Greatest guitarists IMHO

floydfanatic111

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Dec 3 2005, 10:09 PM)

Rolling Stone voted Cobain #10 for greatest guitarist.

That's why serious music fans don't take Rolling Stone seriously. They don't recognize talent, only popularity and record sales. I like several of Nirvana's songs, but whatever talent Cobain had, it wasn't in his guitar playing skills.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Dec 3 2005, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Dec 3 2005, 07:00 PM)
Don't forget about Nancy Wilson! biggrin.gif

Nancy is a great rhythm player.

rhythm yes for the most part. But other songs it's evident that she takes the lead. Too many to name. But she is great biggrin.gif smile.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (anagramking @ Dec 4 2005, 05:52 PM)
(though whenever I hear Yngwie, I don't know exactly what it was that I just heard, but it sounds cool).

Clasical scales turned up on 11, real fast. More times than not he is ripping in a harmonic minor scale. That's usually what you are hearing. laugh.gif

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Dec 3 2005, 10:09 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 3 2005, 06:17 PM)
Chet Atkins smokes a lot of those mentioned IMO. Unless we are just talking about great rock guitarists only. Good list though, can't argue with most picks, maybe not the order they are in or anything but they all are great as far as I am concerned.

As far as Kurt Cobain being an overrated guitar player, I don't know too many who rate him very high as a guitar player so I don't see him as being an overrated guitar player. He's a great song writer though. His guitar playing is very limited but he did what it took to get his point across.

Rolling Stone voted Cobain #10 for greatest guitarist. Blackmore was neutured as far as guitar playing goes after disbanding Rainbow in 1996.

Also, the Rolling stones picked Jack White of the White Stripes as #17 on the top 100 guitarist list. So I don't have a lot of faith in anything they say. I wouldn't let them sway my decision on who is overrated by anything they say. I bet you could go out on the streets and ask 10,000 people who the top 20 guitar players are and if more than 1 person said Jack White I would be surprized.

Also, Rolling stones picked Joey Ramone as #16 best guitar player of all time. I mean, Joey is a cool guy and he's a punk god and everything but #16? LOL

I think the Rolling Stones top 100 list is a joke. I see a lot of great guitarists named on this thread, some very nice picks. None which I would laugh at (well one pick I chuckled a little bit) but when I read the Rolling Stones list I laughed several times and wondered who the hell comes up with that shit. It doesn't come close to reflecting a true rating according to music fans around the world.

For the reord, I don't think Kurt Cobain was all that great on guitar but he is probably at least as good as Joey Ramone and Jack White. According to the Rolling Stones list I would say 25% of it is overrated guitar players according to their rating lol.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Dec 4 2005, 03:52 PM)
Besides no Vai, there's no Eric Johnson, no Joe Satriani, and no Yngwie (though whenever I hear Yngwie, I don't know exactly what it was that I just heard, but it sounds cool).

Exactly. And missing another huge one too....PETER FRAMPTON !!!!

These threads are sorta pointless. If it was who's the greatest golfer in the world then there would be no missing the point.

Edited by launchpad67a

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Dec 3 2005, 08:47 PM)
QUOTE (ABZ Highlander @ Dec 3 2005, 08:46 PM)
In the dead category, Frank Zappa, absolutely stunning!!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif yes.gif 1022.gif

I'm not sure what it says about me, but to this day I cannot get into to Frank Zappa. Some of Vai's stuff is good, but some of it I hesitate to call music.

QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Dec 3 2005, 08:35 PM)
Finally someone here likes Steve Clark!! although i dont think Jimmi was that great of a guitarist, but i like the list!!!

scared.gif

doh.gif

Steve Clark good?

Jimmi bad?

doh.gif

laugh.gif

Nick Harper, son of Roy Harper. You need to see him live to believe it. I've seen him twice live and the guy is unbelievable. Changes guitar tuning during a song, has a superb voice to match his excellent guitar skills and does a version of Public Enemy's Black steel in the hour of choas on an acoustic. His studio stuff isn't great, live is what he's all about. I was in Bratislava when he last played Liverpool a few months ago, I was gutted I missed out. Edited by ZAPPA

QUOTE (anagramking @ Dec 4 2005, 05:52 PM)
Besides no Vai, there's no Eric Johnson, no Joe Satriani, and no Yngwie (though whenever I hear Yngwie, I don't know exactly what it was that I just heard, but it sounds cool).

Vai was too showboatish for my taste as was Eric Johnson, Yngwie plays like what Gene Simmons would aptly put an angry bee as does Joe Satriani.

I forgot, Mick Ronson was a great guitarist too, watch the Ziggy Stardust DVD from 1973 tour, he was fantastic.

This guy is worth mentioning a few times in a thread such as this.

http://www.ridefordime.com/pics/gravesite/PB270016.JPG

i really like steve morse alot.ritche blackmore is also a fav.

Like the list.....like to add

Al Dimeola

Frank Marino