Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 21 2009, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ May 21 2009, 12:00 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 21 2009, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ May 21 2009, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ May 21 2009, 09:56 AM)
QUOTE (Soni @ May 21 2009, 04:55 AM)
God, the three last songs are just perfect! Exactly what I want DT to sound like!
The Count of Tuscany is one of the best epic tracks they've ever produced, up there with A Change Of Seasons and 6DOIT

I've heard that TCoT is the best DT in years. Yet, is that song enough to justify the purchase?

Sure it is Gomp, its a 20 minute song ! Tear down those walls you have have placed between yourself and the musical mastery of DT !

never , ever happen........................... no.gif

I beg to differ. The direction DT took towards metal, to me, was a waste in precious Prog rock talent. Octavarium has some excellent material but SC totally upset the apple cart. I have a love/hate relationship with these guys. I was a diehard fan until SFAM was released. That's when the doubts came in.

i think they do metal just fine. the first 3 albums really don't do anything for me and i never listen to them . i would take SFAM and after over the first 3 in a heart beat.

1022.gif

OMG! I&W and Awake are brilliant! FII had some excellent moments as well. With SFAM, they started sounding to predictable and contrived. About a year after picking it up, I started not liking it so much after an intense love affair. It was for a time, probably the best bit of music bar none.

Ok...so...after listening to 'The Count of Tuscany' at least 30 times in its entirety and the last 5:00 AT LEAST 75 times...if they do not play this song live, I think I will never go to another DT concert!

This song must absolutely be played live...has to happen. If it isn't, I will be so F U C K I N G pissed it's not funny...I don't know what I'll do if it is not played live.

The new DT kicks ass! I don't remember enjoying a new DT this much since Six Degrees. I think this is their best album since Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence or Train Of Thought.

I don't dislike the last two albums, but I thought Octavarium and Systematic Chaos were really weak and full of cheesy moments. Black Clouds seems to have the band fully energized and experimenting again. cool.gif

I've only listened to the leak twice so far, but A Nightmare To Remember, Wither, and The Count of Tuscany were the songs that jumped out at me initially. And I love all the musical footnotes from earlier albums in The Shattered Fortress. smile.gif

Edited by Spindrift82

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 19 2009, 03:56 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 19 2009, 03:52 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 19 2009, 03:51 PM)
I'm... uh... going to see DT live this summer.

bolt.gif

653.gif good for you. i knew you would come around laugh.gif nah, you will dig it

1022.gif

There's no denying the talent of the instrumentalists, who all have awesome chops on their respective instruments.

But there's still these three problems:

1. The vocalist!

2. The lyrics!

3. The huge egos some of the members have.

The only thing about JLB is his voice doesn't hold up live sometimes. I got Live Scenes from NY not long ago and his voice is a lot better on there than say, Live at the Budokan.

But in the studio I think his voice is awesome.

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ May 25 2009, 09:31 AM)
Just wanna say love the new album and can't wait for the official release.

Me either, but I refuse to listen to any leaked stuff when I can pay for it legitly and support the band that way. (No offense to those who don't here of course).

That being said, I just hope the new album sounds like DREAM THEATER and not Metallica or Muse or whatever. I enjoy a lot of their stuff but every now and then you'll hear a song that just sounds too much like something else and not DT. The Count of Tuscany sounds GREAT though, I can't wait to hear it!

Lately I've been listening to ToT and I&W. They have the two songs with my favorite instrumental breaks: Metropolis & Endless Sacrifice. Can't get enough of these puppies (just ask my poor family who has to listen to them along with me in the car ad nauseum tongue.gif ) ToT to me is probably the one DT album I can listen to all the time and not get sick of.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 25 2009, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE (nappy2112 @ May 25 2009, 09:31 AM)
Just wanna say love the new album and can't wait for the official release.

Me either, but I refuse to listen to any leaked stuff when I can pay for it legitly and support the band that way. (No offense to those who don't here of course).

That being said, I just hope the new album sounds like DREAM THEATER and not Metallica or Muse or whatever. I enjoy a lot of their stuff but every now and then you'll hear a song that just sounds too much like something else and not DT. The Count of Tuscany sounds GREAT though, I can't wait to hear it!

Lately I've been listening to ToT and I&W. They have the two songs with my favorite instrumental breaks: Metropolis & Endless Sacrifice. Can't get enough of these puppies (just ask my poor family who has to listen to them along with me in the car ad nauseum tongue.gif ) ToT to me is probably the one DT album I can listen to all the time and not get sick of.

Oh I am buying the 3cd set for sure , and I don't think there's any harm in looking or in this case listening to something before you buy it.

Once again...just gotta say that 'The Count of Tuscany' is the greatest piece of music ever written. It has now become my all-time favourite Dream Theater song.

Sorry to rant here, but this is the only place that I'm allowed to without getting in trouble!! Made all of my friends listen to it. My DT buds, my metalhead buds, my gino beats buds, my rap buds...and they all love the song. That's gotta mean something!

1022.gif DT 1022.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ May 26 2009, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (PlaysLikeMyung @ May 25 2009, 08:51 PM)
(I'm a regular poster on dreamtheaterforums.org).

i'm so sorry.

You can't help it, your Fledgehog.

QUOTE (PlaysLikeMyung @ May 26 2009, 12:27 PM)
The lyrics to TCOT are just.... awful.

Well people criticized him for all the 'Dark Master' vampire-like lyrics on SC, so give him a break....

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ May 28 2009, 01:18 PM)

Well people criticized him for all the 'Dark Master' vampire-like lyrics on SC, so give him a break....

I actually liked the Dark Master lyrics. The Slaughter of the Damned and Reckoning sections of Part two are criticized too much.

TCOT lyrics are just ridiculous. I mean, I love the song, but the lyrics.... damn.

"Let me introduce

My brother

A bearded gentleman

Historian"

Sucking on his pipe

Distinguished accents

Making me uptight

No accident

WHY IS HE UPTIGHT???

QUOTE (PlaysLikeMyung @ May 29 2009, 07:12 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ May 28 2009, 01:18 PM)

I actually liked the Dark Master lyrics. The Slaughter of the Damned and Reckoning sections of Part two are criticized too much.

TCOT lyrics are just ridiculous. I mean, I love the song, but the lyrics.... damn.

"Let me introduce

My brother

A bearded gentleman

Historian"

Sucking on his pipe

Distinguished accents

Making me uptight

No accident

WHY IS HE UPTIGHT???

i listened to the beginning and i was like woah wtf this is great, but then the lyrics... damn tongue.gif im glad some people agree with me

QUOTE (PlaysLikeMyung @ May 26 2009, 10:27 AM)
The Count of Tuscany is my second favorite off the album (behind The Best of Times). The lyrics to TCOT are just.... awful.

After not liking anything after SFAM.......I took a quick listen to that song, and I like it....up until he starts singing. His vocals flat out suck.....sounds like he's getting worse (if that's possible).

I disliked the lyrics the first time I heard 'The Count'...but after I read them without listening to the music...the story makes so much sense. It's based on a true story as well apparently. On a trip that Petrucci was on, he met someone who "frightened" him and I guess this is what happened or what he felt was going to happen.

But yeah, that part with 'Historian...distinguished accent' sounds a bit cheese with the melody, but it works really well with the story...but COME ON...THE SONG ITSELF IS THE GREATEST!! It is now my all-time favourite DT track. So powerful and melodic.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 29 2009, 11:35 PM)
The Count of Tuscany is my second favorite off the album (behind The Best of Times). The lyrics to TCOT are just.... awful.

After not liking anything after SFAM.......I took a quick listen to that song, and I like it....up until he starts singing. His vocals flat out suck.....sounds like he's getting worse (if that's possible).

I disagree. The music has been written to fit his voice. It'll never be what it once was, but James still sounds fantastic. Seeing him live in '07 really made me appreciate all he went through. What a stellar performance.

After three listens to the album, it gets 3.5 of 5 stars. I will write a review eventually and post it over at ProgArchives. Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (PlaysLikeMyung @ May 30 2009, 10:35 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 29 2009, 11:35 PM)

I disagree. The music has been written to fit his voice. It'll never be what it once was, but James still sounds fantastic. Seeing him live in '07 really made me appreciate all he went through. What a stellar performance.

Yeah, I have to say that James sounds fantastic on this album... IMO it's his best performance this decade. I love the way his voice sounds on this album, especially at the end of TCOT, it's beautiful!

Okay.... It looks like I am not going to be out of the state by July....SO! I get paid on Friday.. and will buy my tickets for the Atlanta show soon after..

Anyone else going to the Atlanta show?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 1 2009, 01:52 AM)
Okay.... It looks like I am not going to be out of the state by July....SO! I get paid on Friday.. and will buy my tickets for the Atlanta show soon after..

Anyone else going to the Atlanta show?

Isn't Asheville closer to you than Atlanta?

Either way, glad to hear you are going to catch a show!

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 30 2009, 12:00 PM)
After three listens to the album, it gets 3.5 of 5 stars. I will write a review eventually and post it over at ProgArchives.

ohmy.gif You like it ?

"Its the big one Elizabeth ! I'm coming to join ya honey !"

tongue.gif