Chinese Democracy might actually be released

PuppetKing2112

OK, Slash did some interview this week to hype Velvet Revolver or whatever, and he said that Axl has finished recording Chinese Democracy and it's coming out in March, all from very reliable sources.

Opinions? Do you think it's actually coming out?

I'm going to be hopeful.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 5 2006, 09:21 PM)
I'll take Scott Weiland over Axl every time.

I wouldn't. Axl is one of my favorite vocalists of all time, he's sort of in the love-him-or-hate-him category with Bob Dylan, Thom Yorke, Billy Corgan, and a certain singer for some Canadian band called Rush that I've been meaning to check out.

I couldn't agree more, I'd take VR over GnR any day now. I saw Velvet Revolver this last year and it was one of the best gigs I've ever seen.

Conversely, GnR, when I saw them headline Leeds Fest in 2002, were a bit tired. Kinda like a GnR tribute band.

I am HUGELY skeptical of Chinese Democracy. Considering Axl is the only creative force behind this new release, and the pure rock element of the bands former self is gone, I dont see how it could compare. After the last released single he did, that laughable addition to the Hulk soundtrack, I highly doubt this material will come close to previous works. I will give it a listen though.

I just can't get excited about GnR anymore confused13.gif Appetite for Destruction is one of the best rock albums ever I think yes.gif as it was raw and dirty and had rock n roll written all over it. That was their moment, but who knows......anything's possible right??? 1022.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 6 2006, 01:06 AM)

I wouldn't. Axl is one of my favorite vocalists of all time, he's sort of in the love-him-or-hate-him category with Bob Dylan, Thom Yorke, Billy Corgan, and a certain singer for some Canadian band called Rush that I've been meaning to check out.

I LOVE all of the other singers you mentioned (Well, I'm not sure what Canadian band you're talking about, but...) but I can't stand Axl. I may listen just for Buckethead, if he's there. I liked him with Les Claypool, so I may like him here.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 5 2006, 08:06 PM)

hahahahah goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 6 2006, 03:57 PM)
If this thing is released, which I still heavily doubt, it say G&R on the cover, but it won't be G&R. Without Slash, Izzy & Duff, G&R is dead.

My sentiments exactly..sure Axl is an unique singer and all but his egotistical, arrogant personality is very tiresome. schla03.gif G n'R are absolutely nothing without the others. For me personally I began using my disillusion ( tongue.gif ) when Izzy left the band...Went all downhill from there....Really Axl should regard Chinese Democracy as a solo album but of course he wouldn't sell tons of albums without the GnR name on it sarcasm.gif I've heard bootlegs of some of the new songs live and frankly I'm not too impressed....

His disrespect for fans is also such a turnoff....an example being the link from before....Axl got security to kick out this guy who apparently was wearing a Slash t-shirt...this is from Rock in Rio in Brazil...

http://youtube.com/watch.php?v=UNbegshROUY&search=axl

Here is a new song called Madagascar(live from Rock in Rio)..like I said, I'm not too impressed...

http://youtube.com/w/Guns-N%27-Roses-Madag...es%20madagascar

Between live bootlegs and internet leaks, I have now heard about half of the album, and unlike most of you I am very impressed with what I have heard.

Madagascar is a very cool song...great melody, a cool beat, good synths, and I actually like the movie samples in the middle.

The Blues is probably the song Axl was talking about when he described some of this album as "Queen-like". This song is a really good Queenlike piano ballad. In fact, Brian May is rumoured to play the guitar solo.

Chinese Democracy is more hard-rocking than the last two, as is Rhiad and the Bedouins (sp?). The only recodrdings I have heard of these are shitty-quality live versions, but I liked what I could make out. Chinese Democracy has some very cool guitar distortion at the beginning.

Silk Worms was performed at Rock in Rio in 2001. This is the strangest track of the available songs. Mostly keyboard driven, feels sort of like a horror-movie score.

A new track leaked just yesterday. IRS had leaked before as a shitty-quality demo, but I have a really good studio version now. This one has a very heavy NIN influence, very technoish, but with some acoustic guitar passages. It all flows together quite well.

An 80-second demo of Better was also leaked online last night. This one I can't really comment on, because I haven't heard enough of the song to really get an idea, but what I did hear sounds like a cross between IRS and Silkworms. I like it.

I am looking forward to this. I don't care what anyone says.

Regarding G n' R, I have heard better sounds whizzing from a pigs butt. I hate that band. I hated their music when it was a new band I hate almost everything they have ever done. Axl sounds worse than nails on a chalkboard. I personally hope it never comes out. Just becuase millions of people buy it, that doesn't make it good. Maybe if Gn'R had scott weiland from the start it would've been awesome. I just can't handle someone sound like and operator sucking on helium while getting kicked in the nuts. To me that's not singing.

062802puke_prv.gif

Last night Eddie Trunk, a DJ in New York, had Sebastian bach and Scott Ian on his show, and Sebastian called Axl's cell from the studio and told him to come by. About a half hour later, Axl walked in and stayed for like an hour. Cleared up a lot of rumours. Main points:

Chinese Democracy will be released this fall. It will be a regular CD, not a double or a triple as had been rumoured.

The band is rehearsing for their four warmup shows in NY in the next couple weeks, as well as their upcoming European tour this summer.

There will be no reunion of the original lineup for any of the shows. These rumours have been going around for a few months, and Axl shot them down on this interview.

The current lineup of GNR is the same as the one from 2002, minus Buckethead, plus a third guitarist who Axl said cannot be revealed until shows start. So: Axl, Dizzy Reed, Chris Pittman, Robin Finck, Richard Fortus, Tommy Stinson, Brian mantia, and a mystery third guitarist. Axl said that it will NOT be someone who has been in the band before (so no Slash, Izzy, Gilby Clark, etc).

Axl said that he is ready to do it this time. The reason the 2002 thing didn't work out was because it wasn't really coming from Axl - he was basically talked into doing the tour. But at the same time, he said the band needed to do those shows so they would feel more like a real band. This time, Axl is ready to do this for himself, get out into the world, play these shows, put the record out.

He seemed to be in a pretty good mood...even when the recent leaks were brought up, he seemed pretty personable. (He hasn't listened to the leaks, he said). Didn't walk out, didn't get mad at anyone, gave us some new info.

I have audio of the entire interview if anyone is interested. Let's hope he is right and it actually IS coming out in the fall.

I won't be going to the tour if there's no Buckethead. That was the only way I would've wented. After Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains album, I knew that dude was amazing, and was going to be the reason I would go to a GnR show.

Archived