Greatest guitarists IMHO

floydfanatic111

I know I will be panned but here it goes, I divided it into living and dead categories.

Greatest LIVING guitarists:

1)David Gilmour and Alex Lifeson(tied)(their playing improved over time and are both superb guitarists)

2)Brian May(his playing has grown to mythical proportions)

3)Jimmy Page

4)Eric Clapton

5)Pete Townshend

6)Tom Morello

7)Steve Hackett

8)Steve Howe

9)Joe Walsh

10)Don Felder

11)Dave Murray of Iron Maiden

12)Eddie Van Halen(though a bit too overrated)

13)Ace Frehley

14)James "JY" Young

15)Rik Emmett

16)Tony Iommi

17)Neal Schon

18)Ted Nugent

19)Roger Hodgson

20)Keith Richards

Greatest DEAD guitarists:

1)Jimi Hendrix(shame he didn't grow more as drugs ruined him by 1970, he was sloppy by 1970 due to heroin use)

2)Stevie Ray Vaughan

3)Randy Rhoads

4)Duane Allman(no one could play slide as good as him)

5)Rod Price of Foghat(another great slide master)

6)Steve Clark of Def Leppard

Overrated guitarists:

Kurt Cobain

Jack White

any buttard Rolling Stone picked

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great picks. I would like to mention James Taylor. I'm not saying he's a great technical player, but he is tight. Have you ever heard his stuff on the Stern show? You can't fake that shit. He is so tight it's scary. Imagine having that talent at a party. Actually being able to pick up a guitar and play...and sing so well. I find his finger pick style hard to replicate.

Chogbin

My first reaction is, Where's Ritchie Blackmore? I'd also add Vinnie Moore to the list (not just because I saw him open for Rush on the Roll the Bones tour, but because I think he's really a good and interesting guitar player). And Stevie Ray should precede Jimi. yes.gif

A few names there are unfamiliar, but I won't humiliate myself by saying which. wink.gif

To add a few more not already mentioned....

I expect I'll get panned for this in here but I couldn't leave John Petrucci out of any list.

Richie Blackmore was my long-time idol until he turned into a garden gnome.

Always had a lot of admiration for Nuno Bettencourt of Extreme.

Honourable mentions to Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult, Gary Moore and Michael Schenker of UFO

In a less heavy vein, Mark Knoppfler takes the prize.

Anyone here heard of Marc Bonilla?

Chet Atkins smokes a lot of those mentioned IMO. Unless we are just talking about great rock guitarists only. Good list though, can't argue with most picks, maybe not the order they are in or anything but they all are great as far as I am concerned.

As far as Kurt Cobain being an overrated guitar player, I don't know too many who rate him very high as a guitar player so I don't see him as being an overrated guitar player. He's a great song writer though. His guitar playing is very limited but he did what it took to get his point across.

Edited by Indica

Without saying Al would be my number one pick, but I agree with some of the original list but would have to add Dimebag to the dead list as well as Chris Oliva from Savatage. To the living list, rock only... i would add Tool's Adam Jones. He's a very very very good and highly underrated guitar player. Lack of blazing soloes i guess. To an overall category I would have to say Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac may be one of the best of all time, along with Mark Knopfler. They both have a similar banjo picking type style that just sounds amazing. And for metal... the guy from ManoWar... Karl Logan... is sheer brilliance.

Well that list is a nice idea but a bit limited on scope. I like most of those guys a lot but they are far from the cream of the crop. There are no Jazz players on that list, like Al DiMiola or Allan Holdsworth, or Wes Montgomery or Joe Pass. Plus for rock guys there's no Steve Vai or Steve Morse. Not to mention the likes of Andre Segovia who was quite possibly the greatest guitar player who ever lived. Towards the end his fingers resembled plantanes or bananas, but man could they fly!

smile.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 3 2005, 07:21 PM)
Well that list is a nice idea but a bit limited on scope. I like most of those guys a lot but they are far from the cream of the crop. There are no Jazz players on that list, like Al DiMiola or Allan Holdsworth, or Wes Montgomery or Joe Pass. Plus for rock guys there's no Steve Vai or Steve Morse. Not to mention the likes of Andre Segovia who was quite possibly the greatest guitar player who ever lived. Towards the end his fingers resembled plantanes or bananas, but man could they fly!
smile.gif

What he said!

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Dec 3 2005, 05:55 PM)

1)Jimi Hendrix(shame he didn't grow more as drugs ruined him by 1970, he was sloppy by 1970 due to heroin use)
2)Stevie Ray Vaughan
3)Randy Rhoads

Overrated guitarists:
Kurt Cobain
Jack White

Finally someone here likes Steve Clark!! although i dont think Jimmi was that great of a guitarist, but i like the list!!!

2)Stevie Ray Vaughan
3)Randy Rhoads

Overrated guitarists:
Kurt Cobain
Jack White

Finally someone here likes Steve Clark!! although i dont think Jimmi was that great of a guitarist, but i like the list!!!

QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Dec 3 2005, 08:36 PM)

2)Stevie Ray Vaughan
3)Randy Rhoads

Overrated guitarists:
Kurt Cobain
Jack White

Give me a break..Jimi BLOWS AWAY Steve Clark....Jimi was the one who revolutiomized rock guitar and if Clark was still alive he would tell u the same thing yes.gif

QUOTE (ABZ Highlander @ Dec 3 2005, 08:57 PM)
cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif

Make's the hairs on th back of my neck stand up sometime's ie: Black Napkins, Yo Mama, San Ber'dino, Muffin Man etc trink39.gif

Ever listen to a song called The Mammy Anthem? a great live guitar workout between Frank and Steve Vai...awesome 1022.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 3 2005, 09:48 PM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ Dec 3 2005, 09:41 PM)
Empuu Vuorinen

LMFAO. laugh.gif

Anyway, isn't it Emppu Vuorinen?

Something like that. I'm not Finnish so I wouldn't be able to tell you how he spells his nickname.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Dec 3 2005, 09:49 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 3 2005, 09:48 PM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ Dec 3 2005, 09:41 PM)
Empuu Vuorinen

LMFAO. laugh.gif

Anyway, isn't it Emppu Vuorinen?

Something like that. I'm not Finnish so I wouldn't be able to tell you how he spells his nickname.

My bad, I'm just guessing. You mean thats a made up name? That's heavy metal!!!!

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 3 2005, 06:17 PM)
Chet Atkins smokes a lot of those mentioned IMO. Unless we are just talking about great rock guitarists only. Good list though, can't argue with most picks, maybe not the order they are in or anything but they all are great as far as I am concerned.

As far as Kurt Cobain being an overrated guitar player, I don't know too many who rate him very high as a guitar player so I don't see him as being an overrated guitar player. He's a great song writer though. His guitar playing is very limited but he did what it took to get his point across.

Rolling Stone voted Cobain #10 for greatest guitarist. Blackmore was neutured as far as guitar playing goes after disbanding Rainbow in 1996.