Hot headed new yorker.

Mick

Mick

Bon Jovi sucks...

High Water sucks...

I think you'll get to Camel befor me.

we should make this a bet, lol

i'm waiting on your Tom Waits deep dive.......which i still have hope will happen.

Mick

I LIKE TOM WAITS HE JUST ISN'T MY CURRENT STYLE!

Plus...I have heard three albums.

• Like 1

I took a 2 week break from The Astonishing and listened again this week. The result was a refreshing listen where I heard stuff differently, and the material came to life big time. Songs like Moment of Betrayal, The Walking Shadow, My Last Farewell and others have a life they didn't have.

Its amazing how this works with music. Sometimes the best thing you can do is stop listening to something for a bit and then return to it down the road. It adds new dimension and perspective.

• Like 3

I took a 2 week break from The Astonishing and listened again this week. The result was a refreshing listen where I heard stuff differently, and the material came to life big time. Songs like Moment of Betrayal, The Walking Shadow, My Last Farewell and others have a life they didn't have.

Its amazing how this works with music. Sometimes the best thing you can do is stop listening to something for a bit and then return to it down the road. It adds new dimension and perspective.

I sorta did the same thing. I have revisited it the last few days and it is still just as good as I thought it was when I listened to it non-stop the first month it was out. I agree with those who say it could have been a little shorter, but there are many, many great songs on this record, and the record as a whole, while long, just works.

I did the same thing last night. Went back and listened to the first disc again. Turns out I knew most of the words, and got more enjoyment out of it, than I ever did in the first two weeks it was out. Still haven't put any effort into the second disc.

I would rather listen to the new Heavy Crown album than "The Astonishing" and hey I liked this album after a few listens. Then it just got boring.

Heavy Crown is a hash mash of old DIO band members. A cash grab cover band slab. Just like current Dream Theater.

I will always be "Caught In A Web." Real DT.

Tick is insane everyone!

HAHA

Good shit. From Scenes to Systematic they were the best in the world at what they do. The rest can bite me.

IMO these guys seem to put out an awesome album every other album, with the ones in between either being not great or just terrible.

Awake: :yes:

FII: :no: :no: :no:

Scenes: :yes:

6DOIT: :yes:

ToT: :unsure:

Octavarium: :yes:

SC: :no:

BCSL: :yes:

ADToE: :unsure:

DT12: :yes:

The Astonishing: :unsure:

For the most part, I share your sentiments. The only exceptions being FII which I like to an extent and Black Clouds which I find patchy though less than the 80% turdfest of SC. The DT albums I enjoy, I really love; while the ones I don't are some of the most forgettable albums I've ever listened to. This extreme love and hate relationship I have with the band is probably why I don't hold them in higher regard compared to every band on my top 10 list of personal favorite bands.

I would rather listen to the new Heavy Crown album than "The Astonishing" and hey I liked this album after a few listens. Then it just got boring.

Heavy Crown is a hash mash of old DIO band members. A cash grab cover band slab. Just like current Dream Theater.

I will always be "Caught In A Web." Real DT.

Heavy Crown is better for sure, a lot better.